Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2017, 08:17 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,311,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Nah, he has a point. Look at Masquerade concert listings from the early '90s, then look at them from ten years later. The difference in quality is stark.

That doesn't make sense.

If bands that toured/performed 20-something years ago stopped playing the Masq it's likely that the band is dead, not touring, not touring ATL or they outgrew the size.

Plenty of locals open and headline shows at the Masq,but you aren't going to notice or recognize them if you are too old or out of touch to keep up ( which is fine, people's priorities change). They even have festivals for local metal bands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 09:06 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,317,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post

That doesn't make sense.

If bands that toured/performed 20-something years ago stopped playing the Masq it's likely that the band is dead, not touring, not touring ATL or they outgrew the size.

Plenty of locals open and headline shows at the Masq,but you aren't going to notice or recognize them if you are too old or out of touch to keep up ( which is fine, people's priorities change). They even have festivals for local metal bands.
The bold portion is true in some cases, but not only is it irrelevant, it doesn't come close to telling the whole story. The reason so many of the bands that played there outgrew the size is because they were acts that went on to mainstream appeal. Bands that went on to become highly successful, highly respected, and in some cases, among the biggest bands in the world, played there regularly:

Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, Phish, Green Day, Widespread Panic, Bjork, Coldplay, Flaming Lips, Dave Matthews Band, Weezer, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Queens of the Stone Age, Foo Fighters, Primus, Yo La Tengo, Living Colour, Nine Inch Nails, Public Enemy, The Killers, Panic at the Disco, Tool, Oasis, Rage Against the Machine, a bunch of metal and reggae bands that have had staying power, etc. That's a far more diverse range of acts than what they have been offering in more recent years.

They do pretty well for metal, but aside from that genre, how many bands have played there in the last 20 years that have had careers on the level of any of the bands I mentioned? Or even careers that outgrew the venue?

I get the feeling we've had this conversation before. You were wrong then, and you still are.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
The bold portion is true in some cases, but not only is it irrelevant, it doesn't come close to telling the whole story. The reason so many of the bands that played there outgrew the size is because they were acts that went on to mainstream appeal. Bands that went on to become highly successful, highly respected, and in some cases, among the biggest bands in the world, played there regularly:

Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, Phish, Green Day, Widespread Panic, Bjork, Coldplay, Flaming Lips, Dave Matthews Band, Weezer, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Queens of the Stone Age, Foo Fighters, Primus, Yo La Tengo, Living Colour, Nine Inch Nails, Public Enemy, The Killers, Panic at the Disco, Tool, Oasis, Rage Against the Machine, a bunch of metal and reggae bands that have had staying power, etc. That's a far more diverse range of acts than what they have been offering in more recent years.

They do pretty well for metal, but aside from that genre, how many bands have played there in the last 20 years that have had careers on the level of any of the bands I mentioned? Or even careers that outgrew the venue?

I get the feeling we've had this conversation before. You were wrong then, and you still are.

Lol, we have never had this discussion and you literally refuted me by making my point.

Did you skip the part you bolded bro?

Quote:
they outgrew the size.
What did you think that meant?

How is the Masquerade responsible for the success of the bands that came through? They book and often sell out for shows of all kinds of genres and you can go to the page see the diverse lineup. If you don't like new or modern bands that isn't their fault. Your issue is with the state of rock music in general.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:50 AM

I just browsed the just announced and see stuff ranging from indie , trap, hard rock, post-hardcore , etc. How do only or mostly see metal bands is beyond me.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:54 AM

I can't believe this.

You literally just listed the playlist for most clear channel "rock stations" that play 70% old stuff with a sprinkle of new. If that is your thing then fine, but that isn't the Masqs fault. Rock music has been overtaken by EDM and hip hop.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:15 AM
JPD

Quote:
Lol, we have never had this discussion and you literally refuted me by making my point.

Did you skip the part you bolded bro?
What was your point? And why did you ignore this question?

how many bands have played there in the last 20 years that have had careers on the level of any of the bands I mentioned? Or even careers that outgrew the venue?

You seem quite worked up, based on your repeated, rapid fire posts. It's funny.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
What was your point? And why did you ignore this question?

how many bands have played there in the last 20 years that have had careers on the level of any of the bands I mentioned? Or even careers that outgrew the venue?

You seem quite worked up, based on your repeated, rapid fire posts. It's funny.
How on Earth is that relevant and how does that make Masquerade any different for any other mid-sized concert venue when none of those acts are local? What are we comparing the Masq to in this discussion? 2 of those bands you mentioned aren't even 20 years old.

Taking Back Sunday , New Found Glory, Mayday Parade, Dragonforce, Cradle of Filth, Canibal Corpse, KMFDM, ASAP Ferg, Future, Offspring, Bad Religion, ect have played recently and/or playing soon if you are talking about big acts. Still don't get how this proves the Masqerade is better or worse.

If you just like old gen x jams admit it. Don't pass that off as a venue catering to the same crowd it pretty much always had as being "worse" then when you liked new stuff. You hate the music industry. Not the Masq.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:42 PM
JPD

Quote:
How on Earth is that relevant and how does that make Masquerade any different for any other mid-sized concert venue when none of those acts are local? What are we comparing the Masq to in this discussion? 2 of those bands you mentioned aren't even 20 years old.

Taking Back Sunday , New Found Glory, Mayday Parade, Dragonforce, Cradle of Filth, Canibal Corpse, KMFDM, ASAP Ferg, Future, Offspring, Bad Religion, ect have played recently and/or playing soon if you are talking about big acts. Still don't get how this proves the Masqerade is better or worse.

If you just like old gen x jams admit it. Don't pass that off as a venue catering to the same crowd it pretty much always had as being "worse" then when you liked new stuff. You hate the music industry. Not the Masq.
Wt actual f?

Yeah, I only like gen x jams, that's why there's never been a single day in the past 30 years that I wasn't in a band playing new, original music.

I do like gen x jams, though. Boomer jams, too. I also like music from the '30s, '40s, and '50s. And I like a bunch of current bands. I find that to be true of virtually all people who genuinely enjoy music.

You should probably shelve your poisonous attitude.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:01 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,433,395 times
Quote:
The Masquerade hasn't been cool since the '90s. Since then, the east side crowd only went there begrudgingly. The "cool" folks would much rather see a concert at the Earl, Star Bar, Variety Playhouse, 529, or even Terminal West or the Center Stage complex. That's the way it's been for a long time. All this Masquerade love these days is really fake. It's far more a reflection of anti-gentrification sentiments than love for the Masquerade.

Having said that, I'm glad they have a new location and are going to continue. There can never be enough music venues, even if some of them are cesspools.

I would have preferred they find a location better served by transit, but the current location isn't well served by transit, either, so no harm no foul.
I don't really understand this comment. Personally I have never preferred to see a concert at any venue.

I go to see a concert if the artist that is playing is someone I like. If so, then I would see them at any venue.

Attending a concert at a particular venue to be "cool" is something I have never experienced.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:36 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,080,918 times
Quote:
Personally I have never preferred to see a concert at any venue.
Really?

Personally, I hate the Tabernacle. And I love CenterStage, Buckhead Theater, The Earl, and Terminal West. I'm "meh" on the Masquerade.

And I'll tell you this...after Billy Joel (ugh, don't ask...dragged there) I will never, ever see another show at SunTrust Park even if it's a Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin reunion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta