Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 09:07 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
And it will continue to screw northern patrons unless you live in Cobb.
Yeah, now it will not only screw northern patrons, but everybody that travels the top end of the perimeter or 75. The only people benefiting from this are season ticket holder living within walking distance of the stadium. Everybody else gets to enjoy a new found burden. I would be so upset if I lived or traveled through that area.

On another note, how can Cobb commit the hundreds of millions of dollars without running it by the taxpayers first? What funding mechanisms will they be tapping into here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 09:08 AM

246 posts, read 374,764 times
Quote:
And it will continue to screw northern patrons unless you live in Cobb.
I admit that I am biased since I live (and work) in Smyrna, but are you serious that driving over top of 285 is that much worse than driving through the connector before/after games?

Old 11-11-2013, 09:10 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Yeah, now it will not only screw northern patrons, but everybody that travels the top end of the perimeter or 75. The only people benefiting from this are season ticket holder living within walking distance of the stadium. Everybody else just gets to enjoy a new found burden.
I challenge anyone to drive 285w or 75n into Cobb afterwork. Now imagine 40k additional vehicles on those same roads lol.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:11 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
The statement that was released about this says a lot. The sentence about "lack of control over the development of the surrounding area" is probably one of the major reasons why the Braves are leaving Turner Field. The Braves management has been pressuring the City of Atlanta for years to exercise eminent domain, but the City didn't want to deal with the backlash from displacing the mostly poor, black population that live in the neighborhoods near the stadium. So them moving where the money and season ticket holders are plus the chance to have more control over the land surrounding their stadium doesn't surprise me at all.

This isn't good for Summerhill/Grant Park area. The stadium will be 20 years old by the time all is said and done, and what plans will they have for this site?

The area around the Cobb Cloverleaf is already a nightmare during rush hour, imagine tens of thousands of baseball fans on top of that.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:12 AM

246 posts, read 374,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
On another note, how can Cobb commit the hundreds of millions of dollars without running it by the taxpayers first? What funding mechanisms will they be tapping into here?
Cobb hasn't even approved this yet. The Braves have secured the land on their own as a private entity. They did this all on the hush hush & announced it today. I have yet to see anything that says Cobb will fund anything as this is all looking to be funded by the franchise. I am sure there will have to be some things publicly funded (i.e transit improvements & maybe even a rebuild of the cobb cloverleaf), but so far that is all TBD.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:13 AM

63 posts, read 79,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAWjr View Post
Here is the new location. If you know the area, it is between Circle 75 & Windy Ridge. I am a Smyrna resident & this new stadium is less than 10 minutes from my house. I am still not 100% sure how I feel about it.
Interestingly enough, Circle 75 just sold for $45 million to a local developer within the past 3 weeks....

Not calling it collusion, but it's a rather timely coincidence.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:17 AM

924 posts, read 1,455,569 times
Quote:
So where are the out of state Braves fans and fans from the other teams going to stay? That area has a few hotels but not as many as downtown. When fans stayed at the hotels downtown they could take Marta to the stadium. Now if they stay downtown or at a Cobb county hotel all of them will have to drive to the new stadium
There are plenty of hotels in that area for people coming to Braves games, and they are less likely to be full because of other events at the same times as Braves games downtown currently. Also, let's not pretend like MARTA was ever actually convenient to the Ted. Since they are doing mixed-use also there could be a hotel as part of that for all we know today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
What an idiotic idea. Can you imagine working in Cumberland and trying to leave work at 5 on a gameday? No thank you...
Could you imagine working in that area and going straight to a Braves game after work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
I'm sure $670 million would be enough to properly fix whatever problems the current stadium has. The new location seems out of place. A huge baseball stadium with multiple corporate offices right next to it? I don't get it. I'm sure it'll look nice though.
Lots of people there during the week who can go to weeknight games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I hate to hear this for you folks in Arlanta. Ballparks belong in an urban location or urban setting. Not some suburb. I'm a Rangers fan and there's always discussions about moving the team to either downtown Dallas or downtown Fort Worth because the experience outside the stadium sucks.
This area really isn't all that suburban really. It is a huge jobs center by itself and has a lot of stuff nearby. Turner Field now is actually disconnected from downtown and has literally nothing outside the stadium besides parking lots and isn't convenient to downtown or Marta currently. It has the potential to be a much better gameday experience overall especially if they could get transit access to the area.

Quote:
I challenge anyone to drive 285w or 75n into Cobb afterwork. Now imagine 40k additional vehicles on those same roads lol.
You are assuming no one in the area would be the ones going to the games wrongly and apparently with 40k extra vehicles every single person at the games will be individuals driving by themselves...

Old 11-11-2013, 09:18 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,418 times
Quote:
Cobb hasn't even approved this yet. The Braves have secured the land on their own as a private entity. They did this all on the hush hush & announced it today. I have yet to see anything that says Cobb will fund anything as this is all looking to be funded by the franchise. I am sure there will have to be some things publicly funded (i.e transit improvements & maybe even a rebuild of the cobb cloverleaf), but so far that is all TBD.
Hmmm, I thought I read somewhere that Cobb will be spending some money on this.

Ok, from that pdf I can't find now -

Quote:
• The estimated cost of the stadium, parking and related infrastructure is roughly $672 million. The Braves will be a significant investor, along with Cobb County, in the project. In addition, the Braves will cover all cost overruns for the construction of the stadium.
• Plans call for the stadium to be owned by the Cobb-*‐Marietta Coliseum and Exhibit Hall Authority, which also owns the Cobb Galleria Centre and Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre.
I would think that they would have some sort of assurance from the county before making such a confident announcement like this.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:18 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,629,675 times
Quote:
I admit that I am biased since I live (and work) in Smyrna, but are you serious that driving over top of 285 is that much worse than driving through the connector before/after games?
I live in Smyrna and work in Dekalb. I have to take 285 daily to get to and from work. By the time I get off at 4:30 the Braves traffic is already backed up past 400 to get to the stadium. Now all that traffic will have to take 285 to get to the new stadium. I would say at least half of the fans would get on Marta at Doraville to get downtown. The fans in Alpharetta could get on Marta at the Sandy Springs/etc stations. Since Cobb does not have Marta all of those fans that drive and take Marta into downtown are going to be forced to get on 285w to Cobb Co. Now traffic is bad getting into downtown now WITH Marta now imagine how it will be in Cobb with no Marta connections and traffic that is already bad

Old 11-11-2013, 09:19 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,379,079 times
John Shurholtz, in an interview I saw this morning, mentioned the Braves "owning" the new stadium. So, perhaps all Cobb is giving them, if anything, are tax breaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta