Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 04:18 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,719,605 times

Advertisements

I know it takes place in the fictional town of "Arlen, TX", but since Mike Judge lives in Austin, I was wondering if any part of the show is comparable to life there.

I love watching the cartoon, and was just wondering what those who live in Austin think of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 04:37 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,965 times
Austin likes to claim it but so does Dallas since Judge is originally from there. I don't think he's ever commented on it.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:11 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,769,846 times
This should be a fun thread if K. of the H. is popular with forum members.

That cartoon is an exaggerated but accurate version of Texas. It shows what I love and hate about this place. Mike Judge is brilliant at creating characters who you love and hate at the same time because he infuses those characters with so many human qualities, he doesn't create flawless heroes or horribly evil villains. Even Beavis and Butthead had qualities that you have to love.

One of my best friends lives in a working class NW/Central Austin neighborhood that is like a replica of KoTH --- she says that every one of the characters lives on her street and they've all talked about it. They all gather and drink beer together after work, the only difference being that the women join in too, it's not just the men. But they have a paranoid conspiracy-theorist Dale, they have a Boomhauer who nobody can understand, they've got 'em all. And it's beautiful! It's life.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Austin likes to claim it but so does Dallas since Judge is originally from there. I don't think he's ever commented on it.
Interesting. Sounds like it's a little of both thrown into the show.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:38 PM

98 posts, read 486,050 times
It is very much the Burbs of Texas. The show has dropped several hints as to where in Texas Arlen is including drive times to Austin, Mexico and Dallas. Inbetween Dallas and Austin ~2 hrs from Dallas is about the Killeen area and that Bill works on an Army base located in the town adds to this.

I don't think it is suppose to be any place in particular but it is scarry how much like real Texans it is. I especially love that Peggy is a white Spanish teacher who can't speak simple Spanish.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
That cartoon is an exaggerated but accurate version of Texas. It shows what I love and hate about this place. Mike Judge is brilliant at creating characters who you love and hate at the same time because he infuses those characters with so many human qualities, he doesn't create flawless heroes or horribly evil villains. Even Beavis and Butthead had qualities that you have to love.
I loved Beavis and Butthead! Good times! Didn't realize until I read an article that the backround was Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester
One of my best friends lives in a working class NW/Central Austin neighborhood that is like a replica of KoTH
That would be an awesome place to visit! No one drinks Beer in any Alleys around here (they're too dirty and smelly). Nice to know that the Women can participate.

I'm a fan of other works of Mike Judge too. I loved his movies "Office Space" and "Idiocracy".

Old 08-10-2007, 06:08 PM

Office Space rules!!!! I haven't seen "Idiocracy" yet because of mixed reviews. Mike Judge is like an idol to me so I'm afraid of seeing something he does and not liking it. But if you liked Beavis and Butthead AND Office Space, then I guess that's 2 thumbs up.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
Office Space rules!!!! I haven't seen "Idiocracy" yet because of mixed reviews. Mike Judge is like an idol to me so I'm afraid of seeing something he does and not liking it. But if you liked Beavis and Butthead AND Office Space, then I guess that's 2 thumbs up.
Definitely see "Idiocracy". A friend of mine purchased it for me to see but you might be able to find it for rental. It is one of those movies that makes you think and laugh simultaneously! I don't want to ruin the plot for you as I saw it with no idea what it could be about. It is such a good movie that it has left me with memories that I still smile about months later. Two thumbs up!

Old 08-10-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equus007 View Post
Inbetween Dallas and Austin ~2 hrs from Dallas is about the Killeen area and that Bill works on an Army base located in the town adds to this.
So would you say it could take place in Killeen, TX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by equus
I don't think it is suppose to be any place in particular but it is scarry how much like real Texans it is. I especially love that Peggy is a white Spanish teacher who can't speak simple Spanish.
I cringe every time Peggy mispronounces something in Spanish! It is very funny though that she's so serious about it and yet has no clue!

I've developed a real appreciation for KOTH over the years and find each of the characters lovable and interesting in their own special ways.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
So would you say it could take place in Killeen, TX?
Personally, I would think it could fit just about any town in central Texas. It's definitely not far-east Texas, nor is it Panhandle or deep southern TX. It's gotta be Hill Country to Dallas, somewhere in that region, and Killeen is smack in the middle of all that. There's a really cute town named Gatesville, close to where the Bush ranch is (and Ted Nugent's new ranch), it's a very friendly place that could be like Arlen. But clearly, as equus said, the show doesn't intend to be an exact location, just an approximation of a region and a typical small town in that region. And it works.
Quote:
I cringe every time Peggy mispronounces something in Spanish! It is very funny though that she's so serious about it and yet has no clue!
I find that hilarious too but have never met anyone like her. You can tell that the script is written by men because the male characters are a lot more believable than the female characters. Although I have met a few LuAnnes here, I'm sorry to say...
Quote:
I've developed a real appreciation for KOTH over the years and find each of the characters lovable and interesting in their own special ways.
Yup, that's what I love about it, the fact that Judge finds a way to tug at your heart even as you're watching characters that might otherwise annoy you. It's a very compassionate show that makes you laugh at all of humanity equally, while seeing how we're all a lot more alike than we tend to think we are. I think it's a good preview of life in Texas. People who hate the characters in KoTH should NOT move to Texas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin