Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2014, 08:48 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,932,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I'll counter that adoration of Atlanta, and Houston has more trees than you think.
I'm sure there are plenty of people that have that image of anywhere in Texas=desert but Houston's tree cover isn't nearly as expansive as Atlanta's. Sure you have the northern parts around The Woodlands, Conroe, Kingwood and Atascocita and near the city you have lots of cover near Memorial drive but you go out to a place like Katy or Cypress and it's just Gulf coastal plain. Driving in traffic in Atlanta and I'm at least guaranteed to be surrounded by forest or Atlanta's skyline. In Houston the view is just more traffic and frontage roads on flat land unless I'm close to the city and have views of the skyline. All the concrete, road signs and power lines just make for a dreary view most of the time. The sprawl isn't hidden in most of Houston. At least in Atlanta the trees hide a lot of it.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:59 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,775,959 times
sedimenjerry: You bring up another good piont. That's one thing that's nice about metro ATL - the roads are not straight so you don't see two commercial zones and one light industrial zone up ahead of you. You just see a bend and trees. Contrast that with L.A., Detroit, Houston, Dallas, etc where you can sometimes see concrete for miles ahead. Cobb has shown that you can still have very good roads that aren't necessarily straight (ultimately, I think this ends up costing a lot more to get "right").

Old 07-22-2014, 05:42 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,872,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Oh yeah? Oh yeah? We have 100 1,000,000 story buildings under construction every hour! So there!

Btw, if you want to judge an urban area by the number of highrise, first of all you lose to Atlanta and second of all, it's not the way to judge the quality of an urban area. It is things like number of shops, how pedestrian and bike-friendly it is, etc. I look at that video posted earlier and it looks like Uptown Houston is built around the car. So it makes it like Buckhead, Perimeter Center, or Cumberland NOT like intown Atlanta. That's fine for an edge city (I live near Cumberland, so not bashing it) but that doesn't make Houston anything special.

I had an employee from Houston before we were acquired and massive layoffs ensued and she said she loved Atlanta much more than Houston. Things like tree canopy and stuff like that.
Not that its that important, but to use wiki's list of skyscrapers (150M+), in the US its
#1 NYC 235
#2 Chicago 115
#3 Houston 32
#4 Miami 31
#5 Los Angeles 25
#6 San Francisco 21
#7 Dallas 19
#8 Boston 18
#9 Atlanta 17
(Las Vegas & Seattle are #10 at 14).

Old 07-22-2014, 05:45 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,872,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I'm sure there are plenty of people that have that image of anywhere in Texas=desert but Houston's tree cover isn't nearly as expansive as Atlanta's. Sure you have the northern parts around The Woodlands, Conroe, Kingwood and Atascocita and near the city you have lots of cover near Memorial drive but you go out to a place like Katy or Cypress and it's just Gulf coastal plain. Driving in traffic in Atlanta and I'm at least guaranteed to be surrounded by forest or Atlanta's skyline. In Houston the view is just more traffic and frontage roads on flat land unless I'm close to the city and have views of the skyline. All the concrete, road signs and power lines just make for a dreary view most of the time. The sprawl isn't hidden in most of Houston. At least in Atlanta the trees hide a lot of it.
Atlanta is in a forest. Houston isn't. But Houston has plenty of trees except out in Katy or West Cypress where development replaced rice fields. If you are in one of the high rises in downtown, you see pretty much nothing but other high rises, a few freeways and a bunch of trees.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:41 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,300,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Atlanta is in a forest. Houston isn't. But Houston has plenty of trees except out in Katy or West Cypress where development replaced rice fields. If you are in one of the high rises in downtown, you see pretty much nothing but other high rises, a few freeways and a bunch of trees.
Just curious. Wouldn't most folks who want to live in an urban environment not want to live in a forest?
I never understood the "Atlanta's in a forest" bragging while I lived there. To me that just meant lower density, single family subdivision sprawl.

I personally think Houston has just enough tree coverage to enable you to see the expanse of the city and enjoy urban greenery. I like the variety of trees and plants more in Houston as well.

Last edited by R1070; 07-22-2014 at 09:11 PM..

Old 07-22-2014, 09:09 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,511,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deldave1 View Post
i love beautiful atlanta but fast booming houston has learned a lot in the past decade, we have many more tall buildings now than atlanta and dallas combined with 22 under construction or being built. We have a wonderful new neighborhood called "midtown" adjacent to downtown and montrose filled with young professionals who walk, take the rail or even bike to work, just last week, 3 buildings over forty floors started construction. The convention center has tripled the hotels in the city and the parks and trails going into the downtown area have been greatly improved with hundreds of thousands of trees planted. Our "second" downtown" referred to as post oak, or the galleria area is booming with skyscrapers, new places to shop, an improved galleria shopping mall and many more places to walk to. It's taken a long time but the secret is out. Texas, especially houston is the "juggernaught" of the south according to atlantic monthly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsboy View Post
zzzzzzz ....
rotflmao.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:15 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,511,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Just curious. Wouldn't most folks who want to live in an urban environment not want to live in a forest?
I never understand the "Atlanta's in a forest" bragging while I lived there. To me that just meant lower density, single family subdivision sprawl.

I personally think Houston has just enough tree coverage to enable you to see the expanse of the city and enjoy urban greenery. I like the variety of trees and plants more in Houston as well.

You know... New York, Chicago, Miami, Los Angeles, Seattle, and San Francisco are on the water.

Denver, and Salt Lake City are in the mountains.

Phoenix, Las Vegas, Albuquerque, and Santa Fe are in the desert.

No one ever complains or questions folks enjoying those types of scenery.

But Atlanta is a city in a forest and, well, never mind. CHILE

Old 07-22-2014, 09:22 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,916,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post

You know... New York, Chicago, Miami, Los Angeles, Seattle, and San Francisco are on the water.

Preach it!

Old 07-22-2014, 10:00 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post

What about...Chile?

Old 07-22-2014, 10:11 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
There's actually a lot of tree coverage in Houston. This is a pretty common sight.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta