Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 5,999 times

Advertisements

My family and I are new to the area (moved here in July) and are having a hard time meeting families with young children in the Lakeway area.
Most of the neighbors we have are retired couples or widows.
I have heard that alot of the families will be out when summer hits - swim center and parks. Just trying to figure out how to get involved in the community and maybe meet some other families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 01:37 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,434,427 times
Why did you choose Lakeway? You should have considered Steiner Ranch if you wanted to live by the lake. I believe that most of the people in Lakeway are older and retired. That might change in the future though. I would have considered Circle C or many other areas that cater to children.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:20 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,280,234 times
The Four Points news (we get it in River place) always advertises a MOMs group of Lakeway...maybe you can get started there!

Old 01-17-2008, 02:28 PM

11 posts, read 51,479 times
Welcome to Austin, Julz! Please excuse llkltk's rudeness. Lakeway is a great, family-oriented community and I'm sure you'll find more younger children soon. Have you tried local playgrounds or the library? The Lake Travis Library has story time in the mornings. Go to the Barnes and Noble at the Hill Country Galleria and you'll find lots of tots playing on the train table in the children's area.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 5,844 times
Julz, we are new to Lakeway too, moved here in June. I have two small children and they love it! Here are some options that I've found: There are several great parks, the new library at the Galleria has story time on Thursday mornings, my daughter is enrolled in dance class at 620 Dance Theatre - a ton of her friends from pre-school go there too, as well as Flipnastics at Oak Grove shopping center. Also, if your kids are pre-school aged, check out Lakeway Christian Preschool. I have made many new friends with the moms there, they are all really involved and there is no shortage of playdates! I hope this helps! By the way, most of the moms I have met are new to the Lakeway area too, so I imagine that the mommy/kiddo population here is growing very quickly!! Plus, I think the homes are more custom and unique here and on larger lots than in Steiner Ranch - just my opinion though!

Old 02-15-2008, 03:31 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,466,073 times
The community center offers classes for kids...although, they may be mostly in the summer.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:48 AM

3 posts, read 12,296 times
How old are your children? If you're looking for something for them to do in the summer, there's a new day camp in Lakeway at the Lakeway Resort and Spa.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:58 PM

3 posts, read 30,579 times
There's a new kids gym in Lakeway called My Time. It is just past the main Lakeway entrance by China Pacific/Mailbox/Lake Travis Thrift Store. My kids beg to go, they love it. They have drop-off for older kids (3ish) and mommy and me type classes for under two. I think they also have classes for school age??? It's very different in that they have open gym following class that has bounce houses, dress up, blocks, etc. They also teach abc's and 123's in the curriculum. I've met a lot of mommies (and nannies) there that are super nice.

We also like to go to storytime at Bee Cave Library on Fridays 10:30AM and Lakeway's City Park is always fun.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:30 AM

45 posts, read 173,384 times
Default Lakeway is full of kids

I think there is lots of great advise in the replies to your moms in Lakeway. I have lived in Lakeway since '93 and i'm fairly young (I think!) at 36, no kids but lots of friends with kids and I just moved to closer to Hurst creek park and I always see kids there. I have friends with small kids here in lakeway, falconhead and the hills of lakeway that are swamped with stuff for the kids and found lots of friends. Lakeway library, activity center, pools, parks are great ways to wander around and meet people. If you or any of your family are members of any of the clubs--fitness, golf, tennis, etc you will be shocked at how many are out here. There are social clubs and new comer groups that are also helpful if you are feeling lost. A lot of the "older people" like my parents have family that live in the area and are extremely friendly so just start smiling and meeting the neighbors no matter what because most people have the time to stop and say hi. As the weather continues to get warmer you will find more people out and about. As you can see, I love it here and let me know your kids ages and maybe I can get you connected with some other friends and clients!

Old 06-25-2008, 07:32 AM

5 posts, read 27,768 times
Default My Time Kids Gym in Lakeway

Mom's you have GOT to visit My Time kids gym in Lakeway. I live in the Lakeway/Bee Caves area and I was looking for program that had tumble, ballet, and cheer classes for my 3 girls that was closer than JW Tumbles because of the cost of gas. The best part is they have a drop in program for up to 2 hours at no additional cost. I had heard about it through friends and they mentioned that the Randalls receipt had a 2 week free trial.

I met Lorie, the owner of My Time and she is about the sweetest person I have ever met. I walked in and they were doing Baby Time class (similiar to Gymboree) but the quality of the program seemed so much more interactive. Ballet was just getting started and she has a teacher that is from the Los Angeles Ballet Academy. The classes get full quick so you may want to call her. I don't have a copy of the classes but her website is My Time - Home

I can't say enough about Lorie, she is wonderful. She's at 512-925-5515 or misslorie@mytimekids.com

If anyone has a good reference for a realtor, I would appreciate it.
Brooke
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin