Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2018, 01:28 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
The Campbelton Road corridor is set to receive over $420 Mil. in total transit funds between future ART, BRT, and LRT services. While I'm certain that the corridor does deserve that amount of spending, I can't help but compare it to other corridors that saw their proposed streetcar & light rail service postponed in favor of less expensive options.

Instead, what I would, like to see would be the shift of the money being set aside for the Campbelton Light Rail Line to an otherwise unserved project.

Specifically, I would suggest reallocating the light rail funds to the Southside BeltLine, bridging the gap between the S-Concept light rail sections from Murphy Ave to Irwin through the southeastern city. This would represent roughly 6 miles, or ~$330 Mil. by MARTA's own per-mile estimates. That leaves a $66.3 Mil. shortfall from the funding MARTA is planning for the Campbellton Line. I would be surprised if this gap could be closed if the project was paired directly with ABI's built-out of the Southside trail, allowing both MARTA and ABI to share land-working, infrastructure, and construction contracting costs. Further funding could come directly from ABI to help finish the route, since they are, as an organization, supposed to be funding transit as well as the trail and parks.

This would provide additional high-capacity service to the SE side of the city, allow riders to bypass the potentially slow inner-core of the city while trying to access the east side, allow cross-connectivity between the Northside and Capitol Bus Rapid Transit lines, and ensure that the BeltLine itself would be far more complete, all while still allowing high-capacity transit to be implemented in the Campbellton Rd corridor in the form of Bus Rapid Transit.
Actually, Campbellton Rd ART was dropped from the latest list published on MoreMARTA
http://www.itsmarta.com/uploadedFile...ary_052918.pdf(last pages)
Have the Capital Ave BRT use the existing Downtown Streetcar lanes and close them off to private vehicles. Kills 2 birds with 1 stone.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:58 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,696,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Actually, Campbellton Rd ART was dropped from the latest list published on MoreMARTA
http://www.itsmarta.com/uploadedFile...ary_052918.pdf(last pages)
Have the Capital Ave BRT use the existing Downtown Streetcar lanes and close them off to private vehicles. Kills 2 birds with 1 stone.
Note that the Campbellton Rd ART is still listed as "Y" on the list. It's a project that's still happening, but as I understand it, most of (all?) the funding is coming from outside the More MARTA source.

I was speaking in total terms, not just from More MARTA funding.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:42 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,142,186 times
So pretty much we will have to suffer in traffic for 1-2 more decades before we get our transit any better, and unless there is commuter rail to the suburbs, that wont help the problems outside the perimeter, but will atleast make Fulton and Dekalb much better

Old 05-31-2018, 05:03 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
The Campbelton Road corridor is set to receive over $420 Mil. in total transit funds between future ART, BRT, and LRT services. While I'm certain that the corridor does deserve that amount of spending, I can't help but compare it to other corridors that saw their proposed streetcar & light rail service postponed in favor of less expensive options.

Instead, what I would, like to see would be the shift of the money being set aside for the Campbelton Light Rail Line to an otherwise unserved project.

Specifically, I would suggest reallocating the light rail funds to the Southside BeltLine, bridging the gap between the S-Concept light rail sections from Murphy Ave to Irwin through the southeastern city. This would represent roughly 6 miles, or ~$330 Mil. by MARTA's own per-mile estimates. That leaves a $66.3 Mil. shortfall from the funding MARTA is planning for the Campbellton Line. I would be surprised if this gap could be closed if the project was paired directly with ABI's built-out of the Southside trail, allowing both MARTA and ABI to share land-working, infrastructure, and construction contracting costs. Further funding could come directly from ABI to help finish the route, since they are, as an organization, supposed to be funding transit as well as the trail and parks.

This would provide additional high-capacity service to the SE side of the city, allow riders to bypass the potentially slow inner-core of the city while trying to access the east side, allow cross-connectivity between the Northside and Capitol Bus Rapid Transit lines, and ensure that the BeltLine itself would be far more complete, all while still allowing high-capacity transit to be implemented in the Campbellton Rd corridor in the form of Bus Rapid Transit.
Agreed. Campbellton Road needs to pick one option.

Any LRT built needs to be 90% in its own RoW.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:44 PM

6,562 posts, read 12,057,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
So pretty much we will have to suffer in traffic for 1-2 more decades before we get our transit any better, and unless there is commuter rail to the suburbs, that wont help the problems outside the perimeter, but will atleast make Fulton and Dekalb much better
Don't worry, cars will be flying by then, lol.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:40 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,880,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Traffic is not going to get better in the long run either way. But transit can make incremental improvements pretty quick. For example, MARTA has already implemented a lot of bus improvements from the Nov 2016 More MARTA vote. But I agree major new transit lines will take a decade or two to come on line.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:44 PM

262 posts, read 202,513 times
MARTA has got to be the best transit system in the entire southeast

Old 06-03-2018, 11:22 AM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,896,004 times
https://www.myajc.com/blog/commuting...CfYsCoNQvc5LI/

What wasn't included.

Heavy rail

*I-20 West: Two miles of heavy rail service from H.E. Holmes Station to a new station at Martin Luther King Jr. Drive and I-285. $223.6 million.

*20 rail cars for Green Line expansion: Additional 20 rail cars to accommodate capacity improvements along the Green Line. No cost provided.

*10 rail cars for Blue Line expansion: Additional 10 rail cars to accommodate capacity improvements along the Blue Line. No cost provided.

Article also lists light rail, BRT, ART and other projects (infill stations) that were considered and not included.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:24 AM
bu2

https://www.myajc.com/news/opinion/o...MiAgUcVG6wezH/

Thoughtful article on getting new transit right:

"A new day for Atlanta transit has arrived, and with new leadership at city hall, the city has the opportunity to reconsider its transit direction to date. Fumbling along with the Beltline as its narrowly focused de facto transit planner and its mostly empty downtown streetcar as its only on-the-ground transit accomplishment, it’s time to get real.
A transit system is about connections between concentrations of origins and destinations – where people are and where they’re trying to get, in which coverage area and frequency of service are the most important factors in boosting ridership. Without ridership, transit becomes infeasible. Only after that kind of analysis does it become useful to consider what mix of transit modes best serves the system, evolving over time from right now on into the future. What do we need, who needs it most, and when do we need it? These questions must include consideration of fast-changing travel behaviors and technologies, like bike/pedestrian, Lyft and Uber, and autonomous vehicles. As part of that analysis, it is essential to consider cost and time of delivery. How are we going to pay for different modes, and how long does it take to deliver them?..."

Old 06-03-2018, 11:27 AM
bu2

Parker, however, seems to not get it.
https://www.myajc.com/news/opinion/o...uHEp4nGRzrztN/

"MARTA is in the midst of planning and executing its largest system and service expansion in well over two decades. Our mission is simple: connecting people and creating communities...."

Parker seems to think social engineering is MARTA's purpose (as well as "to expand the transit footprint")--NOT connecting people with their destinations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta