Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 07:01 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times

Advertisements

I-75 South Metro Express lanes, Economic boom or bust for the region, Major Traffic Improvement or Not???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 09:00 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
Will be like 85, it will only help the people who want to pay to ride in them and GRTA if the buses can run in them.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Will be like 85, it will only help the people who want to pay to ride in them and GRTA if the buses can run in them.

Guess it could go either way. This one is suspose to be Different from I-85, Reversible Lanes with Flyover Ramps and slip Ramps, Located in the Median with Barrier Walls, First of its kind in Georgia.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:48 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Guess it could go either way. This one is suspose to be Different from I-85, Reversible Lanes with Flyover Ramps and slip Ramps, Located in the Median with Barrier Walls, First of its kind in Georgia.
Sounds like the HOV lanes I've seen in Houston and Dallas. Separate exits, completely separated lanes from the mainlines.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:02 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Sounds like the HOV lanes I've seen in Houston and Dallas. Separate exits, completely separated lanes from the mainlines.
It is similar.

I guess it's going to work, but it seems pretty short (starts at I-675 and end at 155, I think). I'm not completely familiar with the traffic patterns in the area, but it doesn't seem like these lanes will avoid some of the big bottlenecks. Could be wrong.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:19 PM

7 posts, read 23,593 times
Being a Henry county resident, I am upset that this is the best that GDOT could do for the traffic issues on I-75. The previous poster said he doesn't know the traffic patterns ... well I do! Personally I avoid 75 as much as possible. Like any other area, Friday is generally the worst. The flaw with this build, is peak traffic is affected on both sides. Morning traffic issues normally head into Atlanta/Northside in the AM...afternoon traffic issues flow into Henry county in the afternoon rush hour. The problem is while Southbound might be backed up everyday from Mt. Zion Rd/or SR 138 to Jodeco Rd. Northbound can also be backed up from Jodeco Rd. to Bill Gardner Pkwy. (basically the entire stretch of 75 through the county). Having said that, with these new reversible lanes, they will run south into the county (from ATL) in the afternoon), even though many times northbound is backed up badly (especially around Spring Break, and Holidays(check google maps sometimes)). I even emailed the project coordinator several times, SENT MAPS OF HOW THE TRAFFIC LOOKED AND THE NORMAL FRIDAY TRAFFIC, PROVING MY POINT ABOUT THE ABNORMAL TRAFFIC FLOWS (DUE TO BEING THE FLORIDA GATEWAY), NO REPLY!!

Tried to post a Friday typical traffic map from google hope it works

Old 11-19-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas.smith1 View Post
Being a Henry county resident, I am upset that this is the best that GDOT could do for the traffic issues on I-75. The previous poster said he doesn't know the traffic patterns ... well I do! Personally I avoid 75 as much as possible. Like any other area, Friday is generally the worst. The flaw with this build, is peak traffic is affected on both sides. Morning traffic issues normally head into Atlanta/Northside in the AM...afternoon traffic issues flow into Henry county in the afternoon rush hour. The problem is while Southbound might be backed up everyday from Mt. Zion Rd/or SR 138 to Jodeco Rd. Northbound can also be backed up from Jodeco Rd. to Bill Gardner Pkwy. (basically the entire stretch of 75 through the county). Having said that, with these new reversible lanes, they will run south into the county (from ATL) in the afternoon), even though many times northbound is backed up badly (especially around Spring Break, and Holidays(check google maps sometimes)). I even emailed the project coordinator several times, SENT MAPS OF HOW THE TRAFFIC LOOKED AND THE NORMAL FRIDAY TRAFFIC, PROVING MY POINT ABOUT THE ABNORMAL TRAFFIC FLOWS (DUE TO BEING THE FLORIDA GATEWAY), NO REPLY!!

Tried to post a Friday typical traffic map from google hope it works
I have to Totally Agree with you on that one. Both Sides get Heavy Congestion and having the Reversible lane will only relieve one side of the Freeway at a time. Especially for Evening Commutes and the Weekends, so it will only probably help slightly in that case.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:20 PM

7 posts, read 23,593 times
To add to that, if Henry does rebound, and starts growing again..... more pain on 75.... although its not as bad as 75 in Cobb. Still, Georgia hasn't been very proactive with the growth!

Old 11-25-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas.smith1 View Post
To add to that, if Henry does rebound, and starts growing again..... more pain on 75.... although its not as bad as 75 in Cobb. Still, Georgia hasn't been very proactive with the growth!
So True, its about building more Dense and Transit Frendly, Something Georgia has not Typically done, expecially in the Suburbs.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:58 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,678 times
Guess you guys are gonna have to start embracing some kind of rail in the burbs. Highways can't be widened forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta