Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 03:23 PM

968 posts, read 2,625,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I absolutely love this argument.

So someone who has a different set of political ideals than you should simply get up and move instead of trying to change something they feel needs change?

I'm sorry to tell you bud, but that's not how the world works.
yes it is...

its why we have states. if you don't like the laws in one state you move to the next state and live there if you like it better. if you don't like the country, you move to another country.

people move all the time. and if you are in the minority and the majority disagrees with you, you have freedom to go somewhere else.

people renounce citizenship all the time. people get permanent visas.

the majority of america doesn't want a "green" nation. we want a fair nation that allows us to be autonomous over our lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 03:34 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,348,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
yes it is...

its why we have states. if you don't like the laws in one state you move to the next state and live there if you like it better. if you don't like the country, you move to another country.

people move all the time. and if you are in the minority and the majority disagrees with you, you have freedom to go somewhere else.

people renounce citizenship all the time. people get permanent visas.

the majority of america doesn't want a "green" nation. we want a fair nation that allows us to be autonomous over our lives.
As much as you are free to move, you're also perfectly free to stay exactly where you are and try to change how it is there. And if someone wants a "green" Texas, or Illinois or Nevada or wherever, they have every right in the world to stay in that state and do whatever they can politically and discuss as much as they want locally and on the internet, to try and make it so.

Anyone claiming otherwise is ignorant, at best.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:39 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,949,630 times
Quote:

So someone who has a different set of political ideals than you should simply get up and move instead of trying to change something they feel needs change?
Maybe. I wouldn't want to live under a government that dictates its citizens' consumer habits.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
Maybe. I wouldn't want to live under a government that dictates its citizens' consumer habits.
Then you are free to work politically against that happening, you have the same rights as any others, but saying others should move because you don't want something is disregarding someone elses rights, equal to yours.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:43 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,496,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Be sure to make sure you add in enough viable, useable, convenient mass transit while you're at it. Mass transit that works EVERYWHERE, and not just select cities. It needs to go where I want it to go, when I want to get there.
Sounds good to me. Raising the gasoline tax enough to completely pay for roads and highways would create excess funds that could be used to make mass-transit better.

Quote:
Oh, and fix the rest of the economy so that small stores that sell the goods we need to live on can survive in small markets and not go out of business, even in areas where the big stores aren't around, so we don't have to drive to the next town to get necessary supplies.
This also sounds good, but not sure how this has anything to do with engine displacement, gas taxes, or fuel efficiency.

Quote:
Remember, unlike a lot of Old World countries, ours was very much created on the backs of railroads and personal transportation covering vast distances.
Rail travel is making a comeback, and...
Quote:
Since it'll be damn hard to own horses again,
Bicycles can be found pretty cheap.

Quote:
you might want to look into the costs of revamping the entire nation so its cities and towns are like 1000 year old European ones. And make personal mobility the realm of the wealthy (which of course, is very un-American).
So, raising the gas tax is un-American? Instead of the government mandating what kind of cars can be manufactured, and limiting the choices available to people, a higher gas tax allows people to choose for themselves the kind of transportation they want to use.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:04 PM

110 posts, read 124,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Sounds good to me. Raising the gasoline tax enough to completely pay for roads and highways would create excess funds that could be used to make mass-transit better.

This also sounds good, but not sure how this has anything to do with engine displacement, gas taxes, or fuel efficiency.

Rail travel is making a comeback, and...

Bicycles can be found pretty cheap.

So, raising the gas tax is un-American? Instead of the government mandating what kind of cars can be manufactured, and limiting the choices available to people, a higher gas tax allows people to choose for themselves the kind of transportation they want to use.
And this is why people detest liberalism. All you liberals want to do is control the behavior of everyone else through taxation and/or government regulation. It's not enough to be left alone and to leave others alone, you liberals have to have the government control every aspect of everyone's daily lives like parents of small children. We live in a free country. If you want to drive around in a little green golf cart then that's your right. But where do you get the nerve thinking you can legislate others out of their cars and into golf carts? Either regulate the auto industry into only making little green golf carts or tax everyone so much that they're forced into giving up their cars in favor of golf carts? Where's the liberty in that? There are plenty of fascist dictatorships in this world you can live in if you hate freedom so much (Cuba, Venezuela, Zimbabwe). But don't tell me to leave my country because I don't want to live my life according to your rules. You have no right.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:04 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,949,630 times
Quote:
Then you are free to work politically against that happening, you have the same rights as any others, but saying others should move because you don't want something is disregarding someone elses rights, equal to yours.
I'm not a giant corporation or union, so my words mean nothing to American politicians.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:55 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,225,602 times
Quote:

I'm sorry to tell you bud, but that's not how the world works.
You still have much to learn about the US my Norwegian friend.

And yeah... that is exactly how the world works. Just think for a few seconds and you will realize how true it is.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
I'm not a giant corporation or union, so my words mean nothing to American politicians.
Do you have any idea how much you can actually do on a local level if you engage in it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
You still have much to learn about the US my Norwegian friend.

And yeah... that is exactly how the world works. Just think for a few seconds and you will realize how true it is.
It might be your defeatist solution to things, but a decent amount of us prefer to try and better thing where we are instead of running away.

I even try to influence people where I'm not.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:54 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,225,602 times
Quote:
It might be your defeatist solution to things, but a decent amount of us prefer to try and better thing where we are instead of running away.

I even try to influence people where I'm not.
I guess your missing something here. You have two opposing sides here trying to promote what they think is best. The minority opinion typically loses. The opinion of the OP is certainly in the minority. Why? Because thats how were are over here... everyone who doesn't like it can either try to change it and likely fail or they can just leave. They have the right to that choice.

So when you see that the majority of this thread is most certainly opposed to the OP it is quite clear that the American way is at work. That's why I love this country. However when you start to shift the power from the people to the government that is when the sh*t hits the fan for Constitutional Americans such as myself. We are not intended to be a people run by the government, it's the other way around... completely. For the government to coerce its people to only own only property they deem acceptable, as in this case, is ridiculous.

It's not going to happen. I'm going to drive whatever I wish to drive. And I expect to be treated just the same as any other driver on the road.

Last edited by Lux Hauler; 07-16-2010 at 07:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive