Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 08:23 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Several people I know who've visited or lived in Paris have mentioned how dirty it is without any prompting. I've never been there though.
Anyone who won't acknowledge that can't have spent much time in Paris. I've lived in France and frequently went to Paris. It is the dirtiest city I've seen.

Quote:
Honestly though, I don't think people'hate' on Atlanta because it's different from anywhere else but more because it's not. What does Atlanta offer that another city doesn't do better? It's as if some giant corporation decided to create a huge 'all-American' generic city.
I don't get the blind love Atlanta gets from posters here. Atlanta is a collection of strip malls and subdivisions clumped together and called a metro. Houston suffers from this as well. Its core is ok but much of its old stuff that gave it some character is lost. So franchises etc. move in to provide the services making Atlanta seem so generic. Its few sources of uniqueness like The Varsity are less than appealing. Visitors I've talked to that went to the "famed" Varsity, left unimpressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 08:27 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Of all things people in Atlanta shouldn't call other cities out on...Atlanta has one of the worst homeless situations of any city I've been to in the world.
San Francisco has the worst homeless problem in North America, hands down.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:20 PM

134 posts, read 185,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
A great location, how? It's not really on a coast nor is it near other large metropolises. A great location to me is NYC or DC or Miami if I like beaches.
Huh? DC is 2-3 hours from the beach, more in weekend traffic. You just hate Atlanta.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:35 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,912,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Of all things people in Atlanta shouldn't call other cities out on...Atlanta has one of the worst homeless situations of any city I've been to in the world.

I think this an accurate assessment. Atlanta is slowly becoming more of a destination city but anybody who think it ranks near the top based on pure tourism is delusional.

Several people I know who've visited or lived in Paris have mentioned how dirty it is without any prompting. I've never been there though.

Honestly though, I don't think people'hate' on Atlanta because it's different from anywhere else but more because it's not. What does Atlanta offer that another city doesn't do better? It's as if some giant corporation decided to create a huge 'all-American' generic city.

The homeless situation is far worse in SF. What does SF offer that NY doesn't or Chicago etc i definitely didn't notice anything that different.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:50 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,912,447 times
Yall kill me always bringing up these dense cities. You guys always pointing out Atlanta's flaws let's begin to point out the flaws of these cities You guys seem to praise so much

Old 06-01-2014, 05:56 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,513,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Yall kill me always bringing up these dense cities. You guys always pointing out Atlanta's flaws let's begin to point out the flaws of these cities You guys seem to praise so much
Man, you better preach!

Old 06-01-2014, 07:27 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
Huh? DC is 2-3 hours from the beach, more in weekend traffic. You just hate Atlanta.
It took 5 hours to get to Rehoboth Beach from DC on a Friday afternoon. The traffic was unbearable.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:39 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post

I worded it in a bad way. I meant, Miami is in a good location because of the beach. D.C. and NYC are good locations due to distance from other great American metropolises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
San Francisco has the worst homeless problem in North America, hands down.
I'd say L.A. does. Skid Row anyone? SF isn't far behind though and SF is worse than Atlanta when it comes to homeless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
The homeless situation is far worse in SF. What does SF offer that NY doesn't or Chicago etc i definitely didn't notice anything that different.
SF offer natural scenery and incredible views that you won't find in the flat plains of Illinois or the concrete jungle of NYC. It's also again, not flat unlike the other two cities for the most part which makes the city more interesting(We all know how you guys love to rave about the hills in the ATL).

Don't start acting like SF is just some generic dense American city. It's easily top 5 for most unique probably after New Orleans in this country and easily the most scenic in the nation with Seattle off a distant 2nd. To say there's another city that looks like SF in the country is just really, really silly.

How does Atlanta stand out again? Trees? Go to Charlotte and they have plenty of trees. Hills? Plenty of cities have hills. Anyone who tries to diss SF for uniqueness, then boost Atlanta for it is insane.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:56 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I worded it in a bad way. I meant, Miami is in a good location because of the beach. D.C. and NYC are good locations due to distance from other great American metropolises.

I'd say L.A. does. Skid Row anyone? SF isn't far behind though and SF is worse than Atlanta when it comes to homeless.

SF offer natural scenery and incredible views that you won't find in the flat plains of Illinois or the concrete jungle of NYC. It's also again, not flat unlike the other two cities for the most part which makes the city more interesting(We all know how you guys love to rave about the hills in the ATL).

Don't start acting like SF is just some generic dense American city. It's easily top 5 for most unique probably after New Orleans in this country and easily the most scenic in the nation with Seattle off a distant 2nd. To say there's another city that looks like SF in the country is just really, really silly.

How does Atlanta stand out again? Trees? Go to Charlotte and they have plenty of trees. Hills? Plenty of cities have hills. Anyone who tries to diss SF for uniqueness, then boost Atlanta for it is insane.
You could argue that Seattle is second, but not a distant second. It has a breathtaking setting.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:15 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,532,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Honestly though, you a hater too. And from Virginia at that- Worry about NOVA.
I wouldn't be surprised if you were like that other guy boosting Atlanta that was called out on the fact that HE HAS NEVER LIVED IN ATLANTA.

As for myself, I lived in Atlanta for 7 years and within a 75 minute drive for 20. If someone who forms a reasonable opinion based on that much time in and around a city can be considered a hater then...this hater gonna hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta