Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 06:58 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,299,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
I try to never have to back out of a parking space. I can't tell where the back end of my one car is,
If you can't tell where the back of the car is, how do you back into a spot and not hit anything? Seems like a flimsy excuse, to me.

Backing out takes less time than backing in. Backing in blocks the trunk if you're at the store. Many car have horrible blind spots for backing into places (vans, trucks with bed caps, some hatchbacks with thick C pillars, etc), so it takes vastly more effort even if you're good at it to back in as youre doing it while turning and missing other poorly parked cars can then be an issue. Backing out IS much easier. And since I feel no need to prove my manhood by backing in all teh time 'cause it's harder, then I'll nose it in.

I back up my travel trailer down my street so I can back it into it's parking spot next to the garage. I can back up. I choose not to if it's not necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 06:59 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,299,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
Can't say I've ever seen one that required it. There are some that encourage it with angled spaces, but I've never seen a sign posted that required you to go in front first.
"head in parking" - Google Search=

Old 09-02-2010, 07:24 AM

268 posts, read 454,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
If you can't tell where the back of the car is, how do you back into a spot and not hit anything? Seems like a flimsy excuse, to me.

Backing out takes less time than backing in. Backing in blocks the trunk if you're at the store. Many car have horrible blind spots for backing into places (vans, trucks with bed caps, some hatchbacks with thick C pillars, etc), so it takes vastly more effort even if you're good at it to back in as youre doing it while turning and missing other poorly parked cars can then be an issue. Backing out IS much easier. And since I feel no need to prove my manhood by backing in all teh time 'cause it's harder, then I'll nose it in.

I back up my travel trailer down my street so I can back it into it's parking spot next to the garage. I can back up. I choose not to if it's not necessary.
I agree. If I can pull straight through, awesome, no backing up required. But backing out is less tedious and requires less time than backing in. When one drives a large lifted diesel, one learns to avoid tedious when possible.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:39 AM

263 posts, read 1,097,822 times
I find it much easier to back in to spaces because if a large SUV/van/pick up truck parks next to you at least you have a better view pulling out of the space looking forward than looking over your shoulder backing out. Nothing against big vehicles it's just difficult to see when they park next to you...especially if you're parked in between. I always try to park in end spaces for this reason as well.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:12 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,210,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
Can't say I've ever seen one that required it. There are some that encourage it with angled spaces, but I've never seen a sign posted that required you to go in front first.
I have seen people get tickets for backing in spots in posted lots/garages around town.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:16 AM

955 posts, read 3,649,501 times
I don't get the backing in - are you needing to make a fast get-away?

If there is a through spot where I can pull all the way through I all most always do - unless I am shopping and will need to load bags into the back of my SUV - if that is the case - I want the back of my SUV easily accessable.

I am a fan of not backing out if I don't have to!

Old 09-02-2010, 02:50 PM

898 posts, read 1,403,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusySocialWorker View Post
I don't get the backing in - are you needing to make a fast get-away?
Not needing a fast get-away, I just prefer to be pointed in the right direction when I'm leaving. In my car, a 99 Saturn, it is also a visibility thing, because I can't control who parks next to me or how big their vehicle is.

Vans, SUVs, pickup trucks and other long vehicles are almost always easier to back in for me. When you pull straight in, you have to make a 90 degree turn, not always easy in a long vehicle. When you back in, you can adjust your vehicle so that the turn is not so tight.

I also live on a busy street, and it is much easier to get out of the driveway if I don't have to back out.

Quote:
If there is a through spot where I can pull all the way through I all most always do - unless I am shopping and will need to load bags into the back of my SUV - if that is the case - I want the back of my SUV easily accessable.
Makes sense.

Quote:
I am a fan of not backing out if I don't have to!
Nor am I, which is why I back in to the spot if there is no pull-through available. It's just safer that way.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:19 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,868,928 times
I generally always pull through, and I like to back into parking spots.

On a side note: I am going to keep an eye on our downtown next summer because they are changing the downtown parking to reverse angle parking and I can't wait to see the fools who don't know how to back-up try and park. (The link is not to my downtown, but rather to one online that does a good job describing it for those who don't know what it is.)

Old 09-02-2010, 06:46 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,909,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I always end up leaving about six feet behind the car, getting out of the car to see how much space I have left, and then getting a bit closer. In my full size pickup I can do it okay, just not in any car with a trunklid.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:14 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,178,737 times
it's not that hard to back in, but it's not that hard to back out, either IMO. only risk i see is backing out into someone who seems to think a parking lot is a great place to practice their 0-60 times, but it has yet to cause me an issue *knock on wood*

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive