Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 12:03 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,004,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
City limit populations, metro areas, CSAs, urban regions, etc. use such varying criteria that the numbers and rankings of city populations don't mean very much these days.

Example:
1) Charlotte's city limit population bigger than Atlanta's
2) Atlanta MSA, CSA populations 2-3 larger than Charlotte's
3) But, Charlotte lies at the center of the 6th largest "Urban Region" in the country. Almost 7 million people live within a 100 mile radius of Charlotte. (Columbia, SC, Asheville, and NC's Triad areas are within this radius).

The "Urban Region" is defined as a circular 100 mile radius, without exception. So I think parts of the Bay Area and definitely South Florida wouldn't be counted in these rankings:

1)NY
2)LA
3)Chicago
4)Philly
5)D.C.
6)Charlotte

I may be wrong about counting both Philly and D.C., and Charlotte might actually rank 5th largest. I can't remember. The "Urban Region" metric is mostly used for marketing and industry recruitment I believe. It's no surprise though, because the I-85 corridor from Atlanta to Petersburg, VA is one of the most populous and economically vital in the country.
Why in the world is this always brought up as some sort of bonus for Charlotte?

First off, what is a "urban region"?

Second, a 100 mile radius is a HUGE area. 31,400 square miles to be exact. That's almost as big as the entire state of South Carolina and a little over 2/3 as big as North Carolina. It's a rather irrelevant fact to know how many people live within a 100 mile radius of Charlotte. It's kinda like saying that 4.5 million people live with in a 100 mile radius of Columbia, SC.

Also, seeing as how the Atlanta CSA is nearly at 6 million people in 8,376 square miles (about a 50 mile radius), I would imagine it would far surpass Charlotte at the 100 mile radius measure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 10:22 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,688,945 times
Quote:
1) Most of today's comments confirm that I'm wasting my time here.

2) Atlanta never even thinks about Charlotte at all, period.

3) Charlotte's only mission is to become a big city and cites Atlanta(specifically Atlanta's congestion problems) almost daily as what it doesn't want to become, which is partially bullcrap. Comparisons are unavoidable, and any denial of this is classic passive-aggressive behavior, if I not mistaken.

4) City limit populations, metro areas, CSAs, urban regions, etc. use such varying criteria that the numbers and rankings of city populations don't mean very much these days.

Example:
1) Charlotte's city limit population bigger than Atlanta's
2) Atlanta MSA, CSA populations 2-3 larger than Charlotte's
3) But, Charlotte lies at the center of the 6th largest "Urban Region" in the country. Almost 7 million people live within a 100 mile radius of Charlotte. (Columbia, SC, Asheville, and NC's Triad areas are within this radius).

The "Urban Region" is defined as a circular 100 mile radius, without exception. So I think parts of the Bay Area and definitely South Florida wouldn't be counted in these rankings:

1)NY
2)LA
3)Chicago
4)Philly
5)D.C.
6)Charlotte

I may be wrong about counting both Philly and D.C., and Charlotte might actually rank 5th largest. I can't remember. The "Urban Region" metric is mostly used for marketing and industry recruitment I believe. It's no surprise though, because the I-85 corridor from Atlanta to Petersburg, VA is one of the most populous and economically vital in the country.
Very silly post. Anyone who has been to Charlotte knows that 10 - 20 miles from Charlotte is Hicktown USA (i.e. Gastonia). The population of the State of NC is 9 million. Asheville is more than 100 miles from Charlotte.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:27 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,842,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
Very silly post. Anyone who has been to Charlotte knows that 10 - 20 miles from Charlotte is Hicktown USA (i.e. Gastonia). The population of the State of NC is 9 million. Asheville is more than 100 miles from Charlotte.
I know right Such a waste of time

Old 09-17-2010, 10:47 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,048,542 times
The amazing thing is that when actual legitimate statistics and numbers are shown that put Charlotte ahead of Atlanta in certain categories the ATL posters knock it down like its nothing.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
The amazing thing is that when actual legitimate statistics and numbers are shown that put Charlotte ahead of Atlanta in certain categories the ATL posters knock it down like its nothing.
Because it is nothing when it comes to population. There is no grey area in that matter. Saying 7 million people live within 100 miles of Charlotte while true (though I am dubious to that number since the only place I have ever seen it is on C-D) is essentially useless. X amount of people don't live within 100 miles of Charlotte because of Charlotte. The same thing is true for every city in the country.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:44 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,974,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
You ain't never lied about Gastonia! If we could get rid of that God-forsaken place, then maybe the rest of the metro region can make progress!

Old 09-17-2010, 11:50 AM

[quote=qc dreamin;15923476]The amazing thing is that when actual legitimate statistics and numbers are shown that put Charlotte ahead of Atlanta in certain categories the ATL posters knock it down like its nothing.[/qu

:c rying: lol

Old 09-17-2010, 12:03 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,941,307 times
The Urban Region statistic doesn't really have much to do with Charlotte. I said before, "Charlotte lies at the center," and speaks more about the piedmont of the Carolinas, quite heavily populated.

As I said earlier, draw an outline around the 28-35 counties used to get Atanta's 5-6 million people, and transpose that same outline on central North Carolina, and then compare the numbers.

Yes, small town North Carolina is hicksville, but Georgia is also, including much of metro Atanta- Forsyth, Rockdale, Kennesaw, whew!

Old 09-17-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
The Urban Region statistic doesn't really have much to do with Charlotte. I said before, "Charlotte lies at the center," and speaks more about the piedmont of the Carolinas, quite heavily populated.

As I said earlier, draw an outline around the 28-35 counties used to get Atanta's 5-6 million people, and transpose that same outline on central North Carolina, and then compare the numbers.

Yes, small town North Carolina is hicksville, but Georgia is also, including much of metro Atanta- Forsyth, Rockdale, Kennesaw, whew!

GA counties are alot smaller than NC counties.. So that method wont work..

Like it was said before those 28 counties equals this

Also, seeing as how the Atlanta CSA is nearly at 6 million people in 8,376 square miles

Besides More than 1 million people live inside Fulton county now which is almost where Charlottes MSA is

Last edited by MikeandIke27; 09-17-2010 at 12:44 PM..

Old 09-17-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:

Well again, that's not saying much.

First, you are exaggerating the metro county count. There are only 28 counties in the whole CSA. With all 28 there are 5.9 million. When you get down to the 10 core counties you are still at 5.5 million. When you get down to the core 5 counties (Fulton, Dekalb, Gwinnett, Cobb, and Clayton) you are still at over 4 million and just a hair under 5 million. See a pattern here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta