Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 03:39 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,162,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
TBH it would be nice to have dedicated roads (outside the city) with no speed limits. allowing only qualified drivers and qualified cars, from Atlanta to Florida as an alternative to I-75 and also a slightly twisty one from Atlanta to D.C. where we could just open up a bit. I know we're complaining about 100+ MPH drivers and while I agree there is no excuse, giving them more outlets would probably reduce the amount of stuff they do illegally.
Those are called race courses. Once the pandemic dies down, if they don't already have periodic events at Atlanta Motor Speedway where people can come in and drive around the oval, it'd be nice to have that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 04:16 PM

32,029 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
TBH it would be nice to have dedicated roads (outside the city) with no speed limits. allowing only qualified drivers and qualified cars, from Atlanta to Florida as an alternative to I-75 and also a slightly twisty one from Atlanta to D.C. where we could just open up a bit. I know we're complaining about 100+ MPH drivers and while I agree there is no excuse, giving them more outlets would probably reduce the amount of stuff they do illegally.
But should this be done at the expense of the ATL taxpayer? We don't require the Little Man to pay for shooting ranges so that certain people can go fire their high-powered weapons.

Put the cost on the user and let the speed demons tear around to their heart's content. Driving on Atlanta roads is a privilege, not a right.

Old 04-24-2020, 10:22 PM

11,836 posts, read 8,033,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
But should this be done at the expense of the ATL taxpayer? We don't require the Little Man to pay for shooting ranges so that certain people can go fire their high-powered weapons.

Put the cost on the user and let the speed demons tear around to their heart's content. Driving on Atlanta roads is a privilege, not a right.
These would more-less be roads outside the city and in rural areas so my imagination is it would either be a toll road or paid for at a state level .. and gas tax may actually be effective for something like that given you burn exponentially more fuel at those speeds. I'd be fine with either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Those are called race courses. Once the pandemic dies down, if they don't already have periodic events at Atlanta Motor Speedway where people can come in and drive around the oval, it'd be nice to have that.
It would just be nice to have an answer for Germany's Autobahn.

Old 04-24-2020, 11:01 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,162,036 times
Quote:
These would more-less be roads outside the city and in rural areas so my imagination is it would either be a toll road or paid for at a state level .. and gas tax may actually be effective for something like that given you burn exponentially more fuel at those speeds. I'd be fine with either.

It would just be nice to have an answer for Germany's Autobahn.
Remember, Germany has a much tougher driver's license test than US states do. And about half the autobahns have enforced speed limits.

Your larger point is taken, however. Perhaps they could have a setup like DC's Dulles toll road. Two free outer lanes in each direction with speed limits; and two tolled inner lanes in each direction without.

Old 04-25-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Remember, Germany has a much tougher driver's license test than US states do. And about half the autobahns have enforced speed limits.
Yes I know, this is why I said qualified drivers and cars.

Quote:
Your larger point is taken, however. Perhaps they could have a setup like DC's Dulles toll road. Two free outer lanes in each direction with speed limits; and two tolled inner lanes in each direction without.
California is doing this to I-5

Old 04-25-2020, 09:00 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,263,188 times
Quote:
And much more stringent safety requirements for cars (no dents is one), and no social activities when driving (eating, drinking, applying makeup, etc.). Road rules are enforced (especially keep right unless passing). It’s illegal to back up on the highway and illegal to run out of fuel. Those kinds of laws.

The majority of American drivers won’t be able to handle the Autobahnen, even where there are speed limits. And without speed limits the “advisory” limit is around 80mph I seem to recall - if you get into an accident at a higher speed you could be in serious trouble from a liability perspective.

Old 04-25-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
And much more stringent safety requirements for cars (no dents is one), and no social activities when driving (eating, drinking, applying makeup, etc.). Road rules are enforced (especially keep right unless passing). It’s illegal to back up on the highway and illegal to run out of fuel. Those kinds of laws.

The majority of American drivers won’t be able to handle the Autobahnen, even where there are speed limits. And without speed limits the “advisory” limit is around 80mph I seem to recall - if you get into an accident at a higher speed you could be in serious trouble from a liability perspective.
Even still I cant fathom the liberty of hopping on a road where I could drive as fast as I wanted without needing to worry about getting pulled over.

Old 04-25-2020, 10:15 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,263,188 times
Quote:
Even still I cant fathom the liberty of hopping on a road where I could drive as fast as I wanted without needing to worry about getting pulled over.
If you’re focused on strictly driving it’s a lot of fun. But also work. Even when I was passing people who were driving 60 I was getting passed by someone doing 150. On a 3 lane road this wasn’t too bad but on a 2 lane I was always going back and forth between lanes. You’d pass someone and then see the flashing high beams and you’d have to immediately pull over.

Old 04-25-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
If you’re focused on strictly driving it’s a lot of fun. But also work. Even when I was passing people who were driving 60 I was getting passed by someone doing 150. On a 3 lane road this wasn’t too bad but on a 2 lane I was always going back and forth between lanes. You’d pass someone and then see the flashing high beams and you’d have to immediately pull over.
Yeah, I heard driving on the autobahn consumes alot of stamina and you generally cannot drive as long of distances as you have to be super alert and cognitive and eventually that tires you down to the point where you'll start making mistakes much sooner.

Old 04-25-2020, 02:28 PM

32,029 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
Exactly. And it is not that easy to quickly pull over when you're going 120 and someone is rapidly closing on you at 150. There's not always an opening in the other lane and even if there is, those people may be traveling 40 mph slower than you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta