Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2015, 02:37 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
I haven't read the whole conversation, but I don't know what the heck you are talking about. Atlanta is still the black mecca. Just because many black people in metro Atlanta are wealthy, living in more integrated suburban communities, doesn't mean it isn't still a black mecca.

In Smyrna, I had multiple black neighbors driving his and her Mercedes living in 4,000 sq foot homes.

I think the main difference between now and 20 years ago is that instead of there being black areas and white areas, a good 1/4 of the metro area (if not more) is very integrated. That goes for areas inside of the City of Atlanta and outside the City of Atlanta.
Do they own the Mercedes or the house? Purchasing items on credit does not equal a Mecca. I'm in the Bankruptcy industry and filings of chapter 7 and 13 bankruptcies among Atlanta's blacks population are too high in comparison with other ethnic groups. You simply are pretending by utilizing credit instead of purchasing with cash. When you have the ability to own and purchase with cash that equals a Mecca. Heck just listen to all the bankruptcy commercials on all the popular black radio stations in Atlanta. Especially debt stoppers. Also those who own and run Atlanta for real probably reside in Buckhead and I guarantee they have neither a house or car note.

Last edited by Atlwarrior; 08-24-2015 at 02:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 08:49 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
When you have the ability to own and purchase with cash that equals a Mecca.
No. A mecca is simply a place that attracts people of a particular group or with a particular interest. People read way too much into that title for whatever reason.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:58 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
I find it curious that this thread has bumped back to life & continued with so much posting activity. It was originally created by a very young person who mistook the shrinkage of the black population within the city limits of the City of Atlanta to mean that the area was in danger of losing it's reknown as a (the) black mecca. It's a commonly made mistake as many people mistake city proper data for metro data & vice versa for all manner of subjects.
I felt that a couple of the original replies clarified & corrected the op's fundamental misunderstanding/misinterpretation of the facts.
So, given that the original comment was basically based upon a false premise, I'm not sure why the thread has been bumped back to life & continued for 66 pages to this point.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:32 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I find it curious that this thread has bumped back to life & continued with so much posting activity. It was originally created by a very young person who mistook the shrinkage of the black population within the city limits of the City of Atlanta to mean that the area was in danger of losing it's reknown as a (the) black mecca. It's a commonly made mistake as many people mistake city proper data for metro data & vice versa for all manner of subjects.
I felt that a couple of the original replies clarified & corrected the op's fundamental misunderstanding/misinterpretation of the facts.
So, given that the original comment was basically based upon a false premise, I'm not sure why the thread has been bumped back to life & continued for 66 pages to this point.
Well, it's only continued one page since somebody resurrected it, but since City Data basically invites people to post in abandoned threads, I'm not sure we should be surprised.

It's interesting though, the original poster mentioned that he'd be graduating in 2015. I wonder what he decided. As Atlanta's recovered from the down economy it was experiencing when this thread started, the population has grown considerably. While black people may account for a smaller percentage of the city's population than they once did, I don't think it's lost the distinction of "Black Mecca."

Old 08-24-2015, 12:02 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No. A mecca is simply a place that attracts people of a particular group or with a particular interest. People read way too much into that title for whatever reason.
Agreed.

And people...like others have similarly mentioned before, Atlanta will always be the Black "Mecca" (or whatever) since it is the capital and primate city of the ancestral homeland of Indigenous Black Americans: The American South.

Last edited by aries4118; 08-24-2015 at 12:38 PM..

Old 08-24-2015, 03:41 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Some folks really really want it to be the black mecca, then you drive down Martin Luther King.....and it looks like a war zone. More minorities in positions of POWER please & thank ya kindly.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:15 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Some folks really really want it to be the black mecca, then you drive down Martin Luther King.....and it looks like a war zone. More minorities in positions of POWER please & thank ya kindly.
Atlanta has had this for a long time now. Run-down areas are just a fact of city life for the most part, no matter who's at the helm of leadership. You still can't escape policies enacted on the federal and state levels that have shaped American city life over the past half-century.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
I agree with you on the second part, but as to the first, good news:

SaportaReport | Atlanta advances plan to retool MLK into complete street, with sidewalk, bike lane, linear park

Old 08-30-2015, 09:16 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
When will Atlanta become the Mexican mecca of the South!? Give us more mexicans please.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
When will Atlanta become the Mexican mecca of the South!? Give us more mexicans please.
We already are! Isn't Atlanta's diversity awesome? Mexican Immigrants in the United States | migrationpolicy.org

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta