Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 11:35 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Like I could respond to a closed thread.
Ignorantly celebrated. OK.
It was actually on the first page of that closed thread, prior to many other posts by yourself and many pages before it was closed.

"I deplore knee jerk reactions devoid of honest consideration or debate."

Your post exemplifies what you deplore. You speak as if you want to have a discussion, but your response is a "knee jerk" reaction without anything of substance that a meaningful discussion could emerge from. I again posted something that I felt was part of and worthy of discussion, but you refuse to engage in any discussion that doesn't side with your opinion. If you want others to engage in "honest consideration", then you yourself must do so as well. I have considered your thoughts on heritage and thoughtfully responded about why I feel heritage cannot be separated from symbolic hate in the case of the battle flag. I honestly do not understand how you are able to separate the two, and I don't think you know either, or you would have said so. So yes, you may continue to celebrate the battle flag in your stubborn ignorance, ignoring all those you hurt in the process because "it doesn't bother me".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 12:09 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
It was actually on the first page of that closed thread, prior to many other posts by yourself and many pages before it was closed.

"I deplore knee jerk reactions devoid of honest consideration or debate."

Your post exemplifies what you deplore. You speak as if you want to have a discussion, but your response is a "knee jerk" reaction without anything of substance that a meaningful discussion could emerge from. I again posted something that I felt was part of and worthy of discussion, but you refuse to engage in any discussion that doesn't side with your opinion. If you want others to engage in "honest consideration", then you yourself must do so as well. I have considered your thoughts on heritage and thoughtfully responded about why I feel heritage cannot be separated from symbolic hate in the case of the battle flag. I honestly do not understand how you are able to separate the two, and I don't think you know either, or you would have said so. So yes, you may continue to celebrate the battle flag in your stubborn ignorance, ignoring all those you hurt in the process because "it doesn't bother me".
Sorry, but I don't respond to every remark addressed to me in a timely fashion. So you you can drop that subterfuge, as well as the rest of this silliness. If you're hurt, it's certainly not my fault. It's because you never grew up.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but I don't respond to every remark addressed to me in a timely fashion. So you you can drop that subterfuge, as well as the rest of this silliness. If you're hurt, it's certainly not my fault. It's because you never grew up.
It's hilarious that you refuse to address any of the points I have made to contradict your statements AND resort to name calling, but call me the child. I've made some pretty important points on the issue, to which you respond with a sarcastic "OK". Point taken, you have nothing else to add! And it is for this reason that ignorant celebration of hate through the Confederate Flag will continue - people like you will never admit when you're wrong, but also don't have the ability to defend your position. Just keep screaming "It's heritage, not hate!", tell everybody who is offended they are too PC and wrong, and make yourself feel better.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:19 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,106,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I don't believe most people who gravitate to the confederate battle flag are doing it for racist reasons. Several reasons they do IMO. 1. Southern pride 2. a statement of support for states rights and small government or just as a statement of protest against the federal government 3. a historical interest in the civil war 4. simply to be a "rebel" 5. to protest political correctness

These seem to me to be the most common reason you see it, NOT racism. The racists are a small minority of people who display the flag. Of all the people I have ever known who flew it I knew NONE who did it to make a racial statement. The people who are flying it in anger and defiance in recent weeks are not doing it for racial reasons either, but rather to stand up for their rights to do it.
So basically they doing it to pissoff other people on purpose, gee what a uniting positive thing that is.

The flag never meant anything positive,................... after the 70's there was a movement by the far right to kind of revision the flag as if it doesn't associate with the CSA and as if didn't gain popularity in the 50's and 60's to protest the civil rights movement, then the media hollywood started using it for stereotypes of the south. Which further ignore the fact it's offensive.

That's like someone taking a klans hood and say "it means brotherhood, and standing up for yourself" and lets pretend the rest doesn't associate.............

It's not against Africans Americans....... it's "political correctness"...... but African Americans are the ones most offended,........ And the political opposing they protesting against is African American civil right groups.......... therefore they are protesting against Africans Americans. They just don't want to say it.

http://www.themuslimtimes.org/wp-con...=90&w=479&zc=1

empathy

"the ability to understand and share the feelings of another"......

They know the flag is commonly offensive to AA, they don't care the flags is offensive AA, why would anyone want to boast something with pride that is offensive to another group of people. There's no way to sugar coat that. That is antipathy

You think an African mother with her children running into a group of people with CSA flags is going to say something positive. It will for ever represent something negative.

Every post I keep ending with there are many positive ways to united all southerners, No body defending the CSA flag wavers can say this, cause in itself the flag is divisive.

Last edited by chiatldal; 08-04-2015 at 01:35 PM..

Old 08-04-2015, 01:21 PM

1,979 posts, read 2,384,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

That's like someone taking a klans hood and say "it means brotherhood, and standing up for yourself" and lets pretend the rest doesn't associate.............
Ouch! Burn. And good point.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:48 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
There are many great ways to celebrate southern history.

I'd prefer leave the confederate flag out of it, since it has so many negative connotations and associations (for whites as well blacks).

Old 08-04-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
It's hilarious that you refuse to address any of the points I have made to contradict your statements AND resort to name calling, but call me the child. I've made some pretty important points on the issue, to which you respond with a sarcastic "OK". Point taken, you have nothing else to add! And it is for this reason that ignorant celebration of hate through the Confederate Flag will continue - people like you will never admit when you're wrong, but also don't have the ability to defend your position. Just keep screaming "It's heritage, not hate!", tell everybody who is offended they are too PC and wrong, and make yourself feel better.
You haven't heard a word l've said, have you? You are too invested in holding on to your sad little point rather than to engage in honest dialogue. Well, at least you have company on this thread.
When I was teaching, l could always recognize the students that weren't going to make it on the second day. I still can.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
You haven't heard a word l've said, have you? You are too invested in holding on to your sad little point rather than to engage in honest dialogue. Well, at least you have company on this thread.
When I was teaching, l could always recognize the students that weren't going to make it on the second day. I still can.
I hope you didn't teach history, or any other subject where critical thinking, discussion, or debate are valued...

I responded to you while holding onto my "sad little point" because I've yet to get any intelligent discussion out of you. Mostly insults at this point, none of which are based in any kind of fact. If it makes any difference at all (which it shouldn't in this case), I'm probably way more academically qualified than you are to speak on this subject. Don't assume...you know what that does...

Old 08-04-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I hope you didn't teach history...
Art History, actually.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:35 PM

719 posts, read 1,333,338 times
What are some opinions on this kid in SC?

Black student: Why I support the Confederate flag - CNN Video
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta