Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 10:31 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
The hate is strong lol. I wonder how much hate we will get once all these developments open this year lol
College Football Hall of Fame? Niche. For only those who like college football..

New National Civil Rights Center? Great museum, adds to the culture of Atlanta...Atlanta desperately needs new cultural museums, however it doesn't quite put Atlanta on a world stage yet.

Ponce City Market? It's amazing, but people are overrating it quite a lot. Even when I go to NYC, I'm not raving about Chelsea Market...it's not as big as a deal to tourists as you are lead to believe.

Buckhead Atlanta? Great for those who have money...not so great for those that don't...for the most part, that development won't affect 80% of the people who live in Atlanta. The area can be expanded to create a walkable core which is good.

Downtown Streetcar? It's a small route that doesn't really go anywhere...

I think people are overrating these developments quite a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 10:37 AM

95 posts, read 177,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Are you really questioning Atlanta's appeal. Have you ever heard of Stone Mountain, CNN Center, MLK Historical Site, Georgia Aquarium, and many more attractions. Honestly, I could care less about them, but I guess they can appeal to families and foreigners. And where have I questioned SF's tourist appeal. I stated that it doesn't appeal to me and listed why. I honestly don't care whether people perfer to visit any city. I go to cities I find exiting. In the US that's NY, DC, Miami, LA, and Chicago(though I tend to stay away now because of crime).
I highly doubt families are booking their vacations and flying to Atlanta to visit these attractions. If I'm spending money for a vacation it definitely would not be to Atlanta. These attractions are getting people who are already coming into town for something else like a convention, meeting or to visit a family member.

Thinking back to when my family and friends would visit, I can only think of one place on your list of attractions that was mentioned, and that was the Aquarium. Never had anyone request to visit CNN or MLK.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:56 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,786,194 times
We should be at 48 million annually by 2017. We have more visitors than Dallas and Houston combined. The hate is strong and I love it because that means we are doing something right lol. Like Jay- Z said " people lie numbers dont". . Just wait until the end of this year lol

Old 05-31-2014, 11:08 AM

Okay, Tony/Gerrythesnake.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:16 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
The naysayers here are starting to get a bit silly. I'm not saying Atlanta is the best, but it's certainly better than most and getting better.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:17 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,912,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I can't believe someone really asked this. SF and Chicago are full of culture and history. SF is lauded for it's beautiful scenery, the best in the country...great rowhouses, great museums, liberal culture, and Wine Country in the suburbs. It's an extremely compact and walkable city.

Atlanta wishes it can have this type of scenery.
This looks like every other dense city .. Compact old decrepit buildings

Old 05-31-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
This looks like every other dense city .. Compact old decrepit buildings
I'm not talking about the cityscape...I'm talking about the scenery. Where in Atlanta can you find a bridge like that with mountains in the background along with the fog looming?

Old 05-31-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Oh and it doesn't have that overwhelming ghetto culture you find in Atlanta. It's downtown is actually great, unlike Atlanta where it become awful south of Marietta St and for the most part dead after 7 pm.
You do have the ghettos in SF and there is a overwhelmingly amount of homeless in SF. All downtowns in dense cities are same in US shopping restaurants etc. Once you been to one you have been to them all

Old 05-31-2014, 11:30 AM

The topic is about vistors . "VISTORS" say it with me vistors. Lets say it one more time VISTORS

Old 05-31-2014, 11:35 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
We should be at 48 million annually by 2017. We have more visitors than Dallas and Houston combined. The hate is strong and I love it because that means we are doing something right lol. Like Jay- Z said " people lie numbers dont". . Just wait until the end of this year lol
But the means by which the numbers are found is suspect. Is the way of counting visitors uniform across all the cities or does each Visitor's Bureau report their own numbers? I.E. inflated numbers?

And I suppose if people are lovin' on Atlanta, Atlanta must be doing something wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta