Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 09:19 AM

113 posts, read 181,057 times

Advertisements

I think the reversible lanes in the middle are the right choice. Depending on the design as two lanes will help relieve congestion much more than 1 HOV or HOT lane. Making these lanes reversible could potentially allow lanes north of Jodeco to flow one way while those south of Jodeco flow another, as this is a major interchange for northbound and southbound commuters in the afternoon as Jonas.smith1 pointed out. In the future, investing in the arterial network, transit, higher quality development and land uses, and even improved interchange geometry will go a lot further in maintaining and improving quality of life. The I-75 Northwest corridor is a great example. There are tons of lanes and still tons of congestion. Now GDOT is attempting to shoehorn HOV lanes and interchange improvements into the right-of-way when the bigger issue is that there aren't enough choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 03:14 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,480,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxbrame View Post
I think the reversible lanes in the middle are the right choice. Depending on the design as two lanes will help relieve congestion much more than 1 HOV or HOT lane. Making these lanes reversible could potentially allow lanes north of Jodeco to flow one way while those south of Jodeco flow another, as this is a major interchange for northbound and southbound commuters in the afternoon as Jonas.smith1 pointed out. In the future, investing in the arterial network, transit, higher quality development and land uses, and even improved interchange geometry will go a lot further in maintaining and improving quality of life. The I-75 Northwest corridor is a great example. There are tons of lanes and still tons of congestion. Now GDOT is attempting to shoehorn HOV lanes and interchange improvements into the right-of-way when the bigger issue is that there aren't enough choices.
Maybe, gonna be interesting to see how that works when there are accidents and there is a barrier wall up.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:20 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,714,264 times
I was just in Baltimore for Thanksgiving.

This is their new HOT lanes on 95.

MDTA ETL Homepage

GDOT should have made the same option on I-75.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:20 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,514,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I was just in Baltimore for Thanksgiving.

This is their new HOT lanes on 95.

MDTA ETL Homepage

GDOT should have made the same option on I-75.
GDOT doesn't have anywhere near the money to build 2 toll lanes in each direction (4 lanes total) in the median of I-75 South. Heck, GDOT just barely has the money to shoehorn 1-2 reversible lanes into the median of I-75 South.

The money that is being used to fund the suburban Atlanta interstate construction projects (the I-75 South Managed Lanes; the I-75/I-575 Northwest Corridor Managed Lanes project; the extension of the I-85 HOT Lanes north to Hamilton Mill Road; the reconstruction of the I-285/GA 400 interchange) is money that is being taken from other road maintenance and construction projects around the state.

The only place where adding 2 new toll lanes to each direction of the highway might potentially be an option is across the Top End of the I-285 Perimeter and even if GDOT somehow manages to come up with the funding for the project, politics may get in the way of the project as the wealthy and powerful residents of Sandy Springs may not react too kindly to their highly treasured tree buffers being taken to widen I-285 through the heavily wooded upscale residential area west of Long Island Drive.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:09 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,480,629 times
I-75 SouthMetro Toll Lanes Construction progressing. Flyover Ramp Beams are being placed, as well as new Walls are being Constructed in McDonough. Traffic seems to be getting worse as well, but much to be expected with the Deverting of Traffic and lanes as the outer lane and Sound barrier walls are constructed before they proceed to construct the inner reversable Lane.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:55 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,384,943 times
Big old Bust, imo.

Any 'savings' of adding additional car lanes, I think disappears when you anticipate an additional 50K in population. They'd be better off prepping that for rail or BRT. But maybe at least having the reverse lane already there sets them up for it in the future.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:17 PM

346 posts, read 388,812 times
I don't know if this has been posted here, but here's an animated video from the GA DOT that illustrates the I-75 project now underway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IR9PNMGHZg

Old 02-19-2015, 03:02 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,384,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckshere View Post
I don't know if this has been posted here, but here's an animated video from the GA DOT that illustrates the I-75 project now underway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IR9PNMGHZg

That's what I saw yesterday. It had me laughing because the cuts of getting on and off the fancy new ramps was SOOO long compared to the other examples.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:25 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,445,497 times
So impress with how well planned, organize and clean Eagle Landing Parkway in Stockbridge. Kudos to the local government, beautiful does even look like you still in Atlanta.

Old 02-19-2015, 04:44 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,903,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas.smith1 View Post
Being a Henry county resident, I am upset that this is the best that GDOT could do for the traffic issues on I-75. The previous poster said he doesn't know the traffic patterns ... well I do! Personally I avoid 75 as much as possible. Like any other area, Friday is generally the worst. The flaw with this build, is peak traffic is affected on both sides. Morning traffic issues normally head into Atlanta/Northside in the AM...afternoon traffic issues flow into Henry county in the afternoon rush hour. The problem is while Southbound might be backed up everyday from Mt. Zion Rd/or SR 138 to Jodeco Rd. Northbound can also be backed up from Jodeco Rd. to Bill Gardner Pkwy. (basically the entire stretch of 75 through the county). Having said that, with these new reversible lanes, they will run south into the county (from ATL) in the afternoon), even though many times northbound is backed up badly (especially around Spring Break, and Holidays(check google maps sometimes)). I even emailed the project coordinator several times, SENT MAPS OF HOW THE TRAFFIC LOOKED AND THE NORMAL FRIDAY TRAFFIC, PROVING MY POINT ABOUT THE ABNORMAL TRAFFIC FLOWS (DUE TO BEING THE FLORIDA GATEWAY), NO REPLY!!

Tried to post a Friday typical traffic map from google hope it works
I dread Henry County on I-75 on the weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta