Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 02:04 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,941,307 times

Advertisements

I will use NC's attributes to compare shortcomings of Georgia or anywhere else all i want. For the 5-6 million metro residents, the existing highways are most likely underserving motorists when broken down into lane-miles per capita, falling below national averages. Orange County, CA built an entirely separate network of toll roads to relieve existing interstates and guarantee mobility (for a price). Georgia should absolutely do this.

After five lanes across, additional lanes become much less effective since all lanes react to a single incident, and squeezing in a "new" managed lane by repainting 6 skinnier ones, is not providing adequate mobility for a prosperous future. Atlanta's current congestion has significantly slowed business relocation in the last 10 years, and I don't have much faith in proposed 23 lane solutions for I-75, I-285. An alternate for the 75/85 Downtown Connector must be built immediately, because the entire state's economic livelihood is now being funneled through this choke point downtown for no reason. My suggestion is that they double deck this section since they already have the right of way. A 15 mile long tunnel running under east Atlanta is ridiculous, and this far-fetched proposal illustrates the consequences of not building/planning for the future. If 6 million people live in north Georgia, there should be more than one route to traverse the region's population clusters. Currently all of North Georgia is forced through Atlanta's I-285 to get anywhere, which is again, poor planning. Look at how many interstates and choices Dallas and Houston areas have. Atlanta's freeways, big or not, cannot adequately link together the many concentric suburb towns. Metro counties shouldn't be forced through Atlanta to get anywhere else.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 02:49 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,941,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Look if you wanna be ignorant then fine.But how about some data to back up your so called claims?

City Government is hardly "barely functioning".City is going through budget crunches much like most major cities.Nothing new.Not excusable,but nothing new.

Infrastructure / Crumbling Sewers?"The city has spent $4.1 billion on a project to overhaul its system" is hardly falling apart.Especially when the projects like the Beltline,Peachtree Corridor,and Multi-modal (5points) station or in different stages of development.
Multimodal gets Moving - Atlanta Business Chronicle

No cooperation between counties?What is ARC? Apparently you dont know.LOOK IT UP.What do you think the Beltline came fro or is about

Had you looked at the stats you would see that overall urban cogestion is considerably LOWER in Georgia than North Carolina.

Stop making yourself look bad please.
The federal gov't. had to fine the city of Atlanta every single day for about a year before the crumbling sewer system was addressed.

The water meter replacements installed wrong across Buckhead are resulting in $600-1000 monthly water bills, and city has moratorium on new investigations, meaning customers either pay $800 bills or water is shut off.

The Beltline, and ARC resulted from private citizens/businesses being fed up with lack of planning. No Georgia government agency can be credited for these good initiatives.

Cobb and Gwinnett won't allow MARTA into their counties. Public transit not coordinated between counties, nor is traffic managed between counties.

You can bet private parties are behind any successful events benefitting the region, when the state should be improving life in general across the metro

Old 09-15-2010, 05:21 AM

644 posts, read 1,431,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I will use NC's attributes to compare shortcomings of Georgia or anywhere else all i want. For the 5-6 million metro residents, the existing highways are most likely underserving motorists when broken down into lane-miles per capita, falling below national averages. Orange County, CA built an entirely separate network of toll roads to relieve existing interstates and guarantee mobility (for a price). Georgia should absolutely do this.

After five lanes across, additional lanes become much less effective since all lanes react to a single incident, and squeezing in a "new" managed lane by repainting 6 skinnier ones, is not providing adequate mobility for a prosperous future. Atlanta's current congestion has significantly slowed business relocation in the last 10 years, and I don't have much faith in proposed 23 lane solutions for I-75, I-285. An alternate for the 75/85 Downtown Connector must be built immediately, because the entire state's economic livelihood is now being funneled through this choke point downtown for no reason. My suggestion is that they double deck this section since they already have the right of way. A 15 mile long tunnel running under east Atlanta is ridiculous, and this far-fetched proposal illustrates the consequences of not building/planning for the future. If 6 million people live in north Georgia, there should be more than one route to traverse the region's population clusters. Currently all of North Georgia is forced through Atlanta's I-285 to get anywhere, which is again, poor planning. Look at how many interstates and choices Dallas and Houston areas have. Atlanta's freeways, big or not, cannot adequately link together the many concentric suburb towns. Metro counties shouldn't be forced through Atlanta to get anywhere else.
Is that the point of being a hub? You have no choice but to go through there to get anywhere else. And also Atlanta is the areas only "city", where as Dallas has Ft. Worth
So why do we need numerous options to get around Atlanta when that is mostly everyones destination. Unlike Charlotte people actually choice to drive and vacation in Atlanta

Old 09-15-2010, 06:50 AM

969 posts, read 1,959,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post

Georgia is not repainting any the lanes to make room for managed lanes. Where there are currently no HOV lanes, they will all be built new alongside or in the median of the highway. The existing HOV lanes will be turned into HOT/managed lanes, and in the future in some areas, they will also convert a general purpose lane to create two HOT/managed lanes in each direction in areas where widening is cost prohibitive (for example, the Downtown Connector and I-85 in Gwinnett between 285 and 316). The new 75/575 reversible managed lanes will be built for the most part alongside and in the median of the highway, so it will basically be a new road with a toll. It will not be the original 23 lanes. There is a whole plan you can see for yourself... I'm not going to sit here and explain each project to you when you can look it up online just like I did.

Managed Lanes Plan

1. Go here: Presentations
2. Download the files, especially the Managed Lane System Plan

I-75/575 New Plan

1. West by Northwest (http://www.dot.state.ga.us/informationcenter/p3/projects/WbyNW/Pages/default.aspx - broken link)
2. NWCP Homepage

I-85 HOT/Managed Lanes

1. Congestion Reduction Demonstration

I-285 Between 75 and 85

1. Go here to view the alternatives that have advanced to the next stage:
revive285 top end | Corridor Alternatives Advanced (http://www.revive285.com/corridoralternativesadvanced.asp - broken link)

Yes, I agree that the Northern Metro area needs better East-West connections, but if any new road is built to bypass traffic, it should be a toll road.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:13 AM

265 posts, read 330,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
Is that the point of being a hub? You have no choice but to go through there to get anywhere else. And also Atlanta is the areas only "city", where as Dallas has Ft. Worth
So why do we need numerous options to get around Atlanta when that is mostly everyones destination. Unlike Charlotte people actually choice to drive and vacation in Atlanta
I'm still waiting for you to tell me about all of the wonderful activities and recreation that cities like Savannah, Raleigh, VA Beach, Nashville, etc. have that Charlotte doesn't have. If one makes a claim, he should at least be able to back it up with solid evidence. But I suspect, once again, that you simply don't know what you're talking about.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:17 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,842,169 times
Why is this still going on this same thing is going on in another thread. Just back and forth back and forth.. Tell that child to write some kinda proposal to the GDOT are better see if they can employee him or her, because they have all the answer..

Old 09-15-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
I'm still waiting for you to tell me about all of the wonderful activities and recreation that cities like Savannah, Raleigh, VA Beach, Nashville, etc. have that Charlotte doesn't have. If one makes a claim, he should at least be able to back it up with solid evidence. But I suspect, once again, that you simply don't know what you're talking about.
I know one Nashville has more live music venues than Charlotte.. Other than savannah and Va for beaches other than that I don't know

Old 09-15-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post

I know one Nashville has more live music venues than Charlotte.. Other than savannah and Va for beaches other than that I don't know
Well Charlotte can't help that it's not coastal. Atlanta doesn't have a beach either. And something tells me that ajjam isn't into country music, so I doubt he'd see that as an advantage. The point I'm making is that he essentially doesn't know what he's talking about and at this point, it just appears as though he's saying anything to make Charlotte look bad, even if it's not true. Especially if it's not true!

He said before he's never lived in a midsized city before, so practically everything he's saying about Charlotte, he'd say about any of those other cities he mentioned.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
Well Charlotte can't help that it's not coastal. Atlanta doesn't have a beach either. And something tells me that ajjam isn't into country music, so I doubt he'd see that as an advantage. The point I'm making is that he essentially doesn't know what he's talking about and at this point, it just appears as though he's saying anything to make Charlotte look bad, even if it's not true. Especially if it's not true!

He said before he's never lived in a midsized city before, so practically everything he's saying about Charlotte, he'd say about any of those other cities he mentioned.

Very true. You know when I lived in Charlotte those 6 months I thought it was very boring even though they have these festivals.The Vibe and the energy was very dull. Alot of them had very low attendance. The best one I went too was the Octoberfest now that was nice. Even the for sistas only event was kinda dry, Epicentre is A hot spot too and uptown Charlotte gets very vibrant on weekends. The best weekend to be in Charlotte is CIAA weekend. I dont have a problem with the place if I had a family then I would definitely consider moving there. But for young single professional like myself. In my opinion I dont believe Charlotte is that kinda destination for alot out fun activities. The city seems to Family oriented and Corporate.

YouTube - urban charlotte

Old 09-15-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Very true. You know when I lived in Charlotte those 6 months I thought it was very boring even though they have these festivals.The Vibe and the energy was very dull. Alot of them had very low attendance.
Here in Charlotte, we have several large-scale festival events, and then there's a smattering of smaller events also. Being that you only lived here for six months, it's very likely that you didn't get a chance to attend all of the large-scale events which happen throughout the year, like: the Greek festival (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/09/09/1678992/2010-yiasou-greek-festival.html - broken link) (absolutely PACKED), Taste of Charlotte (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bz3rk/sets/72157619359163331/ - broken link), CIAA (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/02/27/1278763/ciaa-finals.html - broken link), Speed Street, Blues, Brews, & BBQ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bz3rk/sets/72157607292640455/ - broken link), the New Years Eve celebration, and, of course, Oktoberfest as you mentioned. The smaller events include a lot of ethnic events like the Festival of India (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bz3rk/sets/72157607168269870/ - broken link), the Irish Festival (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bz3rk/sets/72157606673755130/ - broken link), the Caribbean Festival (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bz3rk/sets/72157606411558653/ - broken link), etc. Personally, I like this set-up a lot. I wouldn't like having huge festivals here every other week. It's great that they are spaced out throughout the year, with the smaller events in between. That also ensures that our local police department isn't overburdened with policing a lot of large-scale events within such a short period of time.

CIAA weekend is definitely one of the best times to be in the city, but Speed Street, if I'm not mistaken, is our largest annual event. I think it's great that we have two large-scale events like this that cater to different demographics so to speak.

On top of all of this, you have Panthers game, Bobcats games, art gallery crawls, bar crawls, performing arts, concerts, and more. Between all of this, my wife and I can always find something to do. Next week we'll be attending Festival in the Park, another one of our annual events.

Quote:
I dont have a problem with the place if I had a family then I would definitely consider moving there. But for young single professional like myself. In my opinion I dont believe Charlotte is that kinda destination for alot out fun activities. The city seems to Family oriented and Corporate.
I'll be the first to admit that we're no Austin or New Orleans, and I actually like that. We're not really a city where someone graduates and comes to play for 10 years before moving on. We're a city where people like to come and put down some roots. I like the fact that our number one focus is on quality of life, and then the big events and the vibe and energy naturally follow. We are definitely on the high end of domestic migration, but we really aren't a transient city in the classic sense of the word.

Last edited by Poseidon704; 09-15-2010 at 11:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta