Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 11:54 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
When there's 5 million people in the metro-area it certainly is.

Compare that to D.C. where their population is at half a million people, yet they average over that amount in daily ridership Metro - Rail - Disruption Reports - Archived Services Reports

Or take a look at NYC where there are only 3 million more people in their metro area yet their ridership is 10 times the ridership on MARTA . MTA NYC Transit - Bus Ridership Statistics
I really enjoy your posts bizchick86, so please take no offense.

That being said, we did not have the Federal largesse that D.C. enjoyed when both systems were being built - at roughly the same time.

In the D.C. area, routes and Counties were predetermined. Individual Counties in MD & VA were not allowed to vote to join the system. Here they were. HUGE difference. I can remember the suburban folks around D.C. totally freaking out about Metro coming. Look at things now.

Not a fair comparison - at all. Add in a downright hostile State Government like ours, actually building in laws to cripple the systems finances, and here we are. Pretty simplistic, but that's basically it in a nutshell.

Regardless, our ridership is 7th or 8th in the U.S. Considering how hamstrung MARTA is, I find that extremely impressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 11:57 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
I think Atlanta would be a better city if street level retail were the norm. Too many buildings have been built which consist of a front entrance, and solid walls on two or threee sides, making entire blocks dead zones.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:13 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
LOL...you and the billion other representatives who have fought for MARTA over the last 50 odd years. Dude, we're in a conservative state where even people in metro Atlanta hate the idea of public transpo (anything public is code word for poor and/or black which is always looked upon negatively).
The best way this is going to change is by having a governor with a backbone and local politicians with one as well. Your Cobb County neighbors probably love their isolation, that's why many are there in the first place.
I know we are in a conservative state where many people don't like it. I don't like being here because of it, but I can't afford to move. I figure the best I can do is try to be that change while living in Atlanta. I typed up a petition and I want to get the students on my college campus to sign it, as well as other people.
If what you are saying about the politicians is true, then I am going to vote in the next election. The last election I voted against Perdue. I voted for Taylor, unfortunately, it wasn't enough. I don't like the system I am under and sometimes I feel like the people who have the power don't care and the people who do care don't have enough power. The attitude seems to be "don't have a car, too bad, I am not supporting public transit because I am afraid of the 'crime'. If you need it so bad, leave". That is why I am trying to do something.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:41 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,801 times
Quote:
When there's 5 million people in the metro-area it certainly is.

Compare that to D.C. where their population is at half a million people, yet they average over that amount in daily ridership Metro - Rail - Disruption Reports - Archived Services Reports

Or take a look at NYC where there are only 3 million more people in their metro area yet their ridership is 10 times the ridership on MARTA . MTA NYC Transit - Bus Ridership Statistics
Whereas DCs ridership is MUCH larger, the area covered is also indescribably larger. The Metro actually serves the entire metro DC area, so your figures can be a but misleading. The population of metro DC is 5.3 million as told by wikipedia. Metro Atlanta also has a population of roughly 5 million, but MARTA only serves 3 of the roughly 10 counties that make up metro Atlanta. Just Gwinnett and Cobb, the 2 largest counties that aren't served by MARTA make up 1.5 of that 5 million.

I think that MARTA's numbers are actually very good for what little areas they do serve.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:45 PM

927 posts, read 2,226,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I really enjoy your posts bizchick86, so please take no offense.

That being said, we did not have the Federal largesse that D.C. enjoyed when both systems were being built - at roughly the same time.

In the D.C. area, routes and Counties were predetermined. Individual Counties in MD & VA were not allowed to vote to join the system. Here they were. HUGE difference. I can remember the suburban folks around D.C. totally freaking out about Metro coming. Look at things now.

Not a fair comparison - at all. Add in a downright hostile State Government like ours, actually building in laws to cripple the systems finances, and here we are. Pretty simplistic, but that's basically it in a nutshell.

Regardless, our ridership is 7th or 8th in the U.S. Considering how hamstrung MARTA is, I find that extremely impressive.
None taken. My post however, is not meant to discredit any of this, as I agree with you. I'm simply stating that our public transpo is in low demand in Atlanta.

JPD and eric, the same applies as well. Indeed NYC and DC are both more dense, but that is really irrelevant to my original statement.

Without ever having to take density into account, the demand for public transpo in the outer metro area, where most of our populous comes from, is not only low, but MARTA expansion and improvement is wholeheartedly voted against in every opportunity possible, and has been for the past several decades.

Density and population have nothing to do with my original post. I only used the stats to respond to someone about ridership, which in fact does not equal demand, and in which we are doing poorly as well, regardless of the reasons why.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:50 PM

927 posts, read 2,226,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I know we are in a conservative state where many people don't like it. I don't like being here because of it, but I can't afford to move. I figure the best I can do is try to be that change while living in Atlanta. I typed up a petition and I want to get the students on my college campus to sign it, as well as other people.
If what you are saying about the politicians is true, then I am going to vote in the next election. The last election I voted against Perdue. I voted for Taylor, unfortunately, it wasn't enough. I don't like the system I am under and sometimes I feel like the people who have the power don't care and the people who do care don't have enough power. The attitude seems to be "don't have a car, too bad, I am not supporting public transit because I am afraid of the 'crime'. If you need it so bad, leave". That is why I am trying to do something.
That's awesome pirate. Public advocacy is always a great tool. Combined with some political action, things can definitely change.

At some point, GA will have no choice but to invest in MARTA especially if people in Atlanta, which is the HUB of GA's economic activity (make that the southeast's economic activity), make demands for its investment. Go 'head homie. I'm sure you could find some folks on here, including myself, who'd sign that petition with you.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:58 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:

Without ever having to take density into account, the demand for public transpo in the outer metro area, where most of our populous comes from, is not only low, but MARTA expansion and improvement is wholeheartedly voted against in every opportunity possible, and has been for the past several decades.

I'd like to see MARTA expand it's rail system within Dekalb and Fulton. If there were rail stations in what are now bus only zones, such as Northlake, Tucker, Emory, Toco Hill, North Dekalb Mall, Embry Hills, Virginia-Highland, Boulevard/Medical Center, etc. ridership would probably double.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:03 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCLTtoATL View Post
Beyond public transportation, here are some other issues for Atlanta and the metro region to address:

1. Water. Dependence on Lake Lanier during a drought. And there will be another drought. That's a given.
Remember also that Atlanta's right to water in Lake Allatoona and at Hickory Log Creek are also now being challenged by out-of-state interests:

Allatoona may be next battle in water war*| ajc.com
Allatoona may be next battle in water war — Alabama Rivers Alliance

Old 08-25-2009, 01:06 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,048,359 times
The beltine should go a long ways towards this Atlanta BeltLine > Home as it will add22 miles of rail connecting to Marta at four points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I'd like to see MARTA expand it's rail system within Dekalb and Fulton. If there were rail stations in what are now bus only zones, such as Northlake, Tucker, Emory, Toco Hill, North Dekalb Mall, Embry Hills, Virginia-Highland, Boulevard/Medical Center, etc. ridership would probably double.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:13 PM

815 posts, read 2,137,622 times
Atlanta will be a much better city when the following two things happen:
The Falcons win a Super Bowl (coming in the next 5 years)
and when Wet Willies opens up on Peidmont & Lindbergh (coming winter '09)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta