Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 11:32 PM

682 posts, read 2,422,698 times

Advertisements

I've applied to a couple graduate schools in the central TX area, and I'm wondering if anyone can give me some insight on allergies in TX and how that might compare with the Portland area.

I've been reduced to a wheezy, gasping, crying, mouth-breather over the years in Portland, and my allergist confirmed that I'm allergic to every deciduous tree in North America, weeds, animals, mold, etc. Strangely though, not grasses. Spring is a miserable affair with all the trees in bloom, but it settles out okay into summer as the grasses come up.

I would appreciate any feedback, but especially from those who've dealt with both areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 01:38 PM

246 posts, read 857,740 times
I have not ever been in Portland long enough to get a sense of the allergy situation there, but it's pretty bad in Austin. The worst is actually during the winter, when the cedar pollen is in the air and everyone gets "cedar fever." There's also a lot of mold here, which really sucks because it's a year long deal. It gets worse every year after you move here, too. Usually the third year you're here you really notice it, that's what happened to my wife.

I'm a very allergic person, when I took the allergy test I was a 3 or 4 (out of 4) on almost every item. I was taking Claritin or Zyrtec almost every day, but then I started getting the allergy shots a few months ago. I actually just got back from taking my final twice-a-week shot, and have no graduated on to once-a-week shots. The shots work really, really well. I haven't taken any allergy medicine in quite some time, and I've seen people suffering around me. After a while I'll graduate to shots once every two or three weeks, and in a few years I'll probably have a high enough tolerance built up that I can stop taking the shots and be "cured" forever.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:55 PM

554 posts, read 745,258 times
Default Allergy Capitol of Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by figmalt View Post
I've applied to a couple graduate schools in the central TX area, and I'm wondering if anyone can give me some insight on allergies in TX and how that might compare with the Portland area.

I've been reduced to a wheezy, gasping, crying, mouth-breather over the years in Portland, and my allergist confirmed that I'm allergic to every deciduous tree in North America, weeds, animals, mold, etc. Strangely though, not grasses. Spring is a miserable affair with all the trees in bloom, but it settles out okay into summer as the grasses come up.

I would appreciate any feedback, but especially from those who've dealt with both areas.
Having spent 25-plus years in the Austin area before I left, I can tell you that Austin is politely known as the "Allergy Capitol of Texas" - sometimes it feels like it's "the World," though.
Spring brings all those blooms that you claim to be allergic to as well, in Austin. Between December & late January, there is mountain-juniper-tree pollen, which causes "Cedar Fever." If you've got it, you know it! It'll be almost-exactly-similar to what you're experiencing in Portland.
In the late Summer-early Fall, there are these magnificent yellow blooms from Ragweed; they'll literally take your breath away.
High-sensitivity to molds may cause issues from early Spring thru early Summer, because of the rains, & storms.
Other than these (3) seasons, you won't have any trouble (he said, tongue-in-cheek).
I finally had to get allergy shots, to build up an immunity because I was so miserable during those times. If we get to move back there, I'll (probably) have to get boosters, or something.
Y' can't sugar-coat it ... When folks are miserable with allergic reactions, they're MISERABLE!

Old 03-17-2010, 03:41 PM

130 posts, read 386,440 times
If you want allergies but sunshine, Austin,TX. If you want rains and gloomy days ,Portland,OR.
Having lived in both places, Austin,TX wins by large margin! to me.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:33 PM

682 posts, read 2,422,698 times
I did the immunotherapy while I still had a real job and insurance, but it's hard to find a college health plan with that kind of service! I'm definitely restarting once I get back into the workforce. I noticed a huge difference during the spring, even after only a few months of the regimen.

We get plenty of mold and mildew here too, as you can imagine. It's the trees that really kill me.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:33 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,533,678 times
Austin ranks much more highly than any cities in the Pacific Northwest for allergies. And in the fall it oftens wins as the allergy capital of the U.S. So I don't expect you will them to be better in Austin and likely worse in fact. We lived in Austin for 10 years total. My husband and kids suffered badly there...me, not too much...just with molds. Now that we live in Seattle, no one but me suffers...from trees for about 6 weeks a year. That being said, many people who live in Austin do allergy shots and they seem to help. Good luck...it's a great city if you can get past the allergies!

Old 03-18-2010, 12:58 PM

680 posts, read 1,383,452 times
Austin is HEINOUS for allergies! If you're prone to having such issues, you might be OK for a short time but eventually your body will begin to react. And we never get a break --- every month of the year we have allergens in abundance. My sister moved to Seattle from Southern California partly because of her allergy problems and she has done much better in the Pacific Northwest. And that's comparing Seattle to So Cal, not Austin, which is much worse than So Cal.

Bon chance!

Old 03-18-2010, 01:19 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
See the chart here which shows when the major allergens are common in central Texas. Central Texas Allergy & Asthma Center - Allergist, Austin, Texas - Patient Education
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin