Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 10:24 PM

2 posts, read 26,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Back to the original question: In general, yes, there are more crawling things in Texas, and they are often bigger in size than in Wisconsin. If you truly have a phobia, if you are really "worrying" about them, it probably would be best not to come to Texas. If, on the other hand, you are able to adjust your feelings about these things and just take them in stride, you would probably be fine. You should move to someplace you enjoy, and if these creatures prevent you from enjoying Texas, you should look for another place that suits your sensibilities.
UNfortunately, I do not have the choice to move where I am more suited to the climate. I'm from California and have lived in Mountains, deserts and cities, but never jungles. So right after posting the previous question, I found one crawling and took a pic. I would have absolutely no problem with this little guy about two years ago, but now that I have a 13 month old bebe, I'm much more aware of bites and their effects. I don't know the difference between centipedes and millipedes, aside from millipedes having jointed legs. But which one is poisonous or dangerous? My husband finds these crawlers curled up in a circle on the rug several times a week. I have seen more than a few just crawling across the floor in the kitchen or on the ceiling. I need to know if they are dangerous to a pint-size 22lb human.

It's about an inch long.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 10:38 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAgoldbear View Post
I don't know the difference between centipedes and millipedes, aside from millipedes having jointed legs. But which one is poisonous or dangerous? My husband finds these crawlers curled up in a circle on the rug several times a week. I have seen more than a few just crawling across the floor in the kitchen or on the ceiling. I need to know if they are dangerous to a pint-size 22lb human.
That's a millipede. Not dangerous.

Way to tell the difference:

* 1 set of legs per segment (and usually larger) = Centipede
* Multiple sets of legs per segment = Millipede

It's weird, the last home I had in NW Hills would get millipedes (and they'd be curled up dead everywhere, which was annoying but harmless). Our current house by the Barton Creek Greenbelt never has them. I'm not sure why. I have been using ABC pest control, but I did that at the old place too.

They seem to be seasonal, too. Like junebugs, but a longer season. Not year round like roaches or spiders.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:23 AM

117 posts, read 347,483 times
We bought in Escalera Ranch in Georgetown, house was unoccupied for a year or so. So far, four scorpions (three upstairs, one downstairs), a tarantula in the garage, another tarantula swimming in the pool, small millipede, numerous scary looking and noisy-as-hell katydids chirping constantly and crawling on the side of the house and pool deck. We had the house treated by ABC and also put glue traps by all the exterior doors and caught some baby scorpions, one large scorpion, numerous crickets and a few spiders. Helps identify which weatherstripping isn't sealing properly. Hoping things settle down here shortly!

That's not counting the numerous deer everywhere out here, the bobcat, coyotes, wild pigs and the mountain lion we saw in here when we were househunting in the spring. And, the last couple of days, something has been pooping in our driveway. A dog, I hope ...

Old 06-15-2010, 10:27 AM

63 posts, read 165,743 times
bugs yes. my bug bites have just now finally healed after leaving austin. mosquitos love me,... and they also love austin so the combination turned me into a human feast.

fire ants.. eek... i grew up in the north and had never encountered these and was unpleasantly surprised when i was locking up my bike to suddenly have my foot start hurting.. .then i looked down and was covered in ants. not fun... watch your step.

as far as snakes: i never encountered these. i think i encountered one roach when down there. i didnt see too many large scary bugs, just a lot of small bite-y bugs that left all sorts of ugly bite marks over my body.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:08 PM

16 posts, read 30,374 times
Well, I live along FM 620 North near 2222. In the apartment complex that my wife and I live in, we haven't seen any snakes (knock on wood), but we have had a scorpion in our apartment and we have seen a couple of tarantulas outside. The mosquitos are ridiculous around here. I usually go out on the patio with pants on because they kill my legs. Otherwise I love it down here.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,231 times
I'm from New Mexico and have our house sprayed monthly, therefore we rarely encounter any spiders, cockroaches, centipedes, etc. in our home or around the yard. We tend to have fly's in the warm summer months, but mosquitoes are not much of a problem (also, we do not live outside city limits). What is Georgetown like as far as bugs, spiders, cockroaches, mosquitoes, etc.? Does monthly pest control help?

Old 01-18-2011, 11:29 AM

92 posts, read 308,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Don't snakes sometimes come up toilet pipes as well?

Are you serious? ....I live in Onion Creek and one of my friends in the neighborhood who sees snakes in her back yard quite often....her house is back to the green belt. Does it mean that we will get snakes in the back yard if we get a house w/ green belt, lake, pond view? I'm afraid of snakes the most and then there are those unfriendly scorpions.....

Old 01-18-2011, 02:48 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,995 times
You want snakes in your backyard if they're not poisonous. The reason there are snakes around is there are likely rats around.
Snakes are rodent eating machines.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:27 PM

92 posts, read 308,782 times
I really don't want snakes in the back yard - how can you keep the snakes out of your area?

Old 01-18-2011, 06:16 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newie80 View Post
I really don't want snakes in the back yard - how can you keep the snakes out of your area?
You can't keep them out completely if you are right next to habitat. You can build a solid fence. That might keep out some critters and cut down the frequency of others, but snakes can get over a fence if they sense a meal on the other side. I would recommend that you live in a house that does not run up to greenbelt. Get some houses, yards and streets between you and wildlife habitat. That won't guarantee anything, but it should cut down the numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin