Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 08:53 PM

98 posts, read 486,050 times

Advertisements

Never owned the hat. Do own the boots(and they're bad-ass too).

When I lived in Grapevine(DFW Airport) we would go down and watch the Asians getting off of international flights wearing stark white Stetsons and rare animal boots of some sort. A few even had spurs. In Madrid there is a place called the "Texas Bar". You walk inside and everything is covered in UT schwag. Some Spaniards would go dressed like "cowboys". They all looked like James Dean. This was before GWB ruined Texas' image for the world. Carpetbagger!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 01:07 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
I disagree...Every time I visit Fort Worth...I feel like I stepped into a western movie scene. There are men wearing wranglers, boots and hats. There are many men riding their horses right down the main drag near the stockyards. It is a real cowboy town.
I guess I didn't travel too far into Ft. Worth then.

I do remember seeing several fields with cows, but that was it, as far as stockyards/countryside goes. Everywhere else I traveled looked like a big city to me.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:09 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
And the propane thing... dunno about you, but as I would drive from Dallas to Austin, along I35 just north as you enter Austin... there was a little office building with a sign like "Texas Propane Association" or something... it was on like a little hill on the west side of the highway... for some reason, I always noticed it. Maybe Mike Judge did too.
I have to visit that site when I'm in Austin and take a picture.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:52 PM

506 posts, read 2,149,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
I disagree...Every time I visit Fort Worth...I feel like I stepped into a western movie scene. There are men wearing wranglers, boots and hats. There are many men riding their horses right down the main drag near the stockyards. It is a real cowboy town.
I don't mean to disillusion you but the stockyards is a tourist area and anybody riding a horse around there is paid to do it.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:07 PM

384 posts, read 1,413,648 times
wait till the make a cartoon based upon characters from deep south texas....from corpus to the valley

sporting that tex-mex, spanglish accent and lingo.

people not used to south texas will freak out about the culture down there. its a texas stereotype buster.

love it.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:30 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I agree. My moms family is from the Sinton/Corpus Christi area and even though they are white Germans, there is a slight spanish sound to their accent. They also do spanish things for the holidays, like tamales on Christmas day and New Years. My grandpa used to drive us into Mexico a lot when we were kids, too. Yep, a whole different flavor.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:44 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,385,192 times
[quote=ITChick;1253774]I know it takes place in the fictional town of "Arlen, TX", but since Mike Judge lives in Austin, I was wondering if any part of the show is comparable to life there.
QUOTE]

In one episode, Hank travels to Peggy's native Montana and meets Henry Winkler, who has bought a ranch near Peggy's homestead. When Winkler asks Hank where in Texas he's from, Hank replies, "Arlen."
Mishearing him, Winkler responds:"Oh, I LOVE Austin!" to which Hank responds with a nasty sneer.
KOTH is definitely set in anywhere-Texas (where good conservatives hate Austin), but certainly not in Austin.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:50 PM

320 posts, read 297,048 times
Umm, I think it's referring to Arlington, TX.

Yuuup.

Yup.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:50 PM

212 posts, read 1,076,693 times
I just saw KOTH tonight. It's Arlen and they took a trip Austin for Bill's birthday. And the former gov Richards drank beer with them in the alley. I never watch KOTH much but now I love it, it seems so much funnier when hyou are in Texas.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:02 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
...Winkler responds:"Oh, I LOVE Austin!" to which Hank responds with a nasty sneer.
KOTH is definitely set in anywhere-Texas (where good conservatives hate Austin), but certainly not in Austin.

Yup.
Yup.
Yup.
Dang-ol' yup.
*pop*---*fizzz*---*glug-glug-glug*

But it doesn't get any better than when Khan Suphanusaphon looks over the fence and sees Bobby "marrying" LuAnn and calls out to his wife to hurry and come see "hillbilly redneck marrying cousin!" I can just imagine the happiness he felt in that moment...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin