Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 07:56 PM

31 posts, read 126,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
There's a shift nation-wide of people moving back into cities, and the result is some suburbs actually becoming more run down than a lot of inner cities which are getting revitalized.
Era of cheap oil ends so people prefer more sustainable environment to live in. Cities are more dense so can be quickly adapted to a new times (revitalization) . Denser areas concentrate higher consumer buying power per square mile,as well as access to labor that is close in proximity. We have seen in a last few years enormous investments in the city along with plans like connecting atlanta which will help to build transit-oriented and walkable communities. Suburbia are not trendy anymore because of perspective of end of cheap oil, long commute and lack of livable spaces(Walking, bicycling, and transit are the best choices for most trips, where public spaces are beautiful, well designed)

Some interesting links:
Florida’s growth machine runs out of gas in suburbia
Kenric Ward: Florida’s growth machine runs out of gas in suburbia : Columns : TCPalm

The tragedy of suburbia.
TED | Talks | James Howard Kunstler: The tragedy of suburbia (video)

Are today's suburbs destined to become the slums of tomorrow? A trailer of 78-minute documentary about the end of the age of cheap oil.

YouTube - The End of Suburbia promo trailer

Crude Awakening full documentary movie..

http://video.google.com/googleplayer...&autoPlay=true

Old 01-28-2008, 08:31 AM

86 posts, read 415,948 times
Smile Suburbia Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwr View Post
Cincinnati is my hometown. Which suburban area are you talking about that has gone down?
I live in West Chester, Ohio. They have done so much building in the area which is a plus because we needed a variety of stores out here...the cows and horses on Tylersville are gone and strips malls are there instead, which I repeat is a plus. The down side to that is that everyone who is being forced to move from the inner-city has been moving out here because of course they have lowered rents, subsidized the apt complexes, condo's etc. All I can say is that the neighborhood isn't what it used to be in both good and bad ways. This is the only community that my 17 yr old dtr has ever experienced bold and blatant racism at school. Also the only community where I had my car broken into, while in my driveway and all my personal belongings were stolen. I hear more people talking about moving into the city or relocating period like I'm doing because of the subtle but noticeable changes. I still must admit the school district is awesome.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:33 PM

6 posts, read 37,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
It seems we may be in the process of a 're-Europeanization' of American cities, where the suburbs return to their original character of being less prosperous than the core urban areas. I just read a striking statistic in the NY Times's recent article on regentrification of the city of Atlanta. In 1990 the per capita income of the city of Atlanta was below that of the metro area as a whole, but by 2006 the city income was almost 30% higher than the whole metro area.
I think you're dead-on with your comment. Because it's so old, much of Europe's development was limited by the constraints of physical travel. If you can only travel 10 - 20 miles a day, you can only feasibly move so far from the center of the city. America, on the other hand, was largely developed after the advent of the automobile (particularly Atlanta, which was burned in the Civil War and reconstructed afterward). As a result, there is much more sprawl in our cities, particularly the younger ones. I think we're reaching the point now where traffic and commute times (along with a number of other factors) are so daunting that people with the means are preferring to live in town. I just wish I was one of them.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:17 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,776,450 times
There are also a lot of former college students working in Atlanta settling intown. They would have moved to the burbs 20 years ago.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:23 AM

10 posts, read 58,569 times
I live in Stone Mtn in an area most say is the ghetto ( near the high school ).

Yeah, I hear quite a few gunshots at night, see countless shady looking thugs everywhere and the cops are always patrolling around, but personally I've yet to have any issues nor has anyone in my neighborhood been broken into or what not. That said, I'm sure not going to go walking around at night.

The biggest source of crime seems to be in the apartment complexes, not in the housing neighborhoods.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:05 PM

86 posts, read 415,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
There are also a lot of former college students working in Atlanta settling intown. They would have moved to the burbs 20 years ago.

So which intown areas are best and has affordable rental houses on a RN's salary?

Old 01-31-2008, 11:45 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,776,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynMelRN2007 View Post
So which intown areas are best and has affordable rental houses on a RN's salary?
Best and affordable are mutually exclusive :-)

Midtown West, Bolton, Marietta Blvd (all Bankhead), Mechanicsville, Grant Park and Little Five Points are most affordable of areas you may be safe from getting murdered if you don't wander too far. I personally think Little Five Points and Grant Park are the most established of the aforementioned, though there are some really nice self-contained condo communities going up in Bankhead and Mechanicsville that are pretty appealing -- e.g. "M-West" (if you stay in the confines of the communities). The best area of Bankhead is probably either one of Bolton Rd or the neighborhoods right at the intersection of Marietta Street and Marietta Blvd.

I'm not sure an RN's salary here -- only know up in CT where my mom works as an RN it's around $60k-$70k. You can probably afford more upscale areas like Deering Rd, Howell Mill (West of 75) and Chattahoochee Ave if that's what you are looking at.

Last edited by netdragon; 02-01-2008 at 12:10 AM..

Old 02-01-2008, 12:35 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,099,557 times
A suburb just isn't a suburb any more. Well not all of them. Plenty of places are impoverished that are technically suburbs of other cities. Several areas surrounding Detroit are like that, and look at places like Compton, East Saint Louis, Gary, and Camden, its all over.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:26 AM

117 posts, read 619,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ectoprism View Post
I live in Stone Mtn in an area most say is the ghetto ( near the high school ).

Yeah, I hear quite a few gunshots at night, see countless shady looking thugs everywhere and the cops are always patrolling around, but personally I've yet to have any issues nor has anyone in my neighborhood been broken into or what not. That said, I'm sure not going to go walking around at night.

The biggest source of crime seems to be in the apartment complexes, not in the housing neighborhoods.
My analysis of S. Dekalb and those areas as well. It is there, and police are out watching and waiting, but more a eyesoar than actionable crime.

having said that, I still would not be living anywhere in the area if I could help it. And I can.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 6,536 times
Aww, looks like some are in denial. Can't handle the thought of more whites moving back into Atlanta? Get over it. That's the way it should be. U.S. is a majority white country and we'll take over wherever the hell we want to . Atlanta is on the right track right now. More power to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta