Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2017, 06:46 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
I love how Karen Handel uses attack ads against Ossof, saying he is not "one of us", yet he was born and grew up in metro Atlanta. Handel, on the other hand, born in D.C (how fitting) and grew up in Maryland
But isn't it true that he moved away years ago, first to work as a congressional aide in D.C., then to live with his girlfriend outside the district?

Handel, on the other hand, lives and works in Georgia and understands the issues and concerns of the voters.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:51 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I don't even wanna know the horrific things Karen Handel did in college
Unreal how they got all that video.

The age of the cellphone videocamera.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:13 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post

In fact the "I don't support a living wage" would have been the nail in the coffin for Handel if I lives in the 6th.
The Ossoff campaign and every PAC working on his behalf completely ignored this huge opportunity that she dropped right into their laps. His campaign has been coasting for weeks, and he'll probably lose because of it.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:31 AM

22 posts, read 13,952 times
Received a call from the Ossoft campaign on Sunday -my mom spoke with a Mandarin speaker who asked her to vote for Ossoft. Definitely a lot of money being poured into his campaign...honestly was quite off-putting.

Last edited by brito11; 06-20-2017 at 08:53 AM..

Old 06-20-2017, 08:42 AM

95 posts, read 85,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatlanta View Post
Well I live in the district own a pretty successful local business and voted for Ossoff not because of Trump but because Handel is worthless as is the local Republican party who only care about big business. If you really think Republicans are pro small business you are dreaming.
Fair enough, but your vote for Ossoff helps your business how exactly? Democrats no longer belief in free market Capitlaism. They honestly regard business as a means to provide people benefits that they increasingly view should be "free" (i.e. healthcare, college, maternity leave). They view you as a business owner as a cow who's sole existence should be to provide for your employees, not to facilitate profit for your company and family. If you actually did vote for him, you did do at your own peril.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:58 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Vol View Post
Fair enough, but your vote for Ossoff helps your business how exactly? Democrats no longer belief in free market Capitlaism. They honestly regard business as a means to provide people benefits that they increasingly view should be "free" (i.e. healthcare, college, maternity leave). They view you as a business owner as a cow who's sole existence should be to provide for your employees, not to facilitate profit for your company and family. If you actually did vote for him, you did do at your own peril.
I don't think those views comport with the majority of the Democratic Party. They certainly don't comport with mine. My career is in banking and I like capitalism quite a lot, thank you very much. I do think a basic income funded from general tax revenues would be more fair than a minimum wage, but let's not kid ourselves: The most powerful opponents of minimum wage increases are massive retailers such as Walmart. Not "small business."

It's also worth noting that a capitalist powerhouse like Germany provides "free" health care, college and maternity leave, and somehow its businesses do just fine. "Free" obviously isn't free, but other developed countries are able to provide universal, affordable access to these social benefits while still supporting robust market economies. There's something unique about the U.S. and its history that drives powerful resistance to and resentment of the welfare state. I can't think what it could be...

GA06: Coin flip, but it seems like the race has shifted toward Handel a bit in the last week or so. I think she pulls it out by a narrow margin.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:31 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,775,179 times
Quote:
The irony of this situation is how untrue it is where it really matters.

Democrats tend to support laws and regulations designed to support multi-company markets that make free market capitalism work effectively and efficiently.

Republicans tend to support more lassiez faire 'free markets' that lead to heavy consolidation to a point where competition is actually lowered in the market and gives pricing power to a few.

Better support for anti-trust laws, before things get too consolidated, encourages marketplaces to stay competitive and more companies in positions to test new ideas so the marketplace can evolve to more efficient ways. Republicans turn a blind eye and simply call doing nothing a free market.

Healthcare is an awkward one, because it never operates competitively. People aren't really able to price compete for health services, because they do not know what health services they need ahead of time, with whom, and when they need them time is a factor. Then we have other problems that have to be fixed, because at the end of the day we are a civilized society... we will not turn people away from an ER in need either. Yet, it is a huge cost that has to be addressed.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:05 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
But isn't it true that he moved away years ago, first to work as a congressional aide in D.C., then to live with his girlfriend outside the district?

Handel, on the other hand, lives and works in Georgia and understands the issues and concerns of the voters.
Well who ever wins is about to go live DC and spend most of their time there anyways. So it's like attacking him for what they both hope to happen. But I think the issue is being spun to make it seem he has no affiliation with the district which is false.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:12 AM

376 posts, read 330,655 times
Quote:
What you call 'benefits' are actually investments. Investing as a society in peoples health and education is the smart thing to do.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:25 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,035,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brito11 View Post
Received a call from the Ossoft campaign on Sunday -my mom spoke with a Mandarin speaker who asked her to vote for Ossoft. Definitely a lot of money being poured into his campaign...honestly was quite off-putting.
If your mom is Chinese then it shouldn't be *that* off putting.
Now if I got a phone call and the caller immediately launched into "你要不要投票给JON-OSSOFF?" Then it would freak me out for two reasons.

One, how did he/she know that I knew mandarin? I have absolutely zero asian blood.
Two, if they know that much, then how come they can't figure out that I actually live in district five? Did I get gerrymandered in the last year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta