Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 12:08 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,803,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Why is this still going on this same thing is going on in another thread. Just back and forth back and forth.. Tell that child to write some kinda proposal to the GDOT are better see if they can employee him or her, because they have all the answer..
HAHAHA!!That cracked me up!But you are right since he so concerned.LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 01:31 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,842,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
Here in Charlotte, we have several large-scale festival events, and then there's a smattering of smaller events also. Being that you only lived here for six months, it's very likely that you didn't get a chance to attend all of the large-scale events which happen throughout the year, like: the Greek festival (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/09/09/1678992/2010-yiasou-greek-festival.html - broken link) (absolutely PACKED), Taste of Charlotte (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bz3rk/sets/72157619359163331/ - broken link), CIAA (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/02/27/1278763/ciaa-finals.html - broken link), Speed Street, Blues, Brews, & BBQ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bz3rk/sets/72157607292640455/ - broken link), the New Years Eve celebration, and, of course, Oktoberfest as you mentioned. The smaller events include a lot of ethnic events like the Festival of India (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bz3rk/sets/72157607168269870/ - broken link), the Irish Festival (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bz3rk/sets/72157606673755130/ - broken link), the Caribbean Festival (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bz3rk/sets/72157606411558653/ - broken link), etc. Personally, I like this set-up a lot. I wouldn't like having huge festivals here every other week. It's great that they are spaced out throughout the year, with the smaller events in between. That also ensures that our local police department isn't overburdened with policing a lot of large-scale events within such a short period of time.

CIAA weekend is definitely one of the best times to be in the city, but Speed Street, if I'm not mistaken, is our largest annual event. I think it's great that we have two large-scale events like this that cater to different demographics so to speak.

On top of all of this, you have Panthers game, Bobcats games, art gallery crawls, bar crawls, performing arts, concerts, and more. Between all of this, my wife and I can always find something to do. Next week we'll be attending Festival in the Park, another one of our annual events.

I'll be the first to admit that we're no Austin or New Orleans, and I actually like that. We're not really a city where someone graduates and comes to play for 10 years before moving on. We're a city where people like to come and put down some roots. I like the fact that our number one focus is on quality of life, and then the big events and the vibe and energy naturally follow. We are definitely on the high end of domestic migration, but we really aren't a transient city in the classic sense of the word.

Yeah I have been for CIAA weekend thats was great... I guess thats the one thing I like about Atl it Attracts huge events sometimes 3 or 4 events at one time. Like Labor day wekkend was Black gay pride where there were performances from Nicki Minaj Jazmine sullivan Lil kim, faith evans Kelly rowland etc. Then the big dragon con convention, Then the LSU and UNC game, and GA tech opening season game.. The City was packed that weekend There is always something going on in Atl Hip Hop awards is coming up next month thats another large party weekend. Charlotte seems to be coming around as Atlanta did in the 80s its going to be very similar with a different layout

Old 09-15-2010, 02:27 PM

265 posts, read 330,342 times
Quote:
Yeah I have been for CIAA weekend thats was great... I guess thats the one thing I like about Atl it Attracts huge events sometimes 3 or 4 events at one time. Like Labor day wekkend was Black gay pride where there were performances from Nicki Minaj Jazmine sullivan Lil kim, faith evans Kelly rowland etc. Then the big dragon con convention, Then the LSU and UNC game, and GA tech opening season game.. The City was packed that weekend There is always something going on in Atl Hip Hop awards is coming up next month thats another large party weekend. Charlotte seems to be coming around as Atlanta did in the 80s its going to be very similar with a different layout
Personally, I would not like having a lot of large-scale events happening at one time, particularly if they are all centered in uptown since I live just outside of uptown Charlotte. Furthermore, Charlotte isn't large enough to handle all of those things at once. I'm perfectly content with us having one fairly large event roughly every 2-3 months. If we were to ever get to the point where several were happening at once, I suppose my wife and I could simply take a weekend getaway around that time.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:03 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,941,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
Georgia is not repainting any the lanes to make room for managed lanes. Where there are currently no HOV lanes, they will all be built new alongside or in the median of the highway. The existing HOV lanes will be turned into HOT/managed lanes, and in the future in some areas, they will also convert a general purpose lane to create two HOT/managed lanes in each direction in areas where widening is cost prohibitive (for example, the Downtown Connector and I-85 in Gwinnett between 285 and 316). The new 75/575 reversible managed lanes will be built for the most part alongside and in the median of the highway, so it will basically be a new road with a toll. It will not be the original 23 lanes. There is a whole plan you can see for yourself... I'm not going to sit here and explain each project to you when you can look it up online just like I did.

Managed Lanes Plan

1. Go here: Presentations
2. Download the files, especially the Managed Lane System Plan

I-75/575 New Plan

1. West by Northwest (http://www.dot.state.ga.us/informationcenter/p3/projects/WbyNW/Pages/default.aspx - broken link)
2. NWCP Homepage

I-85 HOT/Managed Lanes

1. Congestion Reduction Demonstration

I-285 Between 75 and 85

1. Go here to view the alternatives that have advanced to the next stage:
revive285 top end | Corridor Alternatives Advanced (http://www.revive285.com/corridoralternativesadvanced.asp - broken link)

Yes, I agree that the Northern Metro area needs better East-West connections, but if any new road is built to bypass traffic, it should be a toll road.
Good, I'm glad that some of the planned managed lanes will be barrier separated on new added capacity lanes. I-85 was originally 5 spacious lanes each way, and they repainted 6 skinnier lanes to accommodate HOV. Several inner lanes on I-85 are only 11' wide, below the standard 12' for interstates, which put an end to enjoying what was originally the most perfect, quintessential interstate ever built in the U.S.. From 1990-1995 I-85 was fabulous with 5 luxurious, wide lanes each way. Then skinnier lanes, HOV and narrow-font highway signage ruined the experience.

Restricting use of two existing lanes each way through downtown ain't gonna work. All lanes in use today cannot handle the sheer volume of traffic at 11pm at night! Two lanes each direction becoming restricted will have traffic backed up for 60 miles, aiin't gonna happen.

I still say that managing lanes on a combination of new/existing highways is a half-ass approach to the region's long term mobility. Continued growth is almost certain, so will managing lanes across the area accommodate 7 million metro residents in 15 years? I doubt it.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:42 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,941,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
Is that the point of being a hub? You have no choice but to go through there to get anywhere else. And also Atlanta is the areas only "city", where as Dallas has Ft. Worth
So why do we need numerous options to get around Atlanta when that is mostly everyones destination. Unlike Charlotte people actually choice to drive and vacation in Atlanta
What is the point of idiotic statements like this? If 28 counties are included in the metro area, with 5-6 million residents across these counties, should Cherokee residents travelling over to Gwinnett or Forsyth counties happily accept driving down to Atlanta, the hub, just to "change planes" and "catch" another highway headed back northward again?

Metro Atlanta needs more highway options to travel "as the crow flies" between suburbs, exurbs, and counties. This forum is definitely serving as a "Hub" for lonely folks contesting every last opinion or fact even before reading them. This has been an epic waste of my time....

Old 09-15-2010, 04:02 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,842,560 times
Quote:
Personally, I would not like having a lot of large-scale events happening at one time, particularly if they are all centered in uptown since I live just outside of uptown Charlotte. Furthermore, Charlotte isn't large enough to handle all of those things at once. I'm perfectly content with us having one fairly large event roughly every 2-3 months. If we were to ever get to the point where several were happening at once, I suppose my wife and I could simply take a weekend getaway around that time.

Yeah see that would work for you.. I like having many options on the weekends makes the weekend more festive. But if your content with that then hey i cant argue with that. It all boils down as too what you want out of a city..

Old 09-15-2010, 04:18 PM

969 posts, read 1,959,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Good, I'm glad that some of the planned managed lanes will be barrier separated on new added capacity lanes. I-85 was originally 5 spacious lanes each way, and they repainted 6 skinnier lanes to accommodate HOV. Several inner lanes on I-85 are only 11' wide, below the standard 12' for interstates, which put an end to enjoying what was originally the most perfect, quintessential interstate ever built in the U.S.. From 1990-1995 I-85 was fabulous with 5 luxurious, wide lanes each way. Then skinnier lanes, HOV and narrow-font highway signage ruined the experience.

Restricting use of two existing lanes each way through downtown ain't gonna work. All lanes in use today cannot handle the sheer volume of traffic at 11pm at night! Two lanes each direction becoming restricted will have traffic backed up for 60 miles, aiin't gonna happen.

I still say that managing lanes on a combination of new/existing highways is a half-ass approach to the region's long term mobility. Continued growth is almost certain, so will managing lanes across the area accommodate 7 million metro residents in 15 years? I doubt it.
The Downtown Connector cannot physically be widened anymore. They would only be taking away ONE general purpose lane, not two. They would convert the HOV and take ONE regular lane away to make 2 HOT lanes each way. The answer isn't always widening the road to oblivion - the Downtown Connector nor does any road in the Atlanta metro need to be wider in terms of general purpose lanes. We have enough and it doesn't work... We definitely need more transit options in addition to toll roads and managed lanes. "Free" roads are becoming a thing of the past.

A good thing about the managed lanes is that the Express buses can actually be express which may help to increase the ridership.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Yeah see that would work for you.. I like having many options on the weekends makes the weekend more festive. But if your content with that then hey i cant argue with that. It all boils down as too what you want out of a city..
Well let's not act like there are 3-4 mega events every weekend in Atlanta because it's not. It's just that Atlanta's large-scale events are on an even larger scale than Charlotte's. The couple of times we'd have a festival or an annual event with thousands in attendance, Atlanta would have a few festivals/events with thousands more.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:17 PM

969 posts, read 1,959,883 times
Quote:
Well let's not act like there are 3-4 mega events every weekend in Atlanta because it's not. It's just that Atlanta's large-scale events are on an even larger scale than Charlotte's. The couple of times we'd have a festival or an annual event with thousands in attendance, Atlanta would have a few festivals/events with thousands more.
Well, I'm from Charlotte and my girlfriend and I decided to move to Atlanta. We personally love Atlanta much more than Charlotte. Charlotte is very nice, it's great for families, but it's too sterile and too "stepford wives" for our tastes. Atlanta is still nice, but we like the grittiness and the "realness" here. There are many more and much larger "alternative" areas here, many more creative types, and when you are in the city here you feel like you are in the city where as Charlotte feels like a giant suburb with cookie cutter houses except for Uptown and the few small older neighborhoods close to it. Having both grown up in Charlotte, if we get married and have kids, we would much rather raise our children in the Atlanta area than Charlotte.

My biggest complaint with Charlotte is the people that inhabit it and I'm not going to go into it because I don't want to start an argument. If you're a "big city/metro" person, I wouldn't recommend Charlotte. So while nice, it's just not my kind of place and it's not for everyone.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
Well, I'm from Charlotte and my girlfriend and I decided to move to Atlanta. We personally love Atlanta much more than Charlotte. Charlotte is very nice, it's great for families, but it's too sterile and too "stepford wives" for our tastes. Atlanta is still nice, but we like the grittiness and the "realness" here. There are many more and much larger "alternative" areas here, many more creative types, and when you are in the city here you feel like you are in the city where as Charlotte feels like a giant suburb with cookie cutter houses except for Uptown and the few small older neighborhoods close to it. Having both grown up in Charlotte, if we get married and have kids, we would much rather raise our children in the Atlanta area than Charlotte.

My biggest complaint with Charlotte is the people that inhabit it and I'm not going to go into it because I don't want to start an argument. If you're a "big city/metro" person, I wouldn't recommend Charlotte. So while nice, it's just not my kind of place and it's not for everyone.
I'm not sure what any of that had to do with my comment that you quoted, but your input is appreciated. It simply goes back to every city not being for everyone. Everyone's perception of a city is different because people's personalities are different. However, I don't really get the "giant suburb with cookie cutter houses" argument coming from those who also live in sprawling Sunbelt cities outside of the truly dense, old world cities like New Orleans, Charleston, and Savannah. I think that both Atlanta and Charlotte are in the same boat as far as that goes, proportionally speaking. It's the same thing that people from peer cities like Philadelphia and Boston say about Atlanta, and I can't say that it isn't without a little bit of merit. This isn't a knock on Atlanta as I do like the city, but I'd rather have suburban cookie cutter houses than the "hoods" and rough areas that Atlanta has. Charlotte has nothing like those, not even in our so-called bad areas but I suppose that could simply be a function of size. I don't know what Atlanta's closest Sunbelt counterparts, particularly Dallas and Houston, have when it comes to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta