Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will finish higher in the points in 2021
Kyle Larson 24 92.31%
Darrel Bubba Wallace 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 08:46 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Look.. This happens. i mean, let's be honest.. Junior was rarely a 'top' driver. But he was 100% the face of the sport. He did have a few very good years, but..

Sometimes, people just get chosen to be.. 'the guy'.. For reasons other than talent. For the moment, that's Bubba. Previously, it was Danica..

Junior was AT BEST a borderline HoF candidate based on his driving career. But, he made it in.
I was a very frustrated Jr fan because of his driving but let's be honest, he was the most popular driver for most of his career and his last name is as synonymous with NASCAR as Petty. Let's not compare Dale Jr to Wallace or Danica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2021, 12:31 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times
Quote:
Look.. This happens. i mean, let's be honest.. Junior was rarely a 'top' driver. But he was 100% the face of the sport. He did have a few very good years, but..

Sometimes, people just get chosen to be.. 'the guy'.. For reasons other than talent. For the moment, that's Bubba. Previously, it was Danica..

Junior was AT BEST a borderline HoF candidate based on his driving career. But, he made it in.
Comparing Danica and Bubba is as moronic as comparing Bubba and Kyle.

Bubba has won. He was very good in trucks. Average in average equipment in Xfinity, didn’t win but had top 5s and 10s And adequate in decent equipment in Cup. He hasn’t won, but drove well enough in Petty average/below average cars.

JR was the ultimate hype machine. Drove top of the line equipment for a team that was winning championships. Daddy got him in the HOF.

Old 06-05-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Word is they're going after Kurt.. Which.. Look, Kurt is talented as hell.. But.. It takes some work to put a team around him that will put up with him.

He's basically worn out his welcome everywhere he's been other than Ganassi.. And.. Well, SHR to an extent.
Yeah, I remember Dale Jr talking about Kurt being one of the best at understanding what a car needs and conveying that to the team but if you read the link. The question posed to Hamlin , would it help Wallace to have a teammate with experience. Hamlins response... “I don’t know. I think that I’m teammates with Bubba (Wallace) so he’s already got that. I don’t think that we necessarily have to have that because he’s got me, Martin (Truex Jr.) and Kyle (Busch) that work very, very close with him. We’re in the same meetings. I don’t know if there’s a benefit or detriment either way, but certainly I look at a lot of different things when it comes to who a prospective person could be.”
Ouch, sounds like they are probably going to go after a driver that can win in their equipment.

Old 06-05-2021, 01:08 PM

Quote:

Like I said . Jr frustrated the hell out of me, he too often erred on the side of getting along , not making anyone mad and wanting to be liked and respected by the other drivers. All very admirable and I believe he accomplished that, but in my opinion he lost races and never became a champion in the sport because of it. Having said that, I don't think there is anyone that knows the history of the sport like Jr. In addition his advancement of young drivers through the sport through his own race teams maybe unrivaled including 3 Champions Keselowski, Truex and Elliott.
I dont think anyone doubted Jr was going to be in the HOF, I was a little surprised how early he went in but then again their talking about Carl Edwards for crying out loud.

Old 06-06-2021, 09:30 AM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I was a very frustrated Jr fan because of his driving but let's be honest, he was the most popular driver for most of his career and his last name is as synonymous with NASCAR as Petty. Let's not compare Dale Jr to Wallace or Danica.

I think it's fair to compare him so far as being 'the chosen one' as Bubba and Danica have been.

The most popular driver.. His name got him that. And honestly, I hate it, because it's sad that he and Bill Elliott basically have monopolized that award. And now Chase has taken up that mantle.

Folks like Stewart, Gordon and so on never won that due to the blind allegiance of Junior fans.

But, a mildly fair comparison is Junior and Kyle Petty. I mean, both were good drivers, with Junior certainly being better and no doubt in better equipment for most of his career. And, admittedly, both get something of an unfair shake because they are by default compared to their more famous fathers.

Old 06-06-2021, 04:39 PM

Just checked in on Sonoma with 20 to go Larson 1ST, Wallace 35TH.

Old 06-06-2021, 08:21 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Just checked in on Sonoma with 20 to go Larson 1ST, Wallace 35TH.

Haven't watched the race yet, but Bubba finished 14th, so.. Must have had a nice comeback.

Old 06-07-2021, 05:12 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times
Quote:
Haven't watched the race yet, but Bubba finished 14th, so.. Must have had a nice comeback.
Buuba had a great comeback. 34th, one lap down, with 30 to go. It wasn't exactly his fault that he had a flat tire 3/4 of the track away from the pits.

But again, why is anyone comparing the guy who used the N word (twice) with the only African-American in the field?

Old 06-07-2021, 06:47 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,818,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Buuba had a great comeback. 34th, one lap down, with 30 to go. It wasn't exactly his fault that he had a flat tire 3/4 of the track away from the pits.

But again, why is anyone comparing the guy who used the N word (twice) with the only African-American in the field?
Because the title of this thread is: Kyle Larson vs Bubba Wallace who is going to have a better 2021

And why do people still hold a grudge? Larson was wrong. He apologized multiple times, publicly. He went through race training classes and did everything that was asked of him plus more. He is heavily into charity and now has a much better understanding of what it's like to walk in a black man's shoes than he had before.

What more does he need to do? Are you saying that Bubba is perfect and never said a racist thing in his life?

It's time to move on. This thread is to compare the two drivers the OP asked about.

Old 06-07-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Indeed... another top 20
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing