Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 08:52 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,163,005 times

Advertisements

MARTA is sort of the poster child for the promise and predicament of good governance and accountability.

The factors related to history and social constructs that others have mentioned are all quite valid as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 09:40 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Trains run every 10 minutes during peak hours, 10 minutes is not a long time to wait for a train, it takes some people more time to exit the parking garage.

But when that train arrives 1-2 minutes late and you get to 5 points to see the train you need taking off in your face, it now becomes 20 mins and when you get to your final stop and that bus/office shuttle takes off in your face because you were late, it now becomes 30-45 minutess you are put behind.

And if its after 8-9pm, double every single number I listed above. When I come from the Airport or West End, if I go to a Braves games, the north bound train gets to 5 Points 1 minute after the east bound train leaves, so thats a automatic 15-20 min extra wait right there.

Marta's issue is the connection at 5 Points and they need to fix that as many dont want to have a extra 20-40 minutes to add to their commute off peak over bad scheduling.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:50 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
But when that train arrives 1-2 minutes late and you get to 5 points to see the train you need taking off in your face, it now becomes 20 mins and when you get to your final stop and that bus/office shuttle takes off in your face because you were late, it now becomes 30-45 minutess you are put behind.

And if its after 8-9pm, double every single number I listed above. When I come from the Airport or West End, if I go to a Braves games, the north bound train gets to 5 Points 1 minute after the east bound train leaves, so thats a automatic 15-20 min extra wait right there.

Marta's issue is the connection at 5 Points and they need to fix that as many dont want to have a extra 20-40 minutes to add to their commute off peak over bad scheduling.
The connections are a huge issue and during non-peak hours it is a headache. They need a station supervisor that will hold trains if another connecting train is arriving in less than 60 seconds.
Not sure how you cam up with your math? If you arrive at 5 points and the northbound red line is leaving as you exit the blue line, another red line will arrive in 10 minutes, not 20 minutes (unless late night, weekends, or holidays.) You are 10 minutes later, not 20.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:41 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
The amount of controversy GDOT deals with in the last few years...and yet that agency is still funded with no questions asked.

But everyone and their momma wants to act like the commonplace workforce issues that MARTA deals with is the end of the world.

Like I said, perception is reality. And our media does a heck of a job creating some extremely toxic perceptions lacking context and nuance.

Too bad though that some folks are merely content with letting the media and their own innate bias filters do the job of thinking for them.
50% absenteeism is not commonplace. 33% is not commonplace. The only bias is not seeing how phenomenally bad that is.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
50% absenteeism is not commonplace. 33% is not commonplace. The only bias is not seeing how phenomenally bad that is.
It is horribly bad and I hope the AJC shinning light on the issue, forcing MARTA to do something REAL about it.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:23 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
It is horribly bad and I hope the AJC shinning light on the issue, forcing MARTA to do something REAL about it.
Per the article:

Quote:
The transit agency’s board voted Sept. 3 to outsource absence management to a private company as a way to rein in those costs through closer oversight.

“Our customers benefit, so we don’t have lapses in on-time performance,” said MARTA CEO Keith Parker. “Secondly, it benefits our employees, because sometimes folks aren’t excited about being called in on their day off to fill in for somebody. And third, it benefits taxpayers. If administered properly, we should see a savings.”

MARTA had been spending $3.1 million a year to manage different types of employee leave internally, including vacation, sick leave and disability programs. The contract for UPMC (University of Pennsylvania Medical Corp.) WorkPartners to manage short and long-term sick leave, as well as family and medical leave, will cost $1.7 million over a three-year period.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Per the article:
I meant giving out pink slips.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:32 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
I meant giving out pink slips.
I agree, though good luck getting the unionized employees to go along with it.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:52 AM

149 posts, read 182,314 times
"Why is MARTA so controversial?"

I have no idea. The very people it could/would help the most are against it.

It's not about the money. At 1% tax rate, even if you made $100k and spent every bit of it (something I would advise against), you would be spend $1000/yr on Marta. Assuming you saved 1hr/day during your commute, you would "buy" that money back in less than a month.

So what is the reason? Classism is my guess. If you can't build yourself up, keep those around you down.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:00 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Let me say, its so bad, I find it hard to believe. If it really is that bad, heads need to roll. Some managers have been asleep at the switch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta