Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 07:54 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
That is disappointing. Thanks for the update anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 08:12 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,311,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What is your take on the feds blasting MARTA and the COA over the streetcar, cq?

//www.city-data.com/forum/41388751-post19.html
Meh.

Quite frankly the Feds(Obama) can just tinkle off.

They haven't said not one word about GDOT and how that agency deals with minority contractors/vendors...but have just anything and everything to say about the Atlanta airport and now the streetcar.

Why does the Feds(Obama) keep taking the "L" far too often than not when it comes to dealing with Georgia conservatives?

Frack this!

Old 10-29-2015, 08:17 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,394,956 times
I doubt President Obama even knew about this.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:21 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,696,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I doubt President Obama even knew about this.
Yeah, I think it has more to do with the way the city's been handling the operations more than anything. That, and none of the other projects in the metro were funded. It would seem that if there were some kind of bias against anyone (which I doubt there is), it would be the state, since not just Atlanta projects weren't funded.
  • The city of Roswell, for a project to build sidewalks, two roundabouts, and a reversible lane system.
  • The city of Johns Creek, to build a flexible lane on Ga. 141/Medlock Bridge Road.
  • Fulton County, to upgrade the I-285 and Cascade Road interchange.
  • The city of Atlanta, to extend the Streetcar line east to the Beltline/Krog Street Market area.
  • The city of Atlanta, to partner with the PATH Foundation to build a multi-use path on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard from Fulton Industrial Boulevard to Northside Drive with connection stubs for MARTA.
  • Cobb County, to create the Cobb Parkway Smart Corridor project, which adds transit signal prioritization to 35 signals on U.S. 41, transit queue jump lanes at six intersections, improvements to reduce vehicle delays at three intersections, arterial road detection and surveillance equipment and digital message signs.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:06 PM

188 posts, read 177,787 times
Even the free spending Feds don't believe in crappy streetcar project. LOL

Old 10-29-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkMcGirt View Post
Even the free spending Feds don't believe in crappy streetcar project. LOL
A good idea with a bad execution is still a good idea. I don't blame the feds for not funding the extension after their comments on how the city was operating it.

Last edited by fourthwarden; 10-30-2015 at 12:23 AM..

Old 10-30-2015, 08:24 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times
I mean it is not really even that much of a snub at the streetcar, none of the other projects in GA got funded either and transit projects in other cities got overlooked too.

I think the city just needs to move forward with this short extension on it's own. It is not that much more expensive (any one of the major properties CoA has recently sold would cover what the Fed grant would have been). And it will add a lot of value by just getting it to the Beltline @ Irwin. It would be nice to be on the Beltline and have a quick connection into downtown and vice versa. Plus then the Beltline can pick up building LRT extensions from there.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:27 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I mean it is not really even that much of a snub at the streetcar, none of the other projects in GA got funded either and transit projects in other cities got overlooked too.

I think the city just needs to move forward with this short extension on it's own. It is not that much more expensive (any one of the major properties CoA has recently sold would cover what the Fed grant would have been). And it will add a lot of value by just getting it to the Beltline @ Irwin. It would be nice to be on the Beltline and have a quick connection into downtown and vice versa. Plus then the Beltline can pick up building LRT extensions from there.
Yes, I would vote for a bond to build this extension.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Yes, I would vote for a bond to build this extension.
Bonds might be alright, but i'm not really aware of how well the city is doing financially to say yay or nay.

There is always the 5-year TSPLOSTs that the State agreed on last legislative session. That could be used to fund bonds for construction.

I'm hesitant to do such a thing like that though, especially if MARTA gets their chance at upping their sales tax rate in the City and Fulton and Dekalb. Granted, if that happens, then MARTA might be pitching in to help pay for expansions.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:14 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Bonds might be alright, but i'm not really aware of how well the city is doing financially to say yay or nay.

There is always the 5-year TSPLOSTs that the State agreed on last legislative session. That could be used to fund bonds for construction.

I'm hesitant to do such a thing like that though, especially if MARTA gets their chance at upping their sales tax rate in the City and Fulton and Dekalb. Granted, if that happens, then MARTA might be pitching in to help pay for expansions.
I am sure CoA residents would pass a TSPLOST were .5% went to MARTA and .5% went to BeltLine/Streetcar plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta