Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2013, 06:00 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsixpack View Post
Yes--but even better in the sixties.

Full Moon Saloon, or Harvest Moon Saloon?

The Stein Club--can't say enough good about it; a unique and fabulous institution. There're some well-written thoughts on it here from a regular: View From the Stein Club
The Harvest Moon Saloon was located at Piedmont and Lindbergh. They had great live music there. Anyone remember the name of the all-girl group that used to perform there? They were a Beatles tribute band.
HMS' 'sister bar' was the Moonshadow Saloon, near the intersection of Johnson and Briarcliff Rds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 10:43 PM

16 posts, read 55,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
The Harvest Moon Saloon was located at Piedmont and Lindbergh. They had great live music there. Anyone remember the name of the all-girl group that used to perform there? They were a Beatles tribute band.
HMS' 'sister bar' was the Moonshadow Saloon, near the intersection of Johnson and Briarcliff Rds.
Right! I missed the all-girl group. But I did see Radar there several times. They played quite a bit of Beatles and were really great. Radar returns from four-decade hiatus | Music Feature | Creative Loafing Atlanta https://www.facebook.com/pages/Radar...43451799120565

Old 12-20-2013, 09:35 PM

16 posts, read 55,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
A great restaurant, one of many great ones that have 'crossed over':

Note to the Hyatt Regency: Please re-open the Polaris!
They heard you!

Architects Promise The Polaris Will Retain Its Retro Cool - Noteworthy Rescues - Curbed Atlanta

Old 12-23-2013, 03:35 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Exactly. Dante made the decision to sell and he made a bundle.
Lordy, I hope I'm that fortunate one day!

Old 12-24-2013, 08:13 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,903,148 times
All eyes on Egypt bookstore on Auburn Ave.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:17 AM

38 posts, read 91,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.MJ View Post
Cub Foods grocery stores, I loved going shopping there with my mom, lol.
Target on Covington Hwy
K-Mart on wesley chapel
I remember how Flat Shoals Pkwy used to be nothing but trees before they built kroger, publix, walgreens, etc.
Peppermint Music stores
LOL - exactly! During the summer of 1981, I attended summer school at Chapel Hill Elementary School. I didn't live that far away (I lived off of Clifton Springs Road at the time), and I do have memories of how undeveloped Flat Shoals Parkway was at the time - particularly the area between Wesley Chapel Rd. and the school. As you said, it was nothing but trees!

I remember how there was a single billboard that sat high on the left side of the parkway - rising above the trees (if you were driving from Wesley Chapel Rd. toward the school, the billboard sat on the left). Actually, I think that billboard is still there - but now there is a lot more development around it - and the parkway itself has been widened in that area.

I remember the "Cindy's" restaurant that sat in front of the shopping plaza at the northwest corner of the intersection of Flat Shoals Parkway and Wesley Chapel Rd.. If anyone remembers - I think Cindy's was somewhat of a knock-off of Wendy's - but there was nothing really "second rate" about the food. I remember the food being really good. I'm not sure exactly when Cindy's folded - perhaps some time in the late '80s? But the building that housed the restaurant is still there (it's something else now).

I also remember everything else on your list except the Peppermint Music Stores (I may have shopped there, I'm just not remembering). I also liked shopping at Cub Foods with my mom - it was somewhat of a Friday night ritual for us, lol.

I miss the K-Marts; at the very least...I miss being able to walk in and order one of those refreshing "ICEE" (?) drinks from their lunch counter section - I believe you could do this right up until the time they started closing the stores.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeJr View Post
The talk about Old Hickory House brings back memories of Columbia Mall - anchored by Sears and Davison's. It's now a new super Walmart. The original Old Hickory House, I believe, was located across the street on Memorial Drive. It was the best - the one still open at Northlake doesn't compare.
Oh, yes - I remember Columbia Mall...before they remodeled it and renamed it Avondale Mall. In addition to the anchor stores, I remember an Eckerd Drugs (I think we would often enter the mall through Eckerd Drugs). Funny how I don't remember too much more than this - except for the store that served as a big clearance area for Davidson's (and later Macy's). My mom would love shopping at this "closeout" store - she's a big bargain hunter - and we often found some nice things for some pleasantly-low prices. Back then, it was a lot easier to find good clothing bargains in Atlanta.

As a kid, I loved the Old Hickory House food; I would pretty much always get a meal of their thick-cut fries, a barbeque sandwich, with a side of Brunswick stew. Yum! There was an Old Hickory House on Candler Road - near the intersection of Kelly Lake Rd.. It became a China Cafeteria in the early/mid-'80s.

Anyone else remember Grandma's Biscuits? Now that restaurant served some nice, down-home food. There was one on Rainbow Drive (near the intersection of Candler Rd.) - in front of the Kroger shopping plaza (Rainbow Village). There was also one on Hill Street (close to downtown), IIRC - at I-20.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:24 AM

Speaking of Columbia Mall, I have fond memories of shopping at the free-standing Rich's that was located across the street (the southwest corner of the Columbia Dr./Memorial Dr. intersection). That Rich's may have closed some time in the mid-'80s, I believe - and was eventually torn down completely. The location is now the parking lot of the Belevdere Shopping Plaza (where Kroger is).

I also have fond memories of shopping at the nearby Lionel Playworld.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg_gyrl View Post
Hey, where were all of you the night the refineries in Doraville were on fire? I was very close to Memorial Drive at 285 with my father, you could see the flames clerly from the East Ponce Bridge at !-285.....
Tastee-Freeze?
Rio Vista?
Eng's Gourmet?
Dante's?
Mazzio's Pizza?
North DeKalb Mall opening?
Plantation Skating Rink
Rainbow Skating Rink
Fernbank Nature Walk?
The primary skating rink of my childhood was Golden Glide (one of the few old treasures that still exists) - but I remember once riding out to Rainbow Skating Rink...and thinking that it was far out in the "boonies"! Now, I live very close to where it used to be. Who would have ever thought back then...

Unlike Golden Glide, which had those polished hardwood skating surfaces - Rainbow's skating rink consisted of concrete, IIRC. LOL - I remember that from the one time I skated there as a child.

Actually, my brother knows much more about Rainbow Skating Rink - we moved out here when he was plenty young enough to want to "hang out" there on Friday nights. He seems to have such pleasant memories of it. IIRC, it was a nice, "mom and pop"-operated rink.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffan269 View Post
Misty Waters Was On Candler Rd. They Had A Small Beach , And Also A Chlorine Pool..I Remember Live Bands Also.Clifton Springs Was On Clifton Sprngs. Rd. They Had A Choo Choo Train That Circled The Park. They Had A Beach, Nice Spring Water, And A Golf Course. They Had A Nice Diving Dock With A High Dive Board As Well. They Never Intergrated, And Wound Up Closing Around 1969 . They Simply Would Not Allow Blacks To Swim There. I Really Enjoyed Going There As A Child.
I think part of the Clifton Springs establishment may have been converted to a subdivision where I lived in the '70s and '80s. The golf course portion of the park remained in existence (and operational) until at least the late '80s, IIRC. Some of my neighbors could look out of their windows and see this golf course. We couldn't see the golf course from our own house - but just last week, my brother "confessed" that he and a neighbor once snuck out behind our house - trekked through a small "woodsy" area....and ended up on the golf course.

My mom has said that when they first moved into that home - they could see a remnant of the resort out back....just beyond our back yard, there was some type of "wall" or structure that was painted in a way that indicated that it was part of a "swimming area", or a pool.

Anyway - it's interesting to hear about the reason the street was named "Clifton Springs Road" - and it's interesting (and ironic) to hear that segregation was enforced in that area just a few years before my parents moved practically ON the property.

As for Misty Waters - I know that by the late '70s, it was converted into an apartment complex - also named "Misty Waters". The complex - which is still there - seems to be located in a "valley" - it is situated at a slightly lower elevation than the nearby Candler Rd.. Driving through the complex recently, I couldn't detect any old "evidence" that the area was once such a resort.

As for the Clifton Springs resort - they may have refilled what was once one of the swimming areas...from looking at satellite images, it is now a pond that sits out in back of a "mega-church" that is now on the property. I think that "pool" sat completely drained of water for a number of years (the only reason I know this is from recently looking at old satellite images - I don't remember seeing it from our house, or seeing it in back of the golf course).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta