Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 11:08 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,213,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
I just don't understand the thought of going to college in a big city. Not appealing to me at all.
Just because college in a big city isn't appealing to you doesn't mean it's not a dream scenario for a lot of high school kids. Look at the insane amount of applications that city schools like Boston University and NYU get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 08:33 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,426,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
Just because college in a big city isn't appealing to you doesn't mean it's not a dream scenario for a lot of high school kids. Look at the insane amount of applications that city schools like Boston University and NYU get.

I think we can all agree those areas are not Metro Atlanta.

Atlanta is a lot cooler these days, but its still Atlanta. I get that is a personal opinion.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:15 AM

643 posts, read 571,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
I think we can all agree those areas are not Metro Atlanta.

Atlanta is a lot cooler these days, but its still Atlanta. I get that is a personal opinion.
Who could possibly want to go to school at an elite university nestled among Fortune 500 companies?

Sure that doesn't facilitate those rural SE barnyard keggers, but if that is what you prioritize, GT probably isn't for you. Some people go to college to set themselves up for a career. If you graduate from GT your path to career success is easier than if you go to a 2nd tier college like UGA. You can still be successful from UGA, but you are choosing a more difficult and less likely to work route. That decision to a logical person is pure stupidity. But then again, how many people going to UGA really got into GT. Ask them and all of them did. In reality, the number is quite small.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:14 AM

445 posts, read 516,520 times
I would think that a lot of UGA applicants don't even apply to Tech. Not everyone's into math.

I'm surprised how high UGA's acceptance rate is, just a little bit lower than Georgia State's.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:26 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHonchoATL View Post

Sure that doesn't facilitate those rural SE barnyard keggers, but if that is what you prioritize, GT probably isn't for you. Some people go to college to set themselves up for a career.
Lordy - I lived at Tech for a summer when I was in college and interning in Atlanta. They had plenty of keggers as well! Those folks knew how to party.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:37 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,035,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
If most of your professors were like Walter Lewin and Gilbert Strang, then you had professors that valued teaching. Otherwise, schools like Georgia Tech should drop all pretense and be more like Cal Tech and emphasize graduate study. Schools like Tech and UGA can claim to be good mostly because of the quality of the students they enroll, and not the quality of the teaching.
You're correct in that the quality of instruction (i.e. presenting the material in a way that prioritizes learning during lectures & classes) is not always the top priority.

However, this doesn't mean that the instruction is necessarily bad. For example, not lingering on, nor working through a complicated problem for more than once. Sometimes its necessary to prioritize getting through all of the other material on the syllabus and trusting that any students who don't understand will spend the necessary time reviewing their notes, or seeking help outside of class.

Within their first year there, almost all of the students who eventually successfully get their degrees there (in engineering, anyways) figure out that they need to learn how to teach themselves items or topics that are only touched upon in class. I remember one of my friends (a year ahead of me) telling this to me after I'd complained about one of my classes freshman year.

Its a mistake to think that Tech can only claim to be good because of the caliber of student that they enroll. Most degrees there take 5 years.... even bright students would languish after enduring 4-5 years of a poor college education. Tech's grads still tend to outperform their counterparts from other colleges, which suggests that they are doing something right with their students.

Tech has been around since 1885. That's probably enough time to have developed a workable formula for challenging the students and providing a good education.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:16 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Why so the pejorative, especially about a very intelligent young lady of whom you know nothing?
Ok, so why did you place "Go Dawgs!" in your title? Students are drawn to UGA because of the football team. As long as they win, they think UGA gives a great education.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Its a mistake to think that Tech can only claim to be good because of the caliber of student that they enroll. Most degrees there take 5 years.... even bright students would languish after enduring 4-5 years of a poor college education. Tech's grads still tend to outperform their counterparts from other colleges, which suggests that they are doing something right with their students.

Tech has been around since 1885. That's probably enough time to have developed a workable formula for challenging the students and providing a good education.
Georgia Tech was primarily a teaching school, a product of what was thought to be addressing a shortcoming of the South after the war. The turning point was with President Pettit in the 1970s. He turned Tech into a major research university. That's fine. No better way to earn a reputation. I had one professor insist that good researchers make better teachers. That struck me as a non sequitur. That professor was a very good teacher, someone I would emulate if I were a prof, but he was driven by ego and loved to show off what he knew in class. But he was a special case, not the rule at Tech.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:28 PM

445 posts, read 516,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Ok, so why did you place "Go Dawgs!" in your title? Students are drawn to UGA because of the football team. As long as they win, they think UGA gives a great education.
A lot people like Athens too. People have had an increasingly high opinion of UGA's academics since the advent of HOPE. No one thought the academics were that great in 1980 when they won the national championship. I don't see the correlation. You were saying that Ansley's daughter couldn't have had good teachers because UGA's football team is better than Tech's, right?

Old 08-17-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Lordy - I lived at Tech for a summer when I was in college and interning in Atlanta. They had plenty of keggers as well! Those folks knew how to party.
Yeah, Tech has a little known reputation of molding alcoholics before they graduate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta