Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 12:48 AM

17 posts, read 49,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantaboy View Post
"the varsity junior is now closed on Cheshire bridge...." what is happening to my Atlanta every place it seems that i used to visit/eat etc is now gone!( Atlanta seems to have no sense of history) anybody remember the two story/level Kmart at Broadview plaza( this was many years before the two story target in Buckhead) Also i seem to remember a place in Buckhead that was called "Hamburger Hamlet???" they had the biggest burgers and a band played live Dixieland music. I remember see'n a big A frame resturant( like an old I-hop) off of Shallowford rd( if traveling north from Atlanta it would be off on the right on shallowford right across from that dept store G.E.X(sp)) some apartments are there and a publix, does anyone know what restaurant was???

Loved that place! We called it the BAI - the full name was the Bavarian Alpine Inn. It was just a little restaurant that served beer and wine and had a good jukebox. Looked like the old IHOPs inside. It was actually between Shallowford and Clairmont on the access road off I-85 South. They tore it down when they widened I-85 and made the access roads contiguous. There were apartments on both sides of the expressway there - I think they were called something like LeMans I, LeMans II, LeMans III and LeMans IV. Always an outdoor party going on at any one of them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 06:17 AM

45 posts, read 76,955 times
ParkAire Glider School & ParkAire Mall.

For those who were around in the 70's, remember the ParkAire Mall at the corner of Johnson Ferry and Lower Roswell in Cobb just north of Sandy Springs? It was an enclosed mall with an Ice Skating Rink in the center and a two screen theatre. It was a major shopping development project back in the mid 70's.

ParkAire Landing shopping center is there now - some forget that the name comes from the ParkAire airstrip that was orignally built by Lockheed during WWII to test aircraft landings and takeoffs, then the airstrip became a glider school in the 60's and early 70's. The main airstrip ran approximately where Tiajuana Joe's is now east back to where the condos are now behind Kroger.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:24 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkertude View Post
Loved that place! We called it the BAI - the full name was the Bavarian Alpine Inn. It was just a little restaurant that served beer and wine and had a good jukebox. Looked like the old IHOPs inside. It was actually between Shallowford and Clairmont on the access road off I-85 South. They tore it down when they widened I-85 and made the access roads contiguous. There were apartments on both sides of the expressway there - I think they were called something like LeMans I, LeMans II, LeMans III and LeMans IV. Always an outdoor party going on at any one of them!
The BAI that I remember was located on Buford Highway just below where the Club Chaparral and Pancho's are located now, right across the street from Green's. It too was razed for the widening of I-85. It was a big hangout for Briarcliff and Cross Keys HS students and was notorious for serving beer without asking for ID.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:26 AM

3 posts, read 17,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkertude View Post
Before being torn down, the BAI became a "Billy's" and was a great place to meet up with friends before heading out to the disco's. This was also the era of "Apartment Partying". Before the Fair-Housing laws, many apartment complexes were "adult only"; some were iconic for having pool/clubhouse festivities that could rival most bars & clubs. By some standards it was considered more fashionable to live in the better complexes than to own a home in a quiet suburb.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:56 PM

388 posts, read 1,125,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
And how about Peaches?

When I was in high school in the late 70's, the shirt to have was the Peaches baseball sleeve T-shirt(white shirt with 3/4 length blue sleeves and a Peaches logo).

I went to the Thinking Man (bar) in Decatur yesterday. I went to high school right down the street. The Thinking Man used to be Huges Supermarket. We would get J*B rolling papers there for 25 cents a back before school. We also got quarts of beer at lunch for 83 cents across the street at what is now a Citgo. That may explain my grades.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:13 PM

388 posts, read 1,125,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBinATL View Post
We used to go to the Billy's on Ponce/Scott Blvd near North Decatur Rd. They had rotary dial phones in the booths. Those were the days when they still had 2-for-1 happy hours!
I loved the way the girls at Billys wore the nylon hot pants and either a low cut French T-shirt or a low cut sweater.

Billy's had great burgers (The Pat Garret) & chili and an nice late night 2 for one happy hour (midnight to close). The steak cut fries with honey butter were excellent.

The Cadillac seat in the booths were sweet as well.

The Scott location opened up as a Steak N Shake, then it was a Burbon Burger and then a Billys.

The Steak N Shake had car hop service so all the 'heads at Decatur High had a stainless steel car tray from there for rolling purposes. I kept one in the back seat of my '69 Firebird convertible.

Last edited by Ga Jerk; 05-29-2011 at 12:04 AM..

Old 05-30-2011, 08:22 PM

3 posts, read 31,951 times
Default Chain of Atlanta BBQ Restaurants

Old Hickory House. There's still one in Dunwoody. Best Bunswick stew anywhere.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:33 PM

Default Seven Steers

I graduated in 1967 from Sandy Springs High School. One night during that year, some students stole the huge steer from outside of 7-Steers and somehow hoisted it up to the roof of the school. It was absolutely hilarious. The next day, the principal, Cecil Jackson, made an intercom announcement about "high spirits" and "cattle grazing on the roof of the school" To this day I've always wondered who did that.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:44 PM

Default Crossroads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foz View Post
Hope someone can help us remember the name of a seafood restaurant that was located in downtown Atlanta in the 70's (not sure when it actually closed.) We think it was located in the "V" where Spring Street and Peachtree intersected. We ate there when we were first married in 1974, but neither of us can remember the name. Can someone please help? It's driving us CRAZY... Sorry I can't offer more specifics, but this is about all we can remember.
The Crossroads. Awesome seafood.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:21 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Three places I miss downtown are the Pewter (Big) Mug, the Kimball House and the Little Mug. Man, those hamburgers were good. In those days they'd be crawling with businessmen, reporters, politicians and the occasional judge or two. A good place to hear what was going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta