Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 06:07 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
And really, should more libraries be built in this Information Age?
Yep, they're needed more than ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 10:01 AM

989 posts, read 1,743,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Yep, they're needed more than ever.
I agree, we just need to evolve in our definition of library. I think instead of paperbacks books, it can be a place were people meet and are provided with access to information.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:57 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
Also keep in mind they are widely used to help schools with their English/Language Art Curriculums, especially K through 8.

The benefit of the library is there are many other schools, than libraries, and libraries can pool together resources better and make them more effective for kids from multiple schools. And not every school/class/student needs access to the same book at the same time.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:03 PM

284 posts, read 590,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
I agree, we just need to evolve in our definition of library. I think instead of paperbacks books, it can be a place were people meet and are provided with access to information.
Yes! They provide space for community meetings, classes, exhibits, and provide access to the internet to many who otherwise could not afford it. They also offer access to historic archives, special collections pertinent to the community, and genealogical resources, either in house or via lending services.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:13 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,963,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
That is the old Capital View Baptist Church.

I would have loved for it to have been renovated, but that building was neglected and abandoned for many years and far gone.

It was recently demolished.
Dang. I could have sworn it was still there when I drove by last week. Since I don't live on that side of the city anymore, I don't see it as much. Oh well.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:15 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
Yea it happened pretty fast and took me by surprise as well.

I found a blurb online at one point online that mentioned they looked at preserving it and they looked at incorporating parts of it into a new building and the library system stated it as cost prohibitive. Not sure how good the source is.

https://trello.com/c/2oJlAlLp/171-13...baptist-church

Old 07-24-2014, 12:46 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,778,928 times
I think Capital View Manor would be a good investment, especially if you live in that property versus rent it out (which may still be risky). I own an investment property in the Pittsburgh neighborhood just North of Capital View Manor, and Pittsburgh was the hardest hit and slowest to recover even if for a time prices weren't much different between neighborhoods. Everything around Pittsburgh including Capital View Manor, Adair Park, Summerhill, Peoplestown and to a lesser degree Mechancsville have shot up faster. But they still look to have a ways to go if Summerhill is any indication.

If there were any neighborhoods that could hold Capitol View Manor back, it'd be Pittsburgh and Oakland City. However... even Pittsburgh and Oakland City are already showing tell-tale signs of gentrification starting to take hold, including the typical huge swings in median sale price and ramping up of listing price..

And obviously the other neighborhoods around Pittsburgh, including Capitol View Manor, are further along. E.g. Adair Park looks to be about a year into it. I haven't really kept an eye on Capitol View Manor itself but did notice that all of a sudden it has appeared to "pop".

Also, I noticed that 60% of Capitol View Manor has a college degree. It's the highest around until you get to around Grant Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta