Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2015, 04:14 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,163,005 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 06:24 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,309,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
85% of the people in Atlanta drive alone to work. 4% use mass transit. Until you grasp those numbers, you just look stupid calling the 85% names. More people telecommute than use mass transit.
This the stupid I'm taking about. What on earth does it prove if 85% of people drive here unless you are trying argue that they do because they just want to? That's been empirically proven false. At this point there is no debate that if mass transit convenient and accessible people use it more.

Why is Gawja still having these discussions? Most people can't telecommute. What are you taking about? I bet you support Donald Trump.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:30 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Sure, people should want other people to come into their neighborhood but this is America people are racist, classist, and xenophobic. People only want other people like themselves to come into their neighborhood. They don't want anyone else.
Things are not all that great elsewhere.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:33 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Did your grandfather remember the extensive trolley network?
My great, great aunt used to tell stories about riding the trolley/streetcar on Ponce to her job as a secretary. I always thought it sounded so glamorous!

Old 09-10-2015, 07:34 PM

150 posts, read 152,323 times
If mass transit is convenient and accessible + driving is made inconvenient (tolls) and inaccessible (no parking), then I think people will catch on... China China China. Look at how they do mass transit, it'll blow your mind.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:35 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
This the stupid I'm taking about. What on earth does it prove if 85% of people drive here unless you are trying argue that they do because they just want to? That's been empirically proven false. At this point there is no debate that if mass transit convenient and accessible people use it more.

Why is Gawja still having these discussions? Most people can't telecommute. What are you taking about? I bet you support Donald Trump.
"empirically proven?" That's funny.

People will use what is cheapest and most convenient. That is rarely mass transit. Atlanta will almost certainly never be a NYC, so mass transit will be what is cheapest and most convenient for only a small minority. 10% would be good.

7% of Atlantans telecommute (and this was a 2009 USA Today article-its probably higher now). The point is that people using transit is a small number and all our policies shouldn't be built around 4% of the population. That's a ridiculous approach to ignore 96% of the population. That is the stupid that you propose. Its dumber than any of Trump's ideas and he has some whoppers.

We need both and need to consider the impact on more than just the 4%.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:37 PM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rselah25 View Post
If mass transit is convenient and accessible + driving is made inconvenient (tolls) and inaccessible (no parking), then I think people will catch on... China China China. Look at how they do mass transit, it'll blow your mind.
People don't have cars so they ride bikes. Or take pedal cars. Beijing didn't even have a subway until recently. Yes, that's a perfect example for the US.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:37 PM

Consider the environmental impact the 96% create, then I think there is justification for the argument to favor the 4%....

Old 09-10-2015, 07:40 PM

Agreed. Mass transit in China is "relatively new" but they went all the way with it, when they did build the infrastructure. Almost all the major cities, have a major subway network. And that network interconnects most of those cities. The technology they use is top notch too. Hong Kong, Shenzhen, Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, they all have a stellar metro system that cannot be rivaled by most systems here in the US...

Old 09-10-2015, 07:42 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rselah25 View Post
I don't want to be China. Really. I don't want to live that way.

I fear every time Asia is mentioned as a positive example in a mass transit conversation, it scares away FAR more people than it attracts to the idea of expanding transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta