Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2012, 08:11 PM

998 posts, read 1,550,731 times

Advertisements

GHSU e-mails indicate Azziz opposed 'Augusta' in name of merged university | The Augusta Chronicle

We knew he was lying at the forums and he denied any part of picking the name... this proves he was lying. You can't "move on" and not hold him accountable, if he'll lie about this, what else will he lie about? I think we were all really hoping he'd do well here and he still can if he makes this right, but it's not looking good right now. He squandered a very big chance to bring the city together behind him specifically, the city is behind the merger itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Magician View Post
A lot of the info seems to suggest different, when I read the AC, quotes, and comments. Seems like everything is said in the same breath. Such as: merger, governor set aside money; merger, GGHF property for free. The whole situation has left me jaded. Then again, I already was. Whether or not money or land was dependent upon the merger, it is what it is. I think it is time to move on. Though I don't think our politicians are worth much, let alone do much, they need to be doing something more productive than this. The items they are tabling to resolve this may not be taken care of till.....

GHSU officials and Azziz are the only ones mentioned in the articles, not anyone from ASU. You're not going to find Bill Bloodworth's name in any of the articles and the governor has been talking about exchanging the property to the city initially and then the school (GHSU) for years... before Deal was even governor. Our local politicians find a way to screw everything up, this would actually be good for the city if they were to get involved... if they're busy with this, they can't mess up anything else dealing with the actual city itself. I'm half joking and half not, sadly... But what items are they tabling to take a vote on this issue?

Old 08-18-2012, 09:18 PM

614 posts, read 1,102,008 times
I can't disagree with you one bit. Fact is, the citizens are lied to all the time. Dr. Azizz and others got caught. Yes, his character is in question but give him some time to redeem himself. Many still see him as a visionary. If he can turn New U into a top 50 or even 30 U during his tenure, I think he deserves to have a statue downtown right next to JB. I'm not his biggest fan, but I'm going to root for him to get the job done. Now, I don't know what the mafia is tabling to give their 2 cents on this matter. I'd rather they be doing something else like trying to make Augusta more business friendly, putting together incentive packages for prospective companies, recruiting companies, making downtown safer and repair its image, etc. Dr. Azizz has been through enough. In some of those forum photos he looks scared. Last thing I want is for outsiders to think they shouldn't come to Augusta, because those folks aren't ready for change or get hung up over minute issues.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:36 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,107,847 times
Nobody will be able to recognize Augusta(especially the urban core) by the year 2015 anyway... That's the only good news Dr. Azziz has going for him at the moment...

1. CBD(GGHF site): performing arts center, dorms, research buildings.... Additional things if both Jim Jacoby and Cal Ripken are allowed to participate in the process..
2. Medical District: cancer center, medical commons, Laney Walker pedestrian park, neighborhood walmart/other amenities/bike lanes/sidewalks
3. ASU main campus(Summerville) freshman dorms & parking decks
4. ASU west campus(Wrightsboro/Damascus) student dorms, recreation facility, and possibly academic building
5. GHSU owns the old Fatmans property, and parcels of land around Harrisburg.. The old library on 9th street is for sale, and city will more than likely give GHSU/ASU the Sunset/Cherry Tree housing project in the future..

I still hear a few people refer to Dr. Azziz as this 'visionary', but is he anymore visionary than Deke... Somebody who flew to New Jersey on their own dime, and helped recruit ADP.. The person who managed to bring together local businessman/leaders from Georgia Power, Fort Gordon, SRS, Jefferson Electric, and Milton Ruben Chevrolet to discuss the future of charging stations here in Augusta(mayor applied for $500k grant)... Deke basically had to convince the Salvation Army officials Augusta could support it's own Kroc Center and then help raise the $20 million needed to start construction.. Plus creating the $100 million arts campaign, and be one of the main forces behind demolishing Gilbert Manor(the home of the new dental school & future medical commons)...

Old 08-18-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
I can't disagree with you one bit. Fact is, the citizens are lied to all the time. Dr. Azizz and others got caught. Yes, his character is in question but give him some time to redeem himself. Many still see him as a visionary. If he can turn New U into a top 50 or even 30 U during his tenure, I think he deserves to have a statue downtown right next to JB. I'm not his biggest fan, but I'm going to root for him to get the job done. Now, I don't know what the mafia is tabling to give their 2 cents on this matter. I'd rather they be doing something else like trying to make Augusta more business friendly, putting together incentive packages for prospective companies, recruiting companies, making downtown safer and repair its image, etc. Dr. Azizz has been through enough. In some of those forum photos he looks scared. Last thing I want is for outsiders to think they shouldn't come to Augusta, because those folks aren't ready for change or get hung up over minute issues.

So... when if we catch people lying, let it slide? I'm not following... he's had 2+ weeks to reverse course, he's done nothing to date but double down. Again, the vast majority in the forums were supportive of the change in merging the 2 schools, they just don't like being lied to and seeing money wasted more than once. It's the same stuff you see nationally on the political scene and people are getting tired of it. I can also tell you he wasn't scared in the least bit at the forums, his arrogance wouldn't allow it... and even if he was... it's his fault, is it not? Respect goes both ways... he's not a very good liar and everything on the internet (e-mails) is findable, so he's not as smart as he thinks he is.

Why exactly does he deserve a statue downtown? To be vandalized? A man insults the city more than once, and deserves a statue downtown? He could very well have a statue one day if he fixes this (what should be a non-issue) issue and elevate the university to a top 50 research University, thereby elevating Augusta in the same breath to a new level... But regardless the new dental building and medical commons were going to happen, no matter who was running the school. He's not the only visionary out there, maybe we could get an honest one with a second attempt. With the state putting so much money into the school, I'd be willing to bet there would be more than a few qualified individuals applying for Azziz's position.

I hope he makes this right, but I sincerely doubt it after last Thursday... you don't exactly walk back statements like:

"We didn't make a mistake, the branding committee didn't make a mistake."

and

"You all have severely, severely, underestimated the amount of intellect that has gone into naming this newly combine university."

I'm telling you, it's a completely different animal seeing the man speak as opposed to reading about it.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:26 PM

614 posts, read 1,102,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
So... when if we catch people lying, let it slide? I'm not following... he's had 2+ weeks to reverse course, he's done nothing to date but double down. Again, the vast majority in the forums were supportive of the change in merging the 2 schools, they just don't like being lied to and seeing money wasted more than once. It's the same stuff you see nationally on the political scene and people are getting tired of it. I can also tell you he wasn't scared in the least bit at the forums, his arrogance wouldn't allow it... and even if he was... it's his fault, is it not? Respect goes both ways... he's not a very good liar and everything on the internet (e-mails) is findable, so he's not as smart as he thinks he is.

Why exactly does he deserve a statue downtown? To be vandalized? A man insults the city more than once, and deserves a statue downtown? He could very well have a statue one day if he fixes this (what should be a non-issue) issue and elevate the university to a top 50 research University, thereby elevating Augusta in the same breath to a new level... But regardless the new dental building and medical commons were going to happen, no matter who was running the school. He's not the only visionary out there, maybe we could get an honest one with a second attempt. With the state putting so much money into the school, I'd be willing to bet there would be more than a few qualified individuals applying for Azziz's position.

I hope he makes this right, but I sincerely doubt it after last Thursday... you don't exactly walk back statements like:

"We didn't make a mistake, the branding committee didn't make a mistake."

and

"You all have severely, severely, underestimated the amount of intellect that has gone into naming this newly combine university."

I'm telling you, it's a completely different animal seeing the man speak as opposed to reading about it.
I don't disagree with you. He brought this on himself and he should pay for trying to pull this on the people. He will pay. His biggest problem is he keeps lying and is not apologetic. At the same time he doesn't deserve all the blame or majority of it. The BOR dropped the ball. They had an opportunity to name a school after themselves and did with out looking at the data, correct? If they would have done there due diligence this would have never happened, correct? Not only that but if Augusta could manage to keep people that are doing a decent job a lot of what is going on wouldn't be happening. Wasn't former President Daniel Rahn doing a good job? Wasn't Dana Bedden doing a good job? They both left. Now we have Sleepy and I've never managed a school system this big Roberson. Can anyone see that not only do we occasionally lose quality companies, we also lose quality people. Augusta needs to become the city of choice for the best of the best.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:43 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,107,847 times
Quote:
I don't disagree with you. He brought this on himself and he should pay for trying to pull this on the people. He will pay. His biggest problem is he keeps lying and is not apologetic. At the same time he doesn't deserve all the blame or majority of it. The BOR dropped the ball. They had an opportunity to name a school after themselves and did with out looking at the data, correct? If they would have done there due diligence this would have never happened, correct? Not only that but if Augusta could manage to keep people that are doing a decent job a lot of what is going on wouldn't be happening. Wasn't former President Daniel Rahn doing a good job? Wasn't Dana Bedden doing a good job? They both left. Now we have Sleepy and I've never managed a school system this big Roberson. Can anyone see that not only do we occasionally lose quality companies, we also lose quality people. Augusta needs to become the city of choice for the best of the best.
I agree with you in terms of the overall point, but Dr. Rahn got into trouble with the MCG foundation.. You basically had two foundations competing against each other.. He also had been here for 18 years(9 as president) already... The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences is slightly bigger, and has more funding compared to GHSU..

Dr. Bedden left for suburban Dallas(Irving), and his wife was never happy in an metro this small....

Old 08-18-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:

Ok, well I agree with most of that. But, I most certainly blame Azziz for making this an issue to begin with... Georgia Regents is HIS name, he inserted it into the survey list of names and sent his team to the Regents to get his wish. They backed him up on his dishonest scheme to get the university named, that's the Regents fault. The survey was done by GHSU, not the Board of Regents... Azziz sat on it after he got results he didn't like. There was no due diligence to worry about because Georgia Regents was the only choice to be made as soon as it was placed into being by Azzziz, this is factually backed up btw. So far... everything that has initially started as a rumor, been denied by Azziz, has turned out to be true.

I'm friends with Dr. Rahn's daughter, she graduated, got married and he was ready for a new thing ultimately... there were a few minor bumps in his tenure, but nothing that I think ultimately made Augusta "lose" him. That said, MCG has never seen the funding that is supposedly coming down the pipeline these past few years. After Rahn left, the amount spent on the hospital administration rose 7 million dollars, that should help retain people in the future. Bedden was a loss, that's unfortunate, but such is the life of a mid-size city... I do think Roberson is in over his head though! There is a lot more that has to happen to fix the schools in Richmond County than getting a competent chairperson... much of the problem is cultural and a failure starting at the homes of the students themselves. I don't know how you fix that.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:17 PM

937 posts, read 1,801,939 times
Tried to find more in dept blueprints of the Commons and dorms on the Summerville campus and my attempts were unsuccessful, any help guys?

Old 08-20-2012, 06:30 PM

937 posts, read 1,801,939 times
Why not build the baseball stadium on the watermark property and let GHSU have the GGHOF?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area