Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 04:13 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,224,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Compared to what? In what way?
I'm from the west, I was shocked at the quality, shelf life and cost of produce here.
Its interesting, my son is in grad school. Son said he and several classmates all got into a conversation recently about produce. His classmates that are from areas like Louisiana and Georgia and the east coast find the produce selection/quality/price etc to be amazing. The classmates that are from California, Oregon, Washington and Nevada find it dismal. It really is all about what one is used to and while I know that this is where we now live, when one has been exposed to something else, it is very hard to not compare. I think that unless someone has lived in many places, the thought that there is something better/different/worse out there is all relative to ones life experience.

So, we have learned to look for things that we are not familiar with but that are more local and therefore fresher. I am learning to cook more with the assorted peppers and melons and less with zucchini, summer squash and pit fruits. I was at HEB yesterday looking at the cucumbers and they were just not (IMO) fit to purchase. There was another shopper looking at the same cucumbers and she said "oh these look great, so much better than what they had the other day" its all relative to ones experience. What really surprised me was the produce that would never even make it to a shelf in NV is common place at HEB. Stuff that is beaten up, bruised and rotting.

As to where I shop - I shop at HEB, Costco, TJ's and Sprouts. They all have their good and bad. For price and shelf life I find that Costco has the best produce. Sprouts is hit and miss as is HEB and at TJ's I don't even look at their produce. Walmart, Target etc have horrid produce IMO and I don't even bother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 05:55 PM

27 posts, read 33,656 times
When I moved to SoCal from Texas, I was SHOCKED at the prices at the grocery stores, the restaurants, the cinemas, etc. However, rent prices were actually pretty good.

For me....back in the '80s, Trader Joe's was more of a Specialty Store with items I couldn't find at Von's, Ralph's, Lucky, etc. Being the young 20ish person I was, I didn't really have any need for "specialty items" on a non-Specialty Item Budget. So........for what it's worth, that is my Reference Point. Tiki Huts, falafel sandwiches and all.

A couple of years ago...........went to a Traitors in SD, CA and it was NOT the place I remembered. There are a LOT of Trader Joe's out there now...........it IS NOT SPECIAL anymore, IMO.

IF you think Costco's produce has a good "shelf life"........all I can say is that you must be HARDY.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:07 PM

Addendum............both sets of my grandparents, along with my parents, had vegetable gardens. Here in Texas.

Mama, you may be "shocked," but they thrived. Also, thank Goodness I had Louisianan relatives who knew how to cook well before Emeril could say "BAM!"

Old 09-29-2013, 07:27 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,700,559 times
I'm not saying that anyone here does this, but just because produce isn't always "pretty" to look at, doesn't mean it's bad. Lots of veggies and fruits with just cosmetic irregularities get thrown out before they even hit the grocery store, and just rot in the fields. If perchance some of that cosmetically "unattractive" produce does make it into a store, it also goes to waste because people think it's not as good as the "perfect" looking produce. I watched a show on food network once where 4 chefs were challenged to use "throwaway" items, make a meal with them and then serve it to a group of diners who didn't know they were using bruised or cracked produce, etc...They couldn't tell the difference.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:33 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,280,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
I think that unless someone has lived in many places, the thought that there is something better/different/worse out there is all relative to ones life experience.

First, you should be congratulated for adapting to the differences here - California is a great place, but their citrus fruit doesn't hold a candle to Valley fruit, especially red grapefruit. We hae almost no stone fruits, but our peaches are miles ahead of theirs. If this is really important to you, I'd suggest trying some of the locally grown produce at the farmer's markets - I especially like Johnson's Backyard Garden.

But in large part, pining over what one is missing is a pointless exercise. I have literally lived all over the world. French produce, even in the hypermarches, makes the best of America look wretched. Even Antonelli's doesn't have the variety of cheeses found in the French analog to Walmart. Guess what - there are no tomatillos in a German market. I know when I moved to Calformia, the variety and quality of the produce was amazing - first fresh asparagus I'd ever had (but the oysters suck, and the shrimp is always frozen). The point is, to enjoy the differences, and realize every place reflects its environment - for good AND for bad.

PS - once you've eaten a Poteet strawberry, you'll never go back to those plastic clamshell abominations from Cali.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
First, you should be congratulated for adapting to the differences here - California is a great place, but their citrus fruit doesn't hold a candle to Valley fruit, especially red grapefruit. We hae almost no stone fruits, but our peaches are miles ahead of theirs. If this is really important to you, I'd suggest trying some of the locally grown produce at the farmer's markets - I especially like Johnson's Backyard Garden.

But in large part, pining over what one is missing is a pointless exercise. I have literally lived all over the world. French produce, even in the hypermarches, makes the best of America look wretched. Even Antonelli's doesn't have the variety of cheeses found in the French analog to Walmart. Guess what - there are no tomatillos in a German market. I know when I moved to Calformia, the variety and quality of the produce was amazing - first fresh asparagus I'd ever had (but the oysters suck, and the shrimp is always frozen). The point is, to enjoy the differences, and realize every place reflects its environment - for good AND for bad.

PS - once you've eaten a Poteet strawberry, you'll never go back to those plastic clamshell abominations from Cali.
It is "funny" how we are particular to certain types of foods in certain locations. I am very particular about my shrimp! and grapefruit! My SO is very particular about corn and tomatoes given the Midwestern upbringing. I shop at Farmers' Markets....there is plenty there and nothing to complain about outside of cost.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:13 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I'm not saying that anyone here does this, but just because produce isn't always "pretty" to look at, doesn't mean it's bad. Lots of veggies and fruits with just cosmetic irregularities get thrown out before they even hit the grocery store, and just rot in the fields. If perchance some of that cosmetically "unattractive" produce does make it into a store, it also goes to waste because people think it's not as good as the "perfect" looking produce. I watched a show on food network once where 4 chefs were challenged to use "throwaway" items, make a meal with them and then serve it to a group of diners who didn't know they were using bruised or cracked produce, etc...They couldn't tell the difference.

And then there's this: The Great Grocery Smackdown: Walmarts vs. Whole Foods.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:50 PM

The Absolute Most Disgusting Store I Have Ever Step Foot in is The Walmart Grocery across the street from the OLD Sears Building in Louisville, KY. Second Worst was the Walmart on Ben White.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:04 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,060,267 times
I came home the other night and my wife had a nice plate of boneless chicken with sautéed veggies (Brussels sprouts, mushrooms, onions, asparagus, etc). Eating it I said "this is really good, where did you get the chicken". She said "I bought everything at Trader Joe's". Well now.

I asked for her take on Trader Joe's. She said "it looks like it's really good for busy people and I like that it's smaller and has smaller ready to prepare portions". She said more but that sums it up. She likes it. She thinks the prices are good too.

I'll take another spin through now that things have died down a bit, but if Mamma's happy, I'm happy.

Steve

Old 10-02-2013, 10:15 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,557,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I came home the other night and my wife had a nice plate of boneless chicken with sautéed veggies (Brussels sprouts, mushrooms, onions, asparagus, etc). Eating it I said "this is really good, where did you get the chicken". She said "I bought everything at Trader Joe's". Well now.

I asked for her take on Trader Joe's. She said "it looks like it's really good for busy people and I like that it's smaller and has smaller ready to prepare portions". She said more but that sums it up. She likes it. She thinks the prices are good too.

I'll take another spin through now that things have died down a bit
, but if Mamma's happy, I'm happy.

Steve
Words to live by...

Or to put it another way: "If SHE ain't...WE ain't !"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin