Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 11:33 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,480,629 times

Advertisements

Been watching this project come together more and more by the week... I'm just puzzled and it's still a Mystery to me as to how they will be able to clear these tight walled in lanes when there is an Accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 02:57 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,514,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Been watching this project come together more and more by the week... I'm just puzzled and it's still a Mystery to me as to how they will be able to clear these tight walled in lanes when there is an Accident.
They will just shut down the lanes on the other side of the crash and have emergency crews come from the other direction opposite the direction of traffic flow where the lanes have been shut down.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:42 PM

142 posts, read 168,413 times
Quote:
The DOT had an informational booth about the lanes at a Henry County event recently, and I asked that very question. She said in addition to the regular entrance and exit points, there are gates every so often through which emergency vehicles can enter and exit when needed.

Just looking at those tall walls go up makes me claustrophobic!

Old 06-15-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA5mom View Post
The DOT had an informational booth about the lanes at a Henry County event recently, and I asked that very question. She said in addition to the regular entrance and exit points, there are gates every so often through which emergency vehicles can enter and exit when needed.

Just looking at those tall walls go up makes me claustrophobic!
Yeah, the Area is definitely being made over...Henry is looking way more Urban/Suburban by the day on I-75...

Old 06-15-2016, 11:11 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,749,854 times
Quote:
Yeah, the Area is definitely being made over...Henry is looking way more Urban/Suburban by the day on I-75...
I'd take 75 Henry traffic over Cobb traffic any day.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:44 AM

11,834 posts, read 8,027,753 times
My overall opinion, while the idea is cool; this is a big waste of money and will hardly have any impact on the traffic problem. Same thing goes for the Northwest Cooridoor. Thing is though it's doing exactly what GA DOT wants. They're not looking to fix the traffic problem, that is just a cover up. They're looking to provide additional transportation options that the users will have to pay to use so they won't foot the bill. It IS something that is needed (Heck Northern VA near the D.C. district benefits from a very similar setup) but I-75 really needs to be about 4 - 5 lanes each way in that district to handle local traffic. There is too much interstate / commerce / vacation traffic that could easily fill 3 lanes during peak seasons for toll lanes to be of any use plus out of state traffic won't beable to benefit from them unless they have a Sunpass, but then that still adds to a capacity issue as the lanes are still meant for local traffic.

Now here's something that may have worked a bit better (although would have been very expensive)

A local / collector distribution and Express Lane setup much like Garden State Pkwy in New Jersey possesses. Adding 3 additional lanes EACH WAY in the median. Local lanes will remain free to use, Express Lanes have 1 exit for Stockbridge and 1 exit for McDonough (and not Hudson Bridge, GA 138 or any other congested interchange) The express lanes would be tolled, however; the tolls will be much lower than those seen on I-85 due to increased capacity, more vehicles able to use the lanes thus more revenue without needing to jack the price way up. The tolls would not need to be variable either.

All I can say is GADOT is probably doing the best that they can given their options. I will say I won't hesitate to pay to use these lanes either.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:11 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,882,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
My overall opinion, while the idea is cool; this is a big waste of money and will hardly have any impact on the traffic problem. Same thing goes for the Northwest Cooridoor. Thing is though it's doing exactly what GA DOT wants. They're not looking to fix the traffic problem, that is just a cover up. They're looking to provide additional transportation options that the users will have to pay to use so they won't foot the bill. It IS something that is needed (Heck Northern VA near the D.C. district benefits from a very similar setup) but I-75 really needs to be about 4 - 5 lanes each way in that district to handle local traffic. There is too much interstate / commerce / vacation traffic that could easily fill 3 lanes during peak seasons for toll lanes to be of any use plus out of state traffic won't beable to benefit from them unless they have a Sunpass, but then that still adds to a capacity issue as the lanes are still meant for local traffic.

Now here's something that may have worked a bit better (although would have been very expensive)

A local / collector distribution and Express Lane setup much like Garden State Pkwy in New Jersey possesses. Adding 3 additional lanes EACH WAY in the median. Local lanes will remain free to use, Express Lanes have 1 exit for Stockbridge and 1 exit for McDonough (and not Hudson Bridge, GA 138 or any other congested interchange) The express lanes would be tolled, however; the tolls will be much lower than those seen on I-85 due to increased capacity, more vehicles able to use the lanes thus more revenue without needing to jack the price way up. The tolls would not need to be variable either.

All I can say is GADOT is probably doing the best that they can given their options. I will say I won't hesitate to pay to use these lanes either.
Commuter rail system would go a lot further to helping alleviate congestion.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:27 AM

11,834 posts, read 8,027,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Commuter rail system would go a lot further to helping alleviate congestion.
I personally would use it over the highways here if they ever finally implemented one that should have been done 25 years ago.

Old 06-24-2016, 05:45 AM

3,662 posts, read 3,942,933 times
The light poles they chose for southern I-75 reversible lanes are hideous. Standard height poles with tiny angled arm for the light.

Also there is a new sign bridge down there that is as crooked at the one near jimmy carter Blvd.

I'm going to beg GDOT to level up these gantries for years if that's what it takes.

They look like something you'd see on Hee-Haw.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
The light poles they chose for southern I-75 reversible lanes are hideous. Standard height poles with tiny angled arm for the light.

Also there is a new sign bridge down there that is as crooked at the one near jimmy carter Blvd.

I'm going to beg GDOT to level up these gantries for years if that's what it takes.

They look like something you'd see on Hee-Haw.
Agreed, the light post do look a little flimsy... But who knows, they may be nice and bright...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta