Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 11:58 AM

216 posts, read 996,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
Office Space rules!!!! I haven't seen "Idiocracy" yet because of mixed reviews. Mike Judge is like an idol to me so I'm afraid of seeing something he does and not liking it. But if you liked Beavis and Butthead AND Office Space, then I guess that's 2 thumbs up.
So I watched Idiocracy last night based on what was said on this forum. I love Mike Judge humor especially in KOTH and Office Space.
While I thought the movie was thought provoking I really cant see myself watching it again and again like his other work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 11:00 AM

216 posts, read 996,009 times
Smile TexaVision

I was reading a magazine over the week-end and saw this:

TEXAVISION traces the history of Texas' television presence – from the old black-and-white Westerns to modern-day shows like King of the Hill – through scripts, production notes, storyboards, images, and other cinematic artifacts. Through Sept. 23. Capitol Visitors Center, 112 E. 11th, 305-8400. Free.

Just incase anyone on this board is interested enough.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:25 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,718,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheMoveAGAIN View Post
So I watched Idiocracy last night based on what was said on this forum. I love Mike Judge humor especially in KOTH and Office Space.
While I thought the movie was thought provoking I really cant see myself watching it again and again like his other work.
Really? Sorry to read that because I thought it was enjoyable.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:

Yup.
Yup.
Yup.
Dang-ol' yup.
*pop*---*fizzz*---*glug-glug-glug*

But it doesn't get any better than when Khan Suphanusaphon looks over the fence and sees Bobby "marrying" LuAnn and calls out to his wife to hurry and come see "hillbilly redneck marrying cousin!" I can just imagine the happiness he felt in that moment...
Kahn is one of my favorite characters because of his somewhat narrow minded (but very funny) comments.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheMoveAGAIN View Post
I was reading a magazine over the week-end and saw this:

TEXAVISION traces the history of Texas' television presence – from the old black-and-white Westerns to modern-day shows like King of the Hill – through scripts, production notes, storyboards, images, and other cinematic artifacts. Through Sept. 23. Capitol Visitors Center, 112 E. 11th, 305-8400. Free.

Just incase anyone on this board is interested enough.

So this is a traveling exhibit? I don't think I can make it in time, but I'll try. Thanks!

Old 08-28-2007, 05:07 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,377,813 times
after reading this thread, i am embarrassed to say i have never watched King of The Hill.......maybe i need to start, if i can find the channel it's on. now yall got me curious about this show.....

Old 08-28-2007, 06:43 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,768,663 times
It shows on Fox, FX, and probably a couple other more-obscure cable stations.

It's on daily at various times on FX, and every Sunday evening on Fox. All this is from memory and subject to error. Your mileage may vary. I highly recommend watching it, even if you think you don't like animated shows. I normally don't like animation but I love KOTH and Beavis and Butthead (not that KOTH is as crude or targeted to stoners like B&B...)

Old 08-28-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:

It's on daily at various times on FX, and every Sunday evening on Fox. All this is from memory and subject to error. Your mileage may vary. I highly recommend watching it, even if you think you don't like animated shows. I normally don't like animation but I love KOTH and Beavis and Butthead (not that KOTH is as crude or targeted to stoners like B&B...)
Where I live, it's run twice in the evening at 9:30 PM and 10:30 PM. It's a nice show to watch before going to sleep.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:37 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,377,813 times
thanks! will check it out........
p.s. the only animated show i ever enjoyed was beavis and butthead, so maybe i will get into KOTH!

Quote:

Old 08-29-2007, 09:15 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,768,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
...the only animated show i ever enjoyed was beavis and butthead, so maybe i will get into KOTH!
The similarities are striking but the target audience is very different. Mike Judge is the brain behind both shows and the common theme, discussed earlier in this thread, is that Judge has a way of not Judging people (har har) --- he made Beavis and Butthead lovable even though they were despicable characters. He had a way of showing their humanity and we all felt connected to them because "we knew those guys in junior high." Right?

In King of The Hill, Judge turns his attention away from misfit teens to ordinary families. He brilliantly illuminates the humor and humanity of all the various characters that populate our daily lives. The show has tremendous compassion and every episode ends on a happy note, kind of like sitcoms in the 1950s. And yet there is biting wit and social commentary in each episode.

For his ability to create shows that spotlight the foibles of humanity while making us feel compassion for human beings, I think Mike Judge deserves a Nobel Prize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin