Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 06:35 PM

11,836 posts, read 8,033,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Kemp's base has always been the rural Georgia voter.

The rural Georgia voter in many cases does not want rules or laws imposed on them unilaterally with what is going on in the Georgia metro areas.

This is Kemp playing to his base
Yeah but It’s still ridiculous. Allow metropolitan areas or areas where cases are running rampant to impose their own restrictions based on the cases and situations at a local level where adjustments may be needed, not the whole state. Many states have done this. Not mandating masks is just asking for this to get worse in highly populated regions. Many states have found this out too.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:34 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,780,042 times
This is getting absolutely ridiculous.

This is complete contempt for actually trying to show any leadership for Georgians in a tough time.

This is bad policy for our elderly. This is bad policy for people. This is bad policy for getting ourselves to a point where our economy can actually get back to 100%, so people can feel comfortable and safe out and about.

The numbers are clear. Things are getting worse and if we aren't careful we will be the next Florida.

Old 07-16-2020, 08:20 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,903,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris1 View Post
Gov. Brian Kemp’s administration went to court Thursday seeking to block Atlanta from enacting coronavirus restrictions and its mask mandate..."

https://www.ajc.com/politics/politic...N7TTVO2ISNFDQ/
"...The state filed a lawsuit challenging Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms’ July 10 decision to revert to “phase one” guidelines that push restaurants to close dining rooms and urge residents to leave home only for essential trips. It also casts the city’s new mask requirements as “void and unenforceable.”

“This lawsuit is on behalf of the Atlanta business owners and their hardworking employees who are struggling to survive during these difficult times,” Kemp said in a statement. “These men and women are doing their very best to put food on the table for their families while local elected officials shutter businesses and undermine economic growth....”"

Old 07-16-2020, 08:43 PM

7,360 posts, read 6,534,071 times
When I first read this, I thought, Kemp was overstepping, then I read how despite the initial smackdown, bottoms was going to continue to blatantly violate Kemp's order.

Old 07-16-2020, 10:00 PM

322 posts, read 465,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
When I first read this, I thought, Kemp was overstepping, then I read how despite the initial smackdown, bottoms was going to continue to blatantly violate Kemp's order.
No, he's just doing the same stupid thing he's been doing all along. A real leader would have evolved with the ongoing science about this disease and MANDATED masks. Medical professionals now say with 90% mask wearing compliance, there would be no need to shut down businesses - the only thing kemp seems concerned with. A mask mandate would increase compliance and give more people the confidence to go out knowing they had some level of protection.

Old 07-16-2020, 10:24 PM

322 posts, read 465,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Agreed, the science is pretty clear. When Fauci, the Surgeon General, WHO etc told us a few months ago that masks don't affect the spread of a virus among the public, they were telling the truth.
They were saying what they believed to be true at the time and with the awareness of a limited supply of PPE. As they have learned more about Convid-19, everyone you mentioned has changed their position on masks. They all now says mask have shown to reduce the spread. That's the difference between a person of science and politicians like kemp/trump. When presented with new evidence, scientists learn and evolve their theories. Politicians like kemp/trump become obstinate and dig in.

Old 07-17-2020, 04:52 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,263,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeJr View Post
They were saying what they believed to be true at the time and with the awareness of a limited supply of PPE. As they have learned more about Convid-19, everyone you mentioned has changed their position on masks. They all now says mask have shown to reduce the spread. That's the difference between a person of science and politicians like kemp/trump. When presented with new evidence, scientists learn and evolve their theories. Politicians like kemp/trump become obstinate and dig in.
What digging in? Kemp says to wear a mask. Or are you the kind of person to not listen to your leaders until the government tells you what to do?

All major retailers are now starting to require masks.

Old 07-17-2020, 05:09 AM

1,005 posts, read 730,443 times
Another example of wasteful taxpayer dollars going to a lawsuit, especially one likely to fail but created from egomaniacal emotion to boot.

Other than the logic "no shoes, shirt," etc. that posters have already brought up, it's been clear to me that most people I've spoken to in the city proper see Atlanta's executive order and guidelines as recommendations–and, in fact, Bottoms's Executive Order does not include anything such as fines or the possibilities of shutting down businesses. Kemp is just pissed that more than enough people are not blind enough to follow his "wisdom." Home Grown even stated it would willingly shut down per Bottoms's recommendations.

But also, even if there was a fine, we all know now after two months in that it is rarely enforced, just like the No Litter signs we see everyday next to heaps of trash.

Only Americans can be so self-centered as to turn masks into a political issue, that public health isn't something we could all agree upon, especially if business limitations are still left to the owners to decide.

Said this before in a moderated post, but because this type of foolhardy behavior is continuing, more Georgians are asking for his recall. These things are related. At the end of the day, what now only matters is if Kemp wins the lawsuit or does not win the lawsuit. At different city levels and state levels, we really don't have high class leadership across the board. This is a perfect example. Sure, there are valid digs against Bottoms, but there are also valid digs against Kemp. This is just sad all around.

Old 07-17-2020, 05:18 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,263,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seussie View Post
Another example of wasteful taxpayer dollars going to a lawsuit, especially one likely to fail but created from egomaniacal emotion to boot.

Other than the logic "no shoes, shirt," etc. that posters have already brought up, it's been clear to me that most people I've spoken to in the city proper see Atlanta's executive order and guidelines as recommendations–and, in fact, Bottoms's Executive Order does not include anything such as fines or the possibilities of shutting down businesses. Kemp is just pissed that more than enough people are not blind enough to follow his "wisdom." Home Grown even stated it would willingly shut down per Bottoms's recommendations.

But also, even if there was a fine, we all know now after two months in that it is rarely enforced, just like the No Litter signs we see everyday next to heaps of trash.

Only Americans can be so self-centered as to turn masks into a political issue, that public health isn't something we could all agree upon, especially if business limitations are still left to the owners to decide.

Said this before in a moderated post, but because this type of foolhardy behavior is continuing, more Georgians are asking for his recall. These things are related. At the end of the day, what now only matters is if Kemp wins the lawsuit or does not win the lawsuit. At different city levels and state levels, we really don't have high class leadership across the board. This is a perfect example. Sure, there are valid digs against Bottoms, but there are also valid digs against Kemp. This is just sad all around.
I do think it’s a waste of time and a political pissing match. At the same time, her executive order was also a waste of time if it had no penalties. Her message to “return to phase 1” was also confusing and stressed out business owners.

About half of states require masks now, and I’m sure that number will grow. Kemp is not someone who will be at the forefront of this but if surrounding states implement it he will jump on the bandwagon.

Old 07-17-2020, 05:37 AM

1,005 posts, read 730,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I do think it’s a waste of time and a political pissing match. At the same time, her executive order was also a waste of time if it had no penalties. Her message to “return to phase 1” was also confusing and stressed out business owners.

About half of states require masks now, and I’m sure that number will grow. Kemp is not someone who will be at the forefront of this but if surrounding states implement it he will jump on the bandwagon.
I agree to an extent. Her executive order has led to far, far more people wearing masks and I see that as something. At some point though, there was a massive breakdown between city-level and state-level leadership and that confusion of who and how to follow and when is evident in her phase 1 recommendation as with other city mayors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta