Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 01:24 PM

45 posts, read 77,702 times

Advertisements

Back on topic? I had a few people recommend Spicewood at Bullcreek or Great Hills. How are those are far as access to downtown? I know they're in RRISD (at least parts of Great Hills are) and would be a good commute to Cedar Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 01:36 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,096,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbetc View Post
Back on topic? I had a few people recommend Spicewood at Bullcreek or Great Hills. How are those are far as access to downtown? I know they're in RRISD (at least parts of Great Hills are) and would be a good commute to Cedar Park.
Not too bad -- Mopac can be a parking lot at certain times of the day, especially southbound from 2222 to the river. Trying to get downtown for a weekend festival or night out? No problem, depending on exactly where you are and the feeder route, maybe 20-25 minutes. Trying to get downtown on a weekday afternoon, between 4-6 pm? much more painful.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:36 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,165 times
Both are easy access to quite a bot of the central Austin stuff (15 minutes by car), and still close to some of the non-downtown cool stuff about Austin (lakes, etc.)

Old 11-15-2012, 01:56 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
This assertion that the jobs aren't in the core is nonsense. How do you explain the traffic jams on North Mopac and 183, headed central? South IH35 and Mopac doing the same. . .every single day.

The jobs are there - the people are not located near the jobs.

I've never once promoted any sort of government jobs program - where do you people come up with this crap?

And the problem with development being expensive in the center city is because it is too expensive too cumbersome and too restrictive. If the central areas were more amenable to infill, multi-mixed use with less restrictive zoning you would see significant relief in housing prices in the central area. But the only way to do this is to densify.
I didn't say there weren't jobs in the core. But growth in the core isn't meaningful if there isn't GROWTH in jobs in the core.

They don't make semiconductors in the core. Nor is a lot of software written there.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:57 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

I'm going to trust the word of someone who actually lives in a particular area about how far they have to travel to work, school, shopping, parks, etc., far more than I am going to believe you with your particular let's all live in skyscrapers agenda.

Many people would say the very same thing about what you want for Austin, by the way. Lifeless, soul sucking skyscrapers - they're even famous for being so!
Where are you getting that I'm advocating everyone live in a skyscraper? You keep repeating this nonsense and it's never been true.

Skyscrapers are great in the CBD - in fact in the CBD there shouldn't be any height restrictions. But outside the CBD there are tons and tons of ways to densify that don't involve skyscrapers. I've never once advocated for such.

Infill, VMU and MF zoning, ending moratoriums on development, encouraging infill where ever possible in the urban core. . .none of these things I advocate have anything to do with skyscrapers.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:20 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,057,378 times
We live about 12 miles SW of downtown. We go downtown/zilker park at least twice a week for entertainment purposes. My son has an improv class downtown (so that gets us there once a week) and then we typically walk Town lake every week.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:38 PM

522 posts, read 657,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I didn't say there weren't jobs in the core. But growth in the core isn't meaningful if there isn't GROWTH in jobs in the core.

They don't make semiconductors in the core. Nor is a lot of software written there.
True, but UT isn't located in Cedar Park. The fact of the matter is that about a third of the TOTAL jobs in the five-county CAMPO planning region is located in a few zip codes downtown. And with pipeline projects considered, we're looking at employment growth downtown that will turn I-35 and MoPac into more of a parking lot than they already are.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:12 PM

912 posts, read 1,285,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb9152 View Post
True, but UT isn't located in Cedar Park. The fact of the matter is that about a third of the TOTAL jobs in the five-county CAMPO planning region is located in a few zip codes downtown. And with pipeline projects considered, we're looking at employment growth downtown that will turn I-35 and MoPac into more of a parking lot than they already are.
Is UT hiring significantly more people than five years ago? I mean, all of Apple's 3000 new jobs are off of Parmer, and so are GM's 500 new jobs. Is there a good comparison of the job growth rates in the core vs. the suburbs? This thread was started by someone whose husband is working in Cedar Park. I used to work downtown, and I used to know people that work downtown, but that's not the case anymore. The jobs seem to be moving out.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:53 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,375,104 times
There's going to be a new medical school and a ton of development along Waller Creek.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:39 PM

522 posts, read 657,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmer View Post
Is UT hiring significantly more people than five years ago?
Not to my knowledge, but it's not something that I'd be routinely privy to. That's not what I was referring to, anyway. There are other "pipeline projects" (like the consolidation of state office space downtown) that will result in significant job growth or movement of jobs downtown. My point about UT is that it isn't going away, and it as an institution will certainly not be hiring any LESS than it does now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmer View Post
I mean, all of Apple's 3000 new jobs are off of Parmer, and so are GM's 500 new jobs. Is there a good comparison of the job growth rates in the core vs. the suburbs? This thread was started by someone whose husband is working in Cedar Park. I used to work downtown, and I used to know people that work downtown, but that's not the case anymore. The jobs seem to be moving out.
Anecdotally, that may be true for you and the people you "used to know", but if you check out the NCTCOG and CAMPO web sites for population and employment projections, you'll see that the suburbs *do* grow significantly. So does the downtown, which already has 1/3 of all jobs in the area concentrated in a few zip codes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin