Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 09:23 PM
bu2

24,074 posts, read 14,872,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Jazz, Blues, Country, Rock n Roll, R&B all started in the south.

American Square dancing, Swing dancing and dances during rock n roll era came form the south.

Different Cuisine soul food, Creole, Cajun, General southern, Most major BBQ traditions started in south.

The South is the only part of the country that the French, the Spanish and The English played significant part of developing.

Different cities architecture and cultures.

here's the problem theirs a lot to celebrate and to bring people together. But that not what any of this Confederate crap is...

It's like Germany has so much history the language, Cuisine, arts, customs, music and etc..

............. If some one walk outside with the Nazi flag it's the okey dot. With all German culture why would someone choose that as repressing of German culture it's not.

The Context is actually similar because both involve race and war defeat. With the defeated state trying to expand a form racial superiority.

So with all of southern culture why is people walking around thinking the Confederate flag is the best or a good way to represent southern culture?

A lot of people waving that flag are ironically ignorant of southern history. The Confederate Battle flag was never waved over Richmond during the Civil War also very ironic. The popularity of the Confederate battle flag didn't happen until the 50's and 60's, As a way by states leaders and racists to counter the civil right movements.

But the point I'm making People are being raised to believe the Confederate Battle flag represent the south which is erroneous. They're putting pride in the wrong thing. Everything about the Confederate Battle flag represents division. Therefore it could never represent The South.
The battle flag has always been popular. Its just waxed and waned. It did get more popular in the 50s and 60s partly as a response to civil rights but also partly because of the civil war centennial. The battle flag was the flag of the Army of Northern Virginia. The Stars and Bars which flew over Richmond is really the one that had the bad parts of secession attached to it in 1865. That one doesn't get flown to represent southern pride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 09:43 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,799,394 times
So much anti southern rhetoric here. Some of the posters saying bad things about Dixie show a location in the south no less. If you don't like it move to Boston. No one is going to force people to stop displaying the confederate flag. I have never seen more confederate flags flying off houses or off trucks than I have in the last few months. The more effort against it, the more people will mobilize for rallies like the one you see here. If they actually get the politicians to blast those figures off that mountain you will end up with thousands of angry people from all over the south traveling there to stand against it. One wingnut goes on a murder spree and is linked to the flag, now we have this growing tension because of this. The division in this nation continues to grow, nothing united about these so called United States.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:59 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,980,478 times
This thread has gone South real quick!

Old 08-02-2015, 10:18 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
So much anti southern rhetoric here. Some of the posters saying bad things about Dixie show a location in the south no less. If you don't like it move to Boston. No one is going to force people to stop displaying the confederate flag. I have never seen more confederate flags flying off houses or off trucks than I have in the last few months. The more effort against it, the more people will mobilize for rallies like the one you see here. If they actually get the politicians to blast those figures off that mountain you will end up with thousands of angry people from all over the south traveling there to stand against it. One wingnut goes on a murder spree and is linked to the flag, now we have this growing tension because of this. The division in this nation continues to grow, nothing united about these so called United States.
The tension was here long before a white teenager walked into a church and killed nine black people because he hated them for their skin color. White people have just done a really good job at sweeping it under the rug. The division you see exists because people like you refuse to give up symbols of oppression and hatred, and refuse to acknowledge the lingering effects of the southern heritage you hold so dear. I am pleased and reassured to hear that you see so many southern people understanding the role that symbols like that flag play in the continued marginalization of black people in this country. God knows I'm one of them.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:25 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,193 times
Wow this thread is a complete mess. This is crazy

Old 08-03-2015, 01:03 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,799,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Wow this thread is a complete mess. This is crazy

How is it a mess?? It is a discussion about the flag and the rally.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:55 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,100,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The battle flag has always been popular. Its just waxed and waned. It did get more popular in the 50s and 60s partly as a response to civil rights but also partly because of the civil war centennial. The battle flag was the flag of the Army of Northern Virginia. The Stars and Bars which flew over Richmond is really the one that had the bad parts of secession attached to it in 1865. That one doesn't get flown to represent southern pride.
True and false here

It wasn't significantly popular until to the 50's and 60's. It was use blatantly in the face of civil right protesters it did not become an obsession until this time period

I know the roots of the flags the Army of Northern Virginia it's also similar to Navy Jack my point was not ever the national CSA flag,

Wouldn't be more logical to actually use the national CSA? That didn't gain popularity by being used a symbol of hatred?

The Question a rise why are they so defensive of a flag that wasn't the national CSA, that wasn't popular until the 50's and 60's when racist used a symbol of hatred?

But my larger point it's symbol of division, That flag doesn't united southerns of all color, Even right now the people waving the flag right are doing it with antipathy. It's division...

Again it's like Waving the Nazi flag and say it's German heritage.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:35 AM

23,459 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Because those are in Ferguson and Baltimore, not in the Atlanta area...but please, let's continue to deflect off the issue. Again, you're a confederate apologist.
Show me where l made any statement on this thread regarding the Confederacy, slanderer.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:17 AM

616 posts, read 1,112,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
As a Southerner I find this confederate flag waving troubling.

Folks can debate the Civil war till the cows come home. However, those of us who've lived here a long time know that the flag took on an uglier meaning in the 1950s when it was adopted as the banner of segregation, Jim Crow and opposition to equal rights for blacks.
Agree 100%. Although, I'm not sure it ever stood for anything but that, even before 1950.

As a life long southerner, I've heard the "heritage not hate" argument since I was born. Now, not to defend these people per se, but we in the south need a way to talk about the Civil War, slavery, the Confederacy, racism, etc that allows white southerners to condemn the bad without feeling like they are "selling out" their great great grandparents. The tension comes from people getting defensive and when people are defensive they react aggressively and progress, healing, etc is not made. I am NOT saying we need to coddle to white people's feelings, but if we want to make progress, people have to find a way to stop being defensive. Racism was part of the DNA of society in the 1860's. Can a white person in 2015 condemn racism and slavery without saying their great great grandmother was a bad/evil/racist person? Is that even possible? Implicit in saying slavery is evil is that their great great grandmother did evil things and probably never really regretted it or even regarded it as evil. If your father or grandfather lived in Georgia, Alabama, or Mississippi during the 1950s or 1960s and did not speak out for Civil Rights, what does that make them? How do you come to grips with the fact that your grandmother was a morally bad person? And then say that publicly? Easier said than done.

I'm not saying that we need to give white people a break, not at all. But what we do need is for the conversation to allow America as a nation, and the south in particular, to acknowledge the evil that was done, never forgetting, while at the same time reconciling with one another and moving forward. Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:52 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,380,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Didn't the South lose the war so what heritage is their to celebrate? And if your ancestors was fill with racism and prejudice, but yet defended the South, why on earth would anyone be proud of that.
I'm proud of my Southern heritage as the South is the birthplace of the Civil Rights movement. Other than that, I really cannot think of anything else...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta