Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 06:18 PM

20 posts, read 31,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I am curious about what put a bee in his bonnet as well. If that other guy wants to move to Ziggamazoo, i don't see why he's so caught.up.
My guess is that it was simply beyond the pale that someone would DARE express a preference over Atlanta, and for Chicago, OF ALL PLACES!!!

LMAO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 11:28 PM

276 posts, read 431,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apres-ski View Post
Is anyone unhappy with life in the Atlanta metro and preparing to leave? Why are you leaving? Where are you moving to next - and why?
I've been thinking about moving to NYC for some time. My problem is I like my job here, but I don't enjoy so many other things about Atlanta. Now that my house is finally getting to the point where I won't lose money, I'm working on getting a higher salary here in Atlanta so that I have a better salary base when looking in NYC. Even better would be to find a company that would move me. I enjoy more progressive cities with more cultural activities and overall diversity. I also enjoy a faster pace of life and walking cities. If I don't end up in NYC, I would probably end up in Boston as I enjoyed my time in Cambridge living on the Charles. Also, I'm originally from CT and my parents are getting older.

Last edited by Humanista; 07-23-2016 at 11:52 PM..

Old 07-24-2016, 11:25 AM

29 posts, read 86,422 times
I left Atlanta for a job in the Philadelphia area back in 2013 and I've hated it ever since. Atlanta has it's problems but out of all the places I've ever lived it is one that I've really enjoyed. The climate, cost of living, housing, professionals and the women in my opinion are better than where I am now. I'm not a native of Atlanta but a lot of friends and most of my immediate family lives there. I would love to move back.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:13 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,430,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apres-ski View Post
YES. The lower cost of living in Atlanta is often offered up as a reason to love it. You get what you pay for. Top tier cities cost more, but you get top tier amenities and cultural exposure for that higher cost of living. That's something that a lot of people either don't seem to grasp or just don't care about having. Again, that's their prerogative, but I'd rather have the quality of life available in those cities and make the sacrifices needed.

Here already, wholeheartedly planning to leave!
No people grasp it but the majority of people in those top tier city dont routinely take advantage of certain cultural amenities.
ANd quality of life for some is not what it is for others.Why would I want to pay $1800 for a studio to live in Cambridge?or Oakland?I mention those areas because people cannot afford the principle areas of Boston or SF.
My mom and Sister catch a plane to go see a play in NYC when its something they want to see because they can easily aford it with the less money they spend in living in such a cheaper city.

The cities that have the highest "Wellness" scores are not generally those cities you speak of.NYC,Philadephia,Chicago,Seattle,Boston,San Francisco rank behind cities like Houston,Dallas,Miami,San Antonio and Minneapolis

Atlanta ranked further behind but also ranked ahead Seattle,NYC,Philly,and Chicago,New orleans
http://info.healthways.com/hubfs/Wel...=1457449899148

Old 07-24-2016, 01:47 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDuby View Post
I left Atlanta for a job in the Philadelphia area back in 2013 and I've hated it ever since. Atlanta has it's problems but out of all the places I've ever lived it is one that I've really enjoyed. The climate, cost of living, housing, professionals and the women in my opinion are better than where I am now. I'm not a native of Atlanta but a lot of friends and most of my immediate family lives there. I would love to move back.
Attempts have been made to try and determine the "best place to live". Seems like the most important features are personal, where are my friends and family? Where is the job I love? Where am I the most comfortable and the happiest?

I left Atlanta in 2012 and my personal and professional life are so much better now. I don't want to move back.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:38 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,823,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Attempts have been made to try and determine the "best place to live". Seems like the most important features are personal, where are my friends and family? Where is the job I love? Where am I the most comfortable and the happiest?

I left Atlanta in 2012 and my personal and professional life are so much better now. I don't want to move back.
Every place isn't for everybody or else we'd all be clammoring to pile up in the same place. Wouldn't that be a king-sized dose of density?

My favorite place that I have lived is New Orleans. The economy was bad so I moved. I cannot imagine anyone from there getting up in arms if I said why I moved or feeling the need to go on the defensive. Maybe some of that basic live and let live nature is why I get along with the people there so well.

So posters (you know who you are), stop trying to bully others and intimidating them from answering the OP's question. This should be a safe place.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:43 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,443,661 times
How dumb to do a hasty generalization on any city when we all have different taste. Just leave! Why start a thread?

Old 07-24-2016, 03:51 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
It's amusing to me when people bemoan Atlanta for not being a "world-class" city like those often mentioned in company with that distinction. Yet, they continue to live here and pine for it to be something it is not. Meanwhile, individuals who really are from said "world class cities" and have chosen to live here enjoy Metro Atlanta for what it is, knowing full well it will never be that and appreciating that very fact.
Heh. If I were a world class person I might be more concerned about living in a "world class city."

But I have yet to run out of headroom here.

However, I can easily understand why people may choose to live elsewhere. Different strokes for different folks. That doesn't seem like a knock on our town at all.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,885 times
Cool Relocating to the North

I am packing and starting my road trip to the North this Wednesday. Atlanta is nice and all but I am just not happy here. The job market sucks. I am going where the money is and thats North of GA! I have lots of positive things to say about Atlanta but as far as career wise I am very unhappy.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:12 PM

2 posts, read 1,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanista View Post
I've been thinking about moving to NYC for some time. My problem is I like my job here, but I don't enjoy so many other things about Atlanta. Now that my house is finally getting to the point where I won't lose money, I'm working on getting a higher salary here in Atlanta so that I have a better salary base when looking in NYC. Even better would be to find a company that would move me. I enjoy more progressive cities with more cultural activities and overall diversity. I also enjoy a faster pace of life and walking cities. If I don't end up in NYC, I would probably end up in Boston as I enjoyed my time in Cambridge living on the Charles. Also, I'm originally from CT and my parents are getting older.
I am relocating to South Hartford I absolutely love the North. I know the winter season is pretty harsh and the cost of living is expensive but I look at the overall pic. The jobs up there pay you for you experience and most work with unions. The system is designed for anyone to succeed rather the sough in my opinion failure. What part of CT are you from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta