Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 06:58 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,061,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I know it takes place in the fictional town of "Arlen, TX", but since Mike Judge lives in Austin, I was wondering if any part of the show is comparable to life there.
I've only seen a few re-runs late at night, but got the impression it was a blue collar town, probably a smaller town, and for some reason I thought maybe near Houston or Ft. Worth.

We don't have Texas accents in Austin, so I don't think it could be Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 07:36 PM

982 posts, read 3,307,953 times
I LOVE KoTH! Watch it every night! I have a few quotes that are my favorite:

1. Is there anything that beer can't do?
2. Ah, Ronald Reagan. God I miss voting for that man!
3. I sell propane and propane accessories. (I think of that every time I pass the Texas Propane Gas Association heading south on I-35!)
4. Why would anyone do drugs when they can just mow their lawn?

I always thought of Arlen as maybe the Bryan/College Station area, but the characters don't get into college football. I also considered Arlen as someplace near San Antonio maybe. I get the biggest kick out of that show - it is indeed very Texan.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:40 PM

216 posts, read 996,459 times
Post Koth

We love that show!. My husband and I see a lot of Arlen in Austin but it is definitely not the same
Any fav quotes from the show? I have millions but I'm drawing a blank

"I figured out a way Pegleg to get to Austin without going to Oklahoma"

"We don't go down Aisle 8G Connie"

Old 08-10-2007, 07:43 PM

"For your punishment Bobby I want you to clean out the garage, Cut the grass and clean out the gutters.....Wait a minute why am I giving you my chores -You are getting a job!"

Old 08-10-2007, 07:59 PM

982 posts, read 3,307,953 times
Quote:
"We don't go down Aisle 8G Connie"
ROTFLMAO!!! That was an awesome episode!!

Old 08-10-2007, 08:18 PM

506 posts, read 2,150,100 times
I don't know where, if anyplace, the show is supposed to be set but I saw him interviewed once and he said he'd based the town on Garland, Texas (blue collar suburb on the east side of Dallas).

Old 08-10-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsengle View Post
ROTFLMAO!!! That was an awesome episode!!
No joke, This was indeed my first episode of KOTH ever.

I was sitting in a hotel in Austin (doing a AMAT training course) and I was telling my US husband sitting in Ireland about this episode. He and I were laughing so much and he gave me the background of the show (as he had watched it for a long time).

My husbands fav character is Kahn Supanoosaphone (I think?) and the quote he says is......
"Oh Good job you follow trail of clues that start with same last name......Does Scotland Yard know about you?"

Old 08-10-2007, 10:23 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kt2le View Post
I don't know where, if anyplace, the show is supposed to be set but I saw him interviewed once and he said he'd based the town on Garland, Texas (blue collar suburb on the east side of Dallas).
Supposedly. He grew up in Garland and for a long time Garland was a more "blue collar suburb" as it is home to many manufacturing companies (bombs, paint, trucks, plastics, food - Kraft for one, metal shops, etc). We live in Garland and have a business here that is somewhat "blue collar" as we do deal w/ many of the local businesses. However the city has changed A LOT over the years as it was not hit hard w/ the fallout in the telecom industry and does have plenty of wealth. Whenever we are traveling and we tell someone where we are from if we get past the "Dallas" part and say "Garland" then talk about business they always ask if we are "Hank". NO!!!!! No, my husband is NOT Hank nor does he even come close. Although he is known to hang out in the driveway at our house, neighbors or friends and they tinker w/ their cars and drink beer. Tonight he is at a friends house w/ some other guys drinking beer probably and throwing horse shoes. ACK!!!!! NO!!! I am NOT married to Hank and I do NOT teach Spanish. LOL!!!

Yes, around here us women also are known to hang out in the drive w/ the guys and enjoy a drink (margarita, wine, etc - we try to be a little more "refined" ).

I've never really watched the show to any great length - too busy w/ the kids or hanging out in the drive w/ the neighbors to be inside watching tv . I've seen a few episodes of KoftH and a few of Office Space and it is FUNNY!!! Loved Office Space especially being a business owner and being able to relate to some of the stuff that goes on.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:30 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,467,052 times
I thought I heard an interview where he said it was based on the Killeen area. I was convinced when the local football team played the Belton Armadillos (its actually the Belton Tigers) Killeen's biggest rival.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:46 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastea View Post
I thought I heard an interview where he said it was based on the Killeen area. I was convinced when the local football team played the Belton Armadillos (its actually the Belton Tigers) Killeen's biggest rival.
I think he took a lil bit from here and there all over Texas and amassed it all into one neat little package. Afterall there is something in it that fits somewhere in The Lone Star State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin