Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 03:37 PM

5,870 posts, read 11,934,139 times

Advertisements

10 Great Cities For Young Adults

10 Great Cities For Young Adults - Yahoo! Real Estate

They did hit the nail on the head with cons though:

CONS: Long, hot summers, accelerating urban sprawl, limited public transportation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 09:13 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,436,440 times
I don't agree with the below average cost of city living. Does everyone really think that we have long, hot summers? They aren't too bad. I'd rather be here in the winter instead of Fargo!

Old 07-29-2010, 09:19 PM

979 posts, read 2,956,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Does everyone really think that we have long, hot summers? They aren't too bad. I'd rather be here in the winter instead of Fargo!
Yes, of course we have long, hot summers. I can't think of too many parts of the country that have longer and hotter ones. Ours usually goes from end of April until October. I do agree that it's a better option than Fargo though.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:13 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,063,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
I don't agree with the below average cost of city living. Does everyone really think that we have long, hot summers? They aren't too bad. I'd rather be here in the winter instead of Fargo!
We do have a below average cost of living. When you take all the metro areas in the country and find the average, Austin does fall slightly below average. But remember, outliers like SF, LA, DC and NYC will skew the average. I wonder if anyone has done a "median" cost of living and if so where Austin falls on that.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:31 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,851,871 times
I am beggining to think that Yahoo just uses the same 10 cities over and over again for all their top 10 lists. Sometimes they make the effort to jumble the order around, but for the most part the only thing that changes in these links are the titles.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:05 AM

5,870 posts, read 11,934,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
I am beggining to think that Yahoo just uses the same 10 cities over and over again for all their top 10 lists. Sometimes they make the effort to jumble the order around, but for the most part the only thing that changes in these links are the titles.
LOL!! It did reference Kiplinger as the source though.

It's not that I don't think Austin's all that, but we don't need any more hype than the media has already given us. Sure, it's a great place to live if you're a young adult, but I'm not sure I would have put it at the top of the list either.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:11 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,576,586 times
At least I respect this one for putting in a "CONS" section. This is actually one of the better lists that I've seen recently. Also, under the "Pros" section it lists reasonable rent and not low cost housing for the city which I think is true. You can still rent an apartment in Central Austin (where the action is for most young people) at a really good price. It might be 550 square feet, but at least it's an option.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:29 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,166,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post

It's not that I don't think Austin's all that, but we don't need any more hype than the media has already given us. Sure, it's a great place to live if you're a young adult, but I'm not sure I would have put it at the top of the list either.

If you look at the list again, you'll see it's listed purely alphabetical - no mention of numbers 1 through 10...
JMHO

Old 07-30-2010, 10:02 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,851,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post

Yeah, I know what you mean. I just got back from NYC and all my friends are saying "wow, austin is so great, we should move there". I have to bite my tounge to keep myself from saying "NO!! NO MORE!! PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NO MORE!"

I don't want to be one of THOSE people. But really, this "promised land" mythos has to stop.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:08 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,924 times
I'm from Kansas City--and I question the credibility of a list that includes it (and Lansing??!!??) with Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin