Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 07:47 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,868,570 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm from the core of the south from nothing but southern heritage as far as I can go back. I married a Texan who thinks she is exactly what Aries described... A Texan. But she is southern just as much. Just Texas southern.

The reason Texans think they aren't southern, IMHO, is the need to feel better than other southerners and I just don't buy that. The same kind of inferior attitude that the rest of the country has toward the "core" of the American South. The Texan flavor is unique, yes, based on it having western and Hispanic influence. But it is still the south. Spent all of my life in either GA, AL or TX, so I do have some bearings on which to make this grand proclamation.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:10 PM

16,708 posts, read 29,546,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Well, I'm from the core of the south from nothing but southern heritage as far as I can go back. I married a Texan who thinks she is exactly what Aries described... A Texan. But she is southern just as much. Just Texas southern.

The reason Texans think they aren't southern, IMHO, is the need to feel better than other southerners and I just don't buy that. The same kind of inferior attitude that the rest of the country has toward the "core" of the American South. The Texan flavor is unique, yes, based on it having western and Hispanic influence. But it is still the south. Spent all of my life in either GA, AL or TX, so I do have some bearings on which to make this grand proclamation.
The inferior attitude is a whole other thing.

I am not even thinking in terms of that.

Often, I feel Southerners try to claim "Texas" because of an inferiority complex.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post

Often, I feel Southerners try to claim "Texas" because of an inferiority complex.
I really thought more on your line of thinking prior to coming out here, but three years here in the 80s and just completing my tenth year on my second go round in Texas, it is more southern than I thought from the outside looking in. From a Southerner's point of view at that.

As to my reluctance to embrace your idea of Texas just being "Texas," that sounds like something the EX would say. And that brings up a whole lot of darkness from something not so pleasant in the inner depths. So, there, it is exposing a flaw in my character

Old 11-11-2013, 09:34 PM

23,467 posts, read 44,121,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post

I do not feel inferior to any other region, and as far as claiming Texas I really don't anybody that gives a fig about this. I know I don't.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:45 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,935,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I do not feel inferior to any other region, and as far as claiming Texas I really don't anybody that gives a fig about this. I know I don't.
Ditto. I'm a proud 7th generation Georgian / Southerner and I've NEVER felt inferior to anybody. If I did, what would that say about me?

Let me just say this: A lot of people in other parts of the country most certainly think they are "superior" to Southerners, but most of us who live here know better. The way I see it, Southerners actually have the upper hand. When you spend your whole life being told you're not as good as people from other places, when in fact you know you've got it better ... well, that's just quiet satisfaction.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Oopsies...!

I meant to say some (a few) Southerners in my statement above (I caint correct it now. That's what I get for not checking posts...).

As a pure, 100% Southerner, I was not implying that Southerners in general feel inferior to others at all. Uh, as if.

(But pathetically, there are a few Southerners that do feel inferior for some reason...)

And--the Texas as (not) Southern argument --> totally relevant and extremely important.

Last edited by aries4118; 11-12-2013 at 04:29 AM..

Old 11-12-2013, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

Let me just say this: A lot of people in other parts of the country most certainly think they are "superior" to Southerners, but most of us who live here know better. The way I see it, Southerners actually have the upper hand. When you spend your whole life being told you're not as good as people from other places, when in fact you know you've got it better ... well, that's just quiet satisfaction.

I totally agree.

And in connection to the bolded part above--this is true, sadly. It is worse in some regions (New England, parts of the Mid-Atlantic, West Coast) than in others.

Last edited by aries4118; 11-12-2013 at 04:30 AM..

Old 11-12-2013, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post

As to my reluctance to embrace your idea of Texas just being "Texas," that sounds like something the EX would say. And that brings up a whole lot of darkness from something not so pleasant in the inner depths. So, there, it is exposing a flaw in my character

Old 11-12-2013, 06:45 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,141,983 times
Kind of ironic to see that Southerners say they don't feel superior to anyone LOL when the whole region is historically known for acting if they are superior to people who aren't like them. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Kind of ironic to see that Southerners say they don't feel superior to anyone LOL when the whole region is historically known for acting if they are superior to people who aren't like them. I'm sure you know what I mean.
Oh, darlin', it ain't no act....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta