Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 01:21 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,842,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
That doesn't mean it doesn't exist just because you don't live there! I live in Charlotte's oldest streetcar suburb and rarely have a need to visit the suburban hinterlands, but I know they're there and we've got a lot of them.

... I never said it doesnt exist I said I doesnt really concern me because I dont live in it. So you telling me how Atlanta sprawls is really mute for me. NEXT topic!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I'm curious, and this is a serious question: why are Atlantans and Charlotteans, at least on this site, constantly trying to figure which of Atlanta and Charlotte is bigger, best, etc.? THIS IS NOT A CRITICISM - so please don't offense! Merely a question, because, perhaps I ain't too smart, but don't understand the rivalrly. Seems to me that both cities are unique and beautiful (and, yes, have problems) in their own ways.

Because Charlotte is thriving to be in the status of where Atlanta is so everytime they get something new added to the city they feel they can compete or they feel they need to get some kinda approval.. As of right now Charlotte is in the shadows of Atlanta and will be 2nd to us... Both have there mess and there strong points Atlanta just has more of both. You will never see posters from Nashville doing this...

Why do we need to feel a certain way about Charlotte?

Old 09-16-2010, 01:37 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,688,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
What's really interesting is that all the outlying cities aren't really real cities to anyone to be proud of, because they are all called "suburbs". It's as if everybody here KNOWS they don't live in a real community and so are somehow ashamed to say where they live, and so they just say "I live in Atlanta".

But I think that explains why the suburbs decay. Nobody cares.
Strange comment. I spent a lot of life living in a town on LI. When Asked I never mention the town - just LI.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:45 PM

265 posts, read 330,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I'm curious, and this is a serious question: why are Atlantans and Charlotteans, at least on this site, constantly trying to figure which of Atlanta and Charlotte is bigger, best, etc.? THIS IS NOT A CRITICISM - so please don't offense! Merely a question, because, perhaps I ain't too smart, but don't understand the rivalrly. Seems to me that both cities are unique and beautiful (and, yes, have problems) in their own ways.
It's natural; these are the two largest, fastest-growing cities in the Southern Piedmont, are relatively close to each other, and their growth and development patterns mirror each other in many ways. Most of the superficial comparisons seem to come from younger people though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
... I never said it doesnt exist I said I doesnt really concern me because I dont live in it. So you telling me how Atlanta sprawls is really mute for me. NEXT topic!!!
You brought it up when you stated, "Yes Atlanta got it bad when it comes to sprawl." All I was doing was essentially agreeing that both Charlotte and Atlanta have bad sprawl issues, but Atlanta naturally has more since it's a larger city. I'm not exactly sure why you seem to be getting so uptight over that fact. It's not like I was degrading Atlanta by agreeing with your statement.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:32 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,048,542 times
HEy MIKEandIKE27 check out the Charlotte Forum and see how much we Charlotteans strive oh so much to be Atlanta!!!!

Old 09-16-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
It's natural; these are the two largest, fastest-growing cities in the Southern Piedmont, are relatively close to each other, and their growth and development patterns mirror each other in many ways. Most of the superficial comparisons seem to come from younger people though.

You brought it up when you stated, "Yes Atlanta got it bad when it comes to sprawl." All I was doing was essentially agreeing that both Charlotte and Atlanta have bad sprawl issues, but Atlanta naturally has more since it's a larger city. I'm not exactly sure why you seem to be getting so uptight over that fact. It's not like I was degrading Atlanta by agreeing with your statement.

Sorry That you think Im getting uptight with my statement I guess thats how you percieved it but Im not.And we both have been agreeing with each other back and forth so there is no uptightness

Old 09-16-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
HEy MIKEandIKE27 check out the Charlotte Forum and see how much we Charlotteans strive oh so much to be Atlanta!!!!

Who said Charlotte was thriving to be like Atlanta? Do you know all the things Charlotte would have to accomplish or do what Atlanta has done to be like Atlanta? I said , Charlotte wants Atlanta status. Yes Charlotte wants to be #1 in the region. Being that you live in Charlotte why would you make this thread... Evidentally your concern and want some kinda approval from Atlantas posters...

These are your words:
there are a lot of comparisons everywhere it seems not just this website between Atlanta and Charlotte. I just wanted to see how you guys in ATl really feel about my hometown..

Then we tell you how we feel and then here comes the mess. Do you see posters from Atlanta creating threads in Charlotte forum asking how do Charlotte really feel about Atlanta.. Alot of the Charlotte posters pile up on the Atlanta forum on a daily. The same cant be said for Atlanta posters in Charlotte room so who is more concerned about what city???

Old 09-16-2010, 07:05 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,941,307 times
1) Most of today's comments confirm that I'm wasting my time here.

2) Atlanta never even thinks about Charlotte at all, period.

3) Charlotte's only mission is to become a big city and cites Atlanta(specifically Atlanta's congestion problems) almost daily as what it doesn't want to become, which is partially bullcrap. Comparisons are unavoidable, and any denial of this is classic passive-aggressive behavior, if I not mistaken.

4) City limit populations, metro areas, CSAs, urban regions, etc. use such varying criteria that the numbers and rankings of city populations don't mean very much these days.

Example:
1) Charlotte's city limit population bigger than Atlanta's
2) Atlanta MSA, CSA populations 2-3 larger than Charlotte's
3) But, Charlotte lies at the center of the 6th largest "Urban Region" in the country. Almost 7 million people live within a 100 mile radius of Charlotte. (Columbia, SC, Asheville, and NC's Triad areas are within this radius).

The "Urban Region" is defined as a circular 100 mile radius, without exception. So I think parts of the Bay Area and definitely South Florida wouldn't be counted in these rankings:

1)NY
2)LA
3)Chicago
4)Philly
5)D.C.
6)Charlotte

I may be wrong about counting both Philly and D.C., and Charlotte might actually rank 5th largest. I can't remember. The "Urban Region" metric is mostly used for marketing and industry recruitment I believe. It's no surprise though, because the I-85 corridor from Atlanta to Petersburg, VA is one of the most populous and economically vital in the country.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:54 PM

Plug needs to be pulled on this thread..

Old 09-16-2010, 10:16 PM

625 posts, read 1,149,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
1) Most of today's comments confirm that I'm wasting my time here.
If you're an architect like your title says, then your time isn't very valuable anyways. And if you're from Raleigh, you probably could care less about Charlotte, because you THINK just because it's made a couple top 10 lists that it's a great place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta