Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2014, 01:26 PM

858 posts, read 1,387,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The new location is accessible by only 1 mode of transportation, cars.
Whoa there... I agree that putting it somewhere with no rail transit is kind of stupid given how things are changing in this city, but let's be honest about the fact that CCT runs a direct line to MARTA's Arts Center Station from a terminal that's as close to the new stadium as MARTA is to Turner Field. It will be entirely possible to get there without a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 01:29 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,966,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
The difference is this.

The Atlanta Braves
or
The "Atlanta" Braves

I've explained over and over again that my and many people's connection to the Braves is Atlanta. If its moved from Atlanta to "Atlanta", it makes it hard to really care about them. Its not the cities team anymore, its a regional team.
You're literally the first person I've heard say about this. And I know dozens of people who are Braves fans, including myself. The overwhelming majority of people don't care where the stadium is, though they'd like it to remain downtown. Most people are just upset that it'll be harder to get to, will cost more for tickets, and seems like a total waste of a relatively new Turner Field.

Also, please realize the Braves are a regional team already. You're in the minority in your thinking.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:30 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,966,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick295 View Post
Whoa there... I agree that putting it somewhere with no rail transit is kind of stupid given how things are changing in this city, but let's be honest about the fact that CCT runs a direct line to MARTA's Arts Center Station from a terminal that's as close to the new stadium as MARTA is to Turner Field. It will be entirely possible to get there without a car.
You need to brush up on your geography.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:40 PM

858 posts, read 1,387,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
You need to brush up on your geography.
Georgia State to Turner Field is a mile.

CCT terminal to the new stadium is a mile.

I don't understand the difference

Old 03-05-2014, 01:46 PM

32,036 posts, read 36,869,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
They could name it Elbow Room Int'l Airport if they wanted ....
I like it.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:53 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,643,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
I hope so too Arjay57. I wonder if those intense feelings of bitterness about the move is a C-D thing, or do the (non C-D) civilians feel that way as well. I can understand the initial disappointment but some of the anti-(fill-in the blank) comments I see on here are ridiculous. Once again, the new stadium will be less than 2 miles from the city limit, about 10 miles from downtown, "big floppy deal".

I wonder if the new stadium was proposed to be built in the area of the New North Atlanta HS which is on the COA side of the Chattahoochie on Cobb Pkwy, would it be so much hate?

Hater feedback welcomed
I will ask the question again and direct it to CQHOLT, JSVH and others who are 200% against the move, and no longer feel that the Braves deserve the Atlanta moniker

If the new stadium were proposed to be built in the area of the New North Atlanta HS which is on the COA side of the Chattahoochie on Cobb Pkwy (US 41), would there be so much hate?

Old 03-05-2014, 02:03 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,215,430 times
And I'll ask again...

If the new stadium was planned to be built in Dekalb county or Clayton County, both majority black counties with majority black county commissions, would there be the same uproar?

If the new stadium was planned for south Fulton County, but outside the city limits, would there be the same uproar?

I don't think so.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:34 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,896,586 times
Glovenyc - it depends on the details. There would be outrage about funding on a larger scale then the Falcons if the city was paying for it to move to a place with worse connectivity. But if the Braves were paying the full cost and it was staying inside the city limits this would be celebrated by most.

neil- It also depends on the details. Any relocation to the suburbs is going to get backlash. But Cobb is disliked by more than most for their anti-Atlanta-region attitude, feeling they need to create their own suburban utopia where no one ever needs to leave the better-than-everyone Cobb plus their often racist/homophobic tenancies which is why things like the the '96 olympic torch run was re-routed to avoid Cobb. So if the other hypothetical location had been working under the table against the region to steal the Braves and then kept talking about how it will be closer to their fans in that county and no one in the city is really a Braves fan, then yeah, they would get a similar reaction.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:15 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,135,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Glovenyc - it depends on the details. There would be outrage about funding on a larger scale then the Falcons if the city was paying for it to move to a place with worse connectivity. But if the Braves were paying the full cost and it was staying inside the city limits this would be celebrated by most.

neil- It also depends on the details. Any relocation to the suburbs is going to get backlash. But Cobb is disliked by more than most for their anti-Atlanta-region attitude, feeling they need to create their own suburban utopia where no one ever needs to leave the better-than-everyone Cobb plus their often racist/homophobic tenancies which is why things like the the '96 olympic torch run was re-routed to avoid Cobb. So if the other hypothetical location had been working under the table against the region to steal the Braves and then kept talking about how it will be closer to their fans in that county and no one in the city is really a Braves fan, then yeah, they would get a similar reaction.
If MARTA ran a line next to Windy Ridge and Cobb County commissioners didn't ram this down our throats in less than a month, the Braves move would've been far more palatable.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:19 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,250,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
You're literally the first person I've heard say about this. And I know dozens of people who are Braves fans, including myself. The overwhelming majority of people don't care where the stadium is, though they'd like it to remain downtown. Most people are just upset that it'll be harder to get to, will cost more for tickets, and seems like a total waste of a relatively new Turner Field.

Also, please realize the Braves are a regional team already. You're in the minority in your thinking.
I know I'm in the minority, but I also believe that my feeling are pretty similar to those who have "abandoned" the team. I'm not a true fan by any means. But I did enjoy the fact that the Braves were essentially a symbol of the city and it was Atlanta's baseball team. Yes, I know it is very much a regional team, but now it is just a regional team, it is not part of the city anymore.

But that's just my feelings. And the Braves aren't really loosing much by loosing my very thin support. I hardly ever spent money on the team or watch many games. But I was always cheering for them and wishing them well. From here on out, I just don't care. No ill will, just indifferent. As far as I am concerned I don't have any reason to cheer for them anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
If the new stadium was planned to be built in Dekalb county or Clayton County, both majority black counties with majority black county commissions, would there be the same uproar?
Wow. Have you even read any of the points I bring up? Do you think I'm making my reasons up? Is that really what your mind defaults to when you don't understand someone's pov?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta