Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 12:58 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,004,545 times

Advertisements

One thing about the whole "more people live within a 100 mile radius around Charlotte than does in a similar area of Atlanta". I found this graphic:

So as it shows, of the 9 million or so people that live in North Carolina, about 5.6 million of them live in one of the following NC Piedmont cities/metros:

1. Charlotte
2. Raleigh
3. Greensboro
4. Durham
5. Winston-Salem
6. Fayetteville

That accounts for about 70% of North Carolina's population, and is pretty impressive. That area is mostly likely around the 100 mile radius mark, but I did not calculate it.

For the 10 million people that live in Georgia, about 5.9 million of them (60%) live around one single city:

1. Atlanta

This is in an area of about a 50 mile radius...significantly smaller than the 100 mile radius or so that is being claimed here as a bonus for Charlotte and done with a single city instead of cobbling together the 6 major Piedmont cities in North Carolina.

I'm not sure why this has to be explained. By every single measure, Charlotte is a smaller city population wise than Atlanta. This isn't exactly news here, and nothing Charlotte should take as a negative. Charlotte is a rising big league city (potentially), and could potentially be in the same league of cites as Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, DC, Miami one day. Just not today...check back in 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 01:12 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,048,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
GA counties are alot smaller than NC counties.. So that method wont work..

Like it was said before those 28 counties equals this

Also, seeing as how the Atlanta CSA is nearly at 6 million people in 8,376 square miles

Besides More than 1 million people live inside Fulton county now which is almost where Charlottes MSA is
Uhm Meckleburg county has 920,000 people in 530 sq miles. Fulton County has 1,000,000 people in 526 sqmiles. Also Charlottes counted msa is only 3,000 sq miles while Atlantas is over 8,0000. Nobodys cryin MikeandIke just levelin the playin field!!!!

Old 09-17-2010, 01:16 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,688,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Uhm Meckleburg county has 920,000 people in 530 sq miles. Fulton County has 1,000,000 people in 526 sqmiles. Also Charlottes counted msa is only 3,000 sq miles while Atlantas is over 8,0000. Nobodys cryin MikeandIke just levelin the playin field!!!!
With all those people in Charlotte - one would have thought that city had more to offer.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:17 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,842,560 times
Quote:
Uhm there are over 900,000 people living in Mecklenburg County which is 526 sqmiles to Fulton Countys 1,000,0000 peole in 520 miles. So i don't understand that logic. FYI: Charlottes MSA is only 3,000 miles compared to Atlantas 8,0000 plus. Nobodys cryin Mike. Just leveling the playing field!!!

Spread Atlanta over 3000 miles and it will still have more people and be more densified Than Charlotte .Whats your point , and if you spread Charlotte MSA over 8,000 it still wouldnt match ATL. Hell all you have to do is put Gwinnett and Fulton County together you have Charlotte MSA.. That one county is almost half of Charlottes Population.. Give it up qc this one you shouldnt have any arguement in.... While your sitting trying to quote me I see you have nothing to say about the Facts waronxmas brought up which you were crying about because someone yet again proved the theory to be a wash.. I see you know who to pick your arguments with...

Old 09-17-2010, 01:18 PM

969 posts, read 1,959,883 times
Quote:
Ok, well Fulton (1 million) and Dekalb County (700,000) populations combined equal the population of Charlotte's MSA (1.7 million). You can twist the numbers all you want, Atlanta is bigger and has more people in a smaller area. I don't even know why we are arguing this???

Old 09-17-2010, 01:26 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,048,542 times
what facts? All I see out of some of yall posters is bashing and maybe a little nervousness about Charlotte even being metioned with Atlanta. We all know Atlanta is bigger but dont knock Charlotte because it is smaller. Population doesnt necesary determine a cities status. I can quote statistics aand facts all day:

Charlotte:

1. 2nd largest u.s. financial center.

2. 11th busiest airport in world(passenger travel)-may be offf a little on this number.

3.Ranked fifth among u.s. cities with the amount of Fortune 500 headquarters.

4. Sports? Really dont need to go there: NFL, NBA,ACC,CIAA, etc...

5. AND I can keep going on .....

Here is the most important staistic and please look it up:

- the number relocation spot for Fulton County residents is Mecklenburg County...

but there is nothing in Charlotte right

Old 09-17-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
Ok, well Fulton (1 million) and Dekalb County (700,000) populations combined equal the population of Charlotte's MSA (1.7 million). You can twist the numbers all you want, Atlanta is bigger and has more people in a smaller area. I don't even know why we are arguing this???
QC dreamin does that all the time they swear Charlotte can Match Atlanta in Everything. They love this rivalry between the 2 thats why they keep it going on about it Just look at her post History. This is someone that thought Southpark could be the next Beverly Hills... Its obvious they want Charlotte to have the same regconition..

Old 09-17-2010, 01:47 PM

969 posts, read 1,959,883 times
Quote:
what facts? All I see out of some of yall posters is bashing and maybe a little nervousness about Charlotte even being metioned with Atlanta. We all know Atlanta is bigger but dont knock Charlotte because it is smaller. Population doesnt necesary determine a cities status. I can quote statistics aand facts all day:

Charlotte:

2. 11th busiest airport in world(passenger travel)-may be offf a little on this number.

- the number relocation spot for Fulton County residents is Mecklenburg County...

Not sure where you get some of your facts from. Atlanta has the world's busiest airport and more fortune 500 companies than Charlotte metro. Atlanta is number 4 and Charlotte is not number 5... this is straight from the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce: Seven of the 500 companies are headquartered in Mecklenburg County. This ranks Charlotte eighth nationally in number of Fortune 500 companies headquartered within the county.

Charlotte Chamber - Economic Development

In addition, Atlanta has every major league sport, multiple colleges, and guess what? The number one relocation spot for Mecklenburg County residents is... Fulton County! (and I was one of those people!) You can also look up that statistic as well.

Also, if you can keep going on, please do...

Old 09-17-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:

Charlotte:

Now please QC your trying it I dont think you want anyone to smash everything you just wrote.. Because those few things dont amount to to any staus of ATL....

Colleges: Charlotte doesnt even have not one elite College but yet Atlanta has GA tech and Emory and a dozen more colleges and not too mention top HBCU schools Morehouse and Spelman

Atlanta is 5th most visited city with over 17 million visits a year. over 800,000 international visitors

We have the buisiest Airport in the WORLD!!!

..Atlanta is one of 18 cities that could host the World Cup if the United States is awarded the soccer tournament in 2018 or 2022, Atlanta was the only Southern City to Host the Olympics. There have been 2 Super Bowls, NBA MLB NHL All star Weekend. Final four in 2007 and another one in 2013. NCAA mens Tournament.. SEC championship games..

IM not even going to mention NIghtlife and entertainment, Shopping, Cultural Amenties, Economy( GDP) etc

QC step your for on your GAS PETAL BEFORE YOU GET SWALLOWED

Last edited by MikeandIke27; 09-17-2010 at 02:17 PM..

Old 09-17-2010, 01:50 PM

265 posts, read 330,342 times
QC dreamin, please stop. You're not giving Charlotte a good name here (and it looks like you don't even live here!). Thankfully, I'm more than certain they know that you're the exception here, not the norm. Charlotte has much to offer, and none of the Atlantans have denied that as you claim. However Atlanta is simply in another league and I think you know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta