Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2018, 08:06 PM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,899,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It would sure be nice to see our extremely well-heeled (and tax exempt) new congregants drop a few coins into the collection plate. Especially since they've decided to sit in the front pew.
At least some ROW so that it doesn't all need to be tunnel.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:04 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
I have a feeling the Campbellton project is going to get hammered in the public forums. To waste that amount of money to first do BRT, then upgrade to LRT is extremely stupid.
Not to mention could score low for FTA funds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
How was the funding supposed to work out before the More MARTA tax was conceived? IIRC, MARTA was going to fund it from the capital projects fund and leverage the feds. I do not recall discussions of this being a project with no prospect for funding.

I also think the State could be a source of funding. I don't believe The ATL framework would prevent funding direct from the state. The State already directly funded MARTA project(s) last year. Out of all the potential transit project in Metro Atlanta, I believe the CC would be one of the most likely candidate for state funding. The project makes a lot of sense from a regional perspective.

All the above is really beside the point considering that less than 20% of the CC resided in Atlanta when this tax was passed and voters were explicitly told that the CC was contingent on funding from other municipalities. Now, thanks to an annexation that resulted in boundaries that look like political gerrymandering, it's now the city's burden to cover what is most likely going to be over 50% of the total local funding for the CC? Phase 1 will certainly be more expensive than Phase 2.

Again, I don't mind if some funding for the CC come from the More MARTA tax. But Atlanta should not be covering the majority of local funding. It's really absurd considering how very little of this project resided in the city of Atlanta just a few months ago.
ATL will focus their attention on the suburbs (Republican voting counties.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It would sure be nice to see our extremely well-heeled (and tax exempt) new congregants drop a few coins into the collection plate. Especially since they've decided to sit in the front pew.
With the thousands of CDC employees along the route, the Feds have a huge stake in this.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:58 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
Per the in-depth AJC article on the More MARTA Recommended Program Scenario, Campbellton Rd has 3 projects listed for a total of $421.3M.
https://www.myajc.com/blog/commuting...U0N4TZEYqNP6H/
  • Campbellton Line: Five miles of in-street light rail service along Campbellton Road between Oakland City Station and Greenbriar Mall. An arterial rapid transit line has been established. It will be upgraded to bus rapid transit and then to light rail in the long run. $263.7 million (light rail only).
  • Campbellton Line: Five miles of in-street bus rapid transit service along Campbellton Road between Oakland City Station and Greenbriar Mall. The line began as arterial rapid transit, but will be upgraded to BRT and later to light rail. $130 million (bus rapid transit only).
  • Route 583 - Campbellton Line: Arterial rapid transit along Campbellton Road from Greenbriar Mall to Oakland City Station. Mostly finished. Will be upgraded to bus rapid transit and, eventually, to light rail. $27.6 million (ART only).
Campbellton Rd needs BRT at the very least, but we can focus the other $291.3M on BeltLine Southside LRT, bringing rail transit to SE Atlanta.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...395000003&z=11

Old 05-16-2018, 01:48 PM

15 posts, read 9,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Per the in-depth AJC article on the More MARTA Recommended Program Scenario, Campbellton Rd has 3 projects listed for a total of $421.3M.
  • Campbellton Line: Five miles of in-street light rail service along Campbellton Road between Oakland City Station and Greenbriar Mall. An arterial rapid transit line has been established. It will be upgraded to bus rapid transit and then to light rail in the long run. $263.7 million (light rail only).
  • Campbellton Line: Five miles of in-street bus rapid transit service along Campbellton Road between Oakland City Station and Greenbriar Mall. The line began as arterial rapid transit, but will be upgraded to BRT and later to light rail. $130 million (bus rapid transit only).
  • Route 583 - Campbellton Line: Arterial rapid transit along Campbellton Road from Greenbriar Mall to Oakland City Station. Mostly finished. Will be upgraded to bus rapid transit and, eventually, to light rail. $27.6 million (ART only).
Campbellton Rd needs BRT at the very least, but we can focus the other $291.3M on BeltLine Southside LRT, bringing rail transit to SE Atlanta.
That is an absurd amount of money to invest in that corridor.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:13 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,362,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadATLsportsfan View Post
That is an absurd amount of money to invest in that corridor.
I want to know how they plan to fit light rail onto Cambellton. The 4-lane stretches are under 40' wide, and the two-lane stretches are under 30' wide in their widest parts. How are they going to fit a light rail line down that? And before someone says "just close the road completely and make it transit only!!1!1"...it's the only east-west road there without going miles out of the way.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:39 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,948,020 times
Under Light Rail
Quote:
*Campbellton Line: Five miles of in-street light rail service along Campbellton Road between Oakland City Station and Greenbriar Mall. An arterial rapid transit line has been established. It will be upgraded to bus rapid transit and then to light rail in the long run. $263.7 million (light rail only).
Under BRT
Quote:
*Campbellton Line: Five miles of in-street bus rapid transit service along Campbellton Road between Oakland City Station and Greenbriar Mall. The line began as arterial rapid transit, but will be upgraded to BRT and later to light rail. $130 million (bus rapid transit only).
Does that mean the cost for the Campbellton Line is $400 million?

Old 05-17-2018, 04:32 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,963,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Under Light Rail

Under BRT

Does that mean the cost for the Campbellton Line is $400 million?
Please read back a couple pages. As has been said already, the idea is to start with BRT and then upgrade the line to light rail in the future.

And I agree wholeheartedly with everyone else - they can do BRT and leave it alone. Give the $263 million for Campbellton "future LRT" to the beltline. Don't ********** up, Keisha.

Old 05-17-2018, 05:21 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,948,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Please read back a couple pages. As has been said already, the idea is to start with BRT and then upgrade the line to light rail in the future.

And I agree wholeheartedly with everyone else - they can do BRT and leave it alone. Give the $263 million for Campbellton "future LRT" to the beltline. Don't ********** up, Keisha.
I haven't been following this thread all that closely. I can only keep up on one maybe two Atlanta transit threads. I had assumed incorrectly that it the light rail included the BRT step.

$400 million is a lot of money to direct towards that route. Hopefully they add to it as ridership numbers grow.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:00 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,963,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
$400 million is a lot of money to direct towards that route. Hopefully they add to it as ridership numbers grow.
A whole lot! Maybe one day that area will have the density to support it with affordable housing (hello Tim Keane). Cross that bridge when we get there, but we need to use some of these current dollars for more pressing needs.

Last edited by alco89; 05-17-2018 at 06:09 AM..

Old 05-17-2018, 10:18 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
A whole lot! Maybe one day that area will have the density to support it with affordable housing (hello Tim Keane). Cross that bridge when we get there, but we need to use some of these current dollars for more pressing needs.
I agree with everybody here. So, now that we've all agreed with each other on a website, what is some actual action that can be taken here? How do we make our voices heard? I know there are some public meetings coming up, but I feel like they are for show. I have a few problems with service/priorities in the plan, and I'm not sure how to actually make a difference. KLB is obviously the reason the Campelton line is happening over the beltline - how do you make that change?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta