Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2010, 05:59 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,168,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
There should be a world car...avaiable to all, not manditory, not taxed more or less. Just a car that ALL auto companies could make, super economy MPG, easy to repair ( no insurance needed), and affordable for the masses. No more being upside down in your car, no more repo man crap, and everything in it would be recyclable. Your annual rtegestration would cost more as the car got older, not like now where its less with age.
Its time for a Peoples car again....first we had the Model T....then the VW...now we need the same again....for those who want it.
The "big brother", I mean, "world car" sounds like a pretty boring car to drive. What current car do model do you envision this car to most closely resemble? A Prius?

I think I'll be keeping my Lotus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 06:19 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
The "big brother", I mean, "world car" sounds like a pretty boring car to drive. What current car do model do you envision this car to most closely resemble? A Prius?

yeah also for a world car it would need to be made for place with no road so a prius would suck. the old air cooled VW beetle is what I would call a world car. it can run on leaded or un-leaded or even bio fuels and any third world country can fix it and parts are easy to come by.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:36 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,949,630 times
Quote:
You would not ever be upside down on a car note anymore. Peoples car prices would be fixed, so would be their value at " trade in" time. They all would be recycled, no used car lots. The incentive to turn it in for a new one by increasing the reg. fees every year, levels the field, keeps production constant, and allows for inovation, upgrades as tech. goes foward.
I'm sure you don't mean a truly "fixed" trade-in value; what with the wide difference in condition and mileage that people's cars go though over the course of 4 years. And that value would be dirt cheap compared to the new car, because such a scenario would surely result in a glut of whatever crapmobile is in question.

What would the old ones be recycled into, anyways, if people have to turn them in after 4 years?

Quote:
Check out the numbers now. Most people trade cars before the last one is paid off. The difference in the deal is based on the " trade in value", which often puts people upside down in their car. The finance costs are folded in and we wind up with another upside down deal, only more so. Its a visious cycle.
Just because some people make poor financial decisions to trade in cars they are upside-down on doesn't mean that the system is broken. If someone buys a new car, there's no reason for that car not to outlast the 5-year note that it's financed through. And there are plenty of lightly used cars that can be had for even cheaper, while providing years of reliable service.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post

What else, but the Pelosi GTXi SS/RT Sport Edition?

Old 07-28-2010, 07:21 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,168,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
What else, but the Pelosi GTXi SS/RT Sport Edition?

I loved that!

Problem solved, we have our world car

Old 07-28-2010, 08:01 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,943,948 times
Quote:
I'm sure you don't mean a truly "fixed" trade-in value; what with the wide difference in condition and mileage that people's cars go though over the course of 4 years. And that value would be dirt cheap compared to the new car, because such a scenario would surely result in a glut of whatever crapmobile is in question.

What would the old ones be recycled into, anyways, if people have to turn them in after 4 years?

Just because some people make poor financial decisions to trade in cars they are upside-down on doesn't mean that the system is broken. If someone buys a new car, there's no reason for that car not to outlast the 5-year note that it's financed through. And there are plenty of lightly used cars that can be had for even cheaper, while providing years of reliable service.
No, remember, who cares about trade in value, when It can not be resold. It must be recycled. In reality is not that much different than leasing a car now. You pay as you go, its just transportation. ... And I don't expect everyone would want one ether, but for those who do, who want basic transportation, it would be a great deal. The Peoples car would be a means for R & D, for developing the way we will drive in the future. The companies that signed on to build it would always have a base market, one they could count on, ...no more fads , cars they can't sell because the price of gas goes down.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:15 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times
Quote:
No, remember, who cares about trade in value, when It can not be resold. It must be recycled. In reality is not that much different than leasing a car now. You pay as you go, its just transportation. ... And I don't expect everyone would want one ether, but for those who do, who want basic transportation, it would be a great deal. The Peoples car would be a means for R & D, for developing the way we will drive in the future. The companies that signed on to build it would always have a base market, one they could count on, ...no more fads , cars they can't sell because the price of gas goes down.
the soviets had a "peoples" car it was called the trabant it was a 2-stroke 2- cylinder that made a monster 18HP in contrast a john deer ride on mower makes more power

Old 07-28-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
When I say "trade-in", of course I mean whatever credit you get back from turning it in. I'm assuming that like a lease, your "credit" value would be reduced if the car had a lot of miles and/or is in poor condition upon return.

What would the old cars be recycled into, if everyone is ditching them?

The part that really doesn't jive, though, is the increasing registration fees as the car gets older. Would this be for just the "people's car"? Or every vehicle on the road?

Old 07-28-2010, 08:49 PM

I know you guys are having fun with the concept, and what the car would look like, what it would do or could do, etc. The point to be made , its not that kinda car, the Peoples car. It more an excessive in the future, a way out of the mess we have got into. Can we economize as a nation?...the question that started this thread....I say yes we can, the development of cutting edge transportation, not just an econo box no body wants...we have had lots of them...you all get the wrong idea about what I propose. Second to home ownership , the automobiles the average family drive is their largest expense outside of food. Things will need to change in the new world we will be living in, a lot of jobs will never come back, our dependence of fossil fuel needs to end, and we need to stop fighting wars over oil.
The peoples car can be done, it can happen for the good of us all. It can be amazing what the American determination is capable of, just remember what happened in 1942 and the transformation of cars to war machines, in less than a year, by the same car companies that produced you average Ford and Chevy. We can do it once again, this time in peace time, as it should be.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
When I say "trade-in", of course I mean whatever credit you get back from turning it in. I'm assuming that like a lease, your "credit" value would be reduced if the car had a lot of miles and/or is in poor condition upon return.

What would the old cars be recycled into, if everyone is ditching them?

The part that really doesn't jive, though, is the increasing registration fees as the car gets older. Would this be for just the "people's car"? Or every vehicle on the road?
I think maybe the value would be 0 after 4 years...open for ideas on that. Remember, it would be a contract. The car could not be resold, therefore has no value. I think in Japan it works that way, not really sure. The credit for turning it in could be the much lower regerstation fees on the new, improved model, and or , tax credits, whatever.
No I do not see this working for every other auto or truck, only the Government backed Peoples car. However , the plan might people to buy new and that could mean jobs in tough times , so who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive