Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2018, 11:50 AM

527 posts, read 320,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
They have to serve people from all over the political spectrum, so its best to be apolitical. Selecting a specific group to drop is not apolitical.
It's not a political decision. It's a business decision.

Quote:
At least you're willing to admit that the NRA is a partisan political entity.
Actually Cagle admitted as much in his tweet.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:00 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,611,192 times
Wonder how much of the infrastructure is still there from the Northwest Hub in Minnesota? Now that would be a slap in the face of Georgia republicans if Delta just up and left for Minnesota siting a better business environment in one of the bluest states.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:57 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I will read up on this further. I respect your opinion on this and you are one of the few here that word your responses in a way that do not make another poster feel one upped. I am out of state so miss some of the nuance, depend on this site to keep me up to date. Thanks.

I am much more centrist than the conservative realm I have been around most my life. I still have a heart for people on the far right and simply hate the strong arm tactics some on the left display to get some consensus in the middle. I see it making them dig their heels in further and the divide deepens and no consensus is reached. I realize that this is a two way street as well. The pendulum seems to swing further one direction and the opposite side reacts with just as much ridiculousness the other way to hold their ground.

For what it's worth, I side with Delta on this. Just wish they would come at this in a way not to rile the right. Maybe I wish for too much,.
I think people can debate as much as they want, but we are who we elect. This is not the first time we are here. NH voted democratic for quite some time now, did not make a big difference, it has more to do with changing with the times.
Painting a state red or blue really makes us more divisive and hence the resistance and the ridiculous reactions that you mention in your post.

I saw this video on youtube and it was very simple - why can't we protect our future generation with the same zeal and $$$$ we spend on airports and other sensitive places. Ok, before we jump on a solution, more guns to protect against people with guns does not really fly, almost the entire world's population is currently living without the fear of protecting a free state without guns, and I cannot imagine our historians could have dreamed about kids walking with automatic weapons in schools with harmful intent.

Also as corporations and individuals have realized, THERE IS NO MIDDLE GROUND !!!!
Its really upon us to realize the magnitude of this, because if these killings do not personally affect anyone close and dear to our heart, the effect of the event fizzles out eventually.

I hope Amazon does not come here (maybe it never was going to), and that very decision can be used as justification to shake something up at the top !! It will be the best gift from Amazon.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:00 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
Delta leaving is exactly what this state deserves. They should leave.
The state does not deserves it; only the citizens that elected these asshats in the first place do.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:06 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,555,881 times
This is what I want:
1) Delta cuts ties with the NRA.
2) The Georgia General Assembly doesn’t give Delta its tax breaks.
3) The legislators who keep sponsoring "religious liberty" bills are voted out.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:42 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,508,244 times
2018 Georgia Republican gubernatorial candidate and current Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp issued a release to the press this morning suggesting that, in addition to carrying out with its threat to kill the fuel tax break, the State of Georgia should implement a sales tax holiday for guns and ammo.

Since Kemp is running for governor on a Trump-like platform aimed at maximizing turnout from deeply-conservative rural voters, it is widely assumed that Kemp made this move as an attempt to one-up Casey Cagle who was the first gubernatorial candidate to jump on the Delta/NRA discount issue after Lt. gubernatorial candidate Rick Jeffares ignited the firestorm over the weekend.

Quote:
(Athens, GA) - In a strange turn of events, Delta Airlines' ill-advised decision to sever ties with the National Rifle Association (NRA) has jeopardized the fate of a special interest tax break that was expected to sail through the Senate and save the airline millions of dollars.

Today, conservative businessman and Secretary of State Brian Kemp - who condemned Delta for targeting 2nd Amendment supporters and unequivocally opposed the jet fuel tax exemption - urged state lawmakers to withdraw the controversial tax break and instead pass a sales tax holiday for guns and ammunition.
"KEMP: KILL THE DELTA TAX BREAK, PASS SALES TAX HOLIDAY FOR GUNS AND AMMO" (Kemp for Governor)
KEMP: KILL THE DELTA TAX BREAK, PASS SALES TAX HOLIDAY FOR GUNS AND AMMO | Kemp for Governor

Last edited by Born 2 Roll; 02-27-2018 at 01:57 PM..

Old 02-27-2018, 01:52 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,443,661 times
Brilliant move by Delta, thanks for letting us see these politicians true colors.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:01 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,508,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
This is what I want:
1) Delta cuts ties with the NRA.
2) The Georgia General Assembly doesn’t give Delta its tax breaks.
3) The legislators who keep sponsoring "religious liberty" bills are voted out.
1 and 2 are already done, but 3 is going to be much less likely.

That's because many of the legislators who keep sponsoring religious liberty bills are deeply-conservative rural areas where those bills (along with any and everything that is pro-gun) are popular with voters.

Legislators keep putting forth these religious liberty bills year-after-year-after-year because they know that supporting and pushing those bills are an automatic ticket to re-election for them in their deeply-conservative rural districts.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:04 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,865,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
1 and 2 are already done, but 3 is going to be much less likely.

That's because many of the legislators who keep sponsoring religious liberty bills are deeply-conservative rural areas where those bills (along with any and everything that is pro-gun) are popular with voters.

Legislators keep putting forth these religious liberty bills year-after-year-after-year because they know that supporting and pushing those bills are an automatic ticket to re-election for them in their deeply-conservative rural districts.
So from your viewpoint, this is nothing to get too worked up over? Just keeping their base covered? Of course if we get a governor less moderate than Deal, it could be a problem.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:40 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
NY and Virginia trying to court Delta.
New York, Virginia court Delta following backlash from Georgia Republicans - Feb. 27, 2018
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta