Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 10:47 AM

315 posts, read 761,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwr View Post
"I heard....boughie...." Posting on a mesage board about what you heard is so ignorant...go and see for yourself and then post your thoughts. I'm more interested in what you saw / experienced.
Yes I have been out in lithonia before and have nothing but good things to say. Most of the people were really nice and very intelligent. I also worked with young adults from lithonia and they were the same. And some of you people are so oversensitive it's really pathetic. There is nothing offensive about valling someone boughie (sp) and many people would take it as a compliment. Although the people I hung out with from lithonia seemed very down to earth and I would reccommend it for anyone.

Last edited by maddy1980; 01-24-2008 at 10:59 AM..

Old 01-24-2008, 12:03 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
What's boughie? Covered with boughs as in trees??

A play on bourgeois?
From "The Urban Dictionary", but spelled without the "h":

Anything that is percieved as "upscale" from a blue-collar point of view. 'Bougie' (pronounced boo'-she) is a hacked truncation of the word Bourgeoisie, which refers to the middle-class in Europe, but refers to a more affluent class level in the United States.

From Wikipedia.org:
In the United States, which lacks strict social classes, Bourgeoisie is sometimes used to refer to those seen as being upper class.

Examples:

You can sit there and drink your bougie-ass microbrewed beer, but I still prefer my ice cold Coors original.

Did ya see Luthur just roll up in his bougie new BMW?

You can eat your bougie $25.99 salad from Central Market for lunch, but I'm hangin' with Mikky D's!

-----------

And another entry in which the "h" is included in the spelling:

Abbreviation for boughetto; derived from the terms bourgeois and ghetto: middle class ghetto

Example: Darrell keeps his Ipod in a Crown Royal Bag; he is boughie as hell.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:47 PM

117 posts, read 619,733 times
That why I live, work play in the right part of the city.
Believe it or not most of the crime in Metro ATL happens in Burbs ATL.

north of I-20 and within the perimeter. You will enjoy the city and all to offer safely. Not that north Fulton is bad, but too far for me. I lived out there for 8 years.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:49 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Ya gotta love the "Urban Dictionary"- especially it's examples......lol.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:54 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post

Anything that is percieved as "upscale" from a blue-collar point of view. 'Bougie' (pronounced boo'-she) is a hacked truncation of the word Bourgeoisie, which refers to the middle-class in Europe, but refers to a more affluent class level in the United States.
Huh. Okay. Groovy.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:07 PM

117 posts, read 619,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post

Excellent!

Old 01-25-2008, 03:12 PM

719 posts, read 1,697,779 times
Default Change in affluence of core city

It seems we may be in the process of a 're-Europeanization' of American cities, where the suburbs return to their original character of being less prosperous than the core urban areas. I just read a striking statistic in the NY Times's recent article on regentrification of the city of Atlanta. In 1990 the per capita income of the city of Atlanta was below that of the metro area as a whole, but by 2006 the city income was almost 30% higher than the whole metro area.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:17 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
It seems we may be in the process of a 're-Europeanization' of American cities, where the suburbs return to their original character of being less prosperous than the core urban areas. I just read a striking statistic in the NY Times's recent article on regentrification of the city of Atlanta. In 1990 the per capita income of the city of Atlanta was below that of the metro area as a whole, but by 2006 the city income was almost 30% higher than the whole metro area.
Thanks for the stat, would you mind posting the article link?

Old 01-25-2008, 03:28 PM

145 posts, read 598,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Thanks for the stat, would you mind posting the article link?
Assist

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/11/na...yt&oref=slogin

Looks like Atlanta's gentrification is getting national attention. This article is a couple years old though. Not sure if this is what WilliamM was refering to.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:29 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesm View Post
Assist

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/11/na...yt&oref=slogin

Looks like Atlanta's gentrification is getting national attention. This article is a couple years old though. Not sure if this is what WilliamM was refering to.
Thanks DaveSM, I checked out that article but it didn't point out the stat that the previous poster reffered to. Maybe he can post the article he's talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta